Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
I gave up, sold my 03 MADP this year, got a 21 Dutchstar that has all that stuff in it, and I kinda like it getting used to it. Though my optiview dash just went blank. Using Xcite Rand Mcnally has a dash setting in there for the speedo pretty cool. Hey Dave what was the end result of your headlight upgrades? This new unit has beautiful Dodge Challenger halogen headlights screaming for an upgrade.
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #30

I would like a lot of the driver assist technology if the parameters / sensitivities were easily user adjustable.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #31

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...h=262c84424179

Getting there....95% of the way there.

Foleymech - headlight mod works great. Huge difference. But haven't gotten too many miles in to appreciate nighttime driving. Possible a trip to Orlando in two weeks...I have to get the fresh water system automation mods reconnected and usable...
If you find your new headlights wanting, I am sure there will be complete retrofits for a Challenger lighting. Try theretrofitsource.com
Old 10-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
I will contact retrofit this week
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
It's just a matter of time that fully autonomous driving will be far safer than human.
Or it could become like this famous quote from the 1968 Science Fiction movie
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that." 2001 A Space Odyseey when we want to over ride something and the system will not allow it.

Not sure AI is going to be as rosy as is promised.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #34

I sure like the adaptive cruise and lane-keeping assist in my car. It makes driving long distances a little less tiring, even though one has to stay alert for the tone and HUD warning that it lost track of the lane. I can always override both assists with control inputs.

My brother has been driving truck for 35 years or more. All of the trucks in the fleet he drives for have adaptive cruise, and three Freightliners have lane-keeping assist also. He likes the lane-keeping assist, but some of the drivers do not.

I wonder if drivers complained about putting automatic transmissions in trucks? How about air conditioning? GPS? Power steering? Air brakes? They are all there to take the load off the driver too.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #35

I have a question about the lane keeping assist.
Often times in road construction areas they change the lanes of traffic and it is re-striped for lane-shifts several times over as the construction / paving progresses. Sometimes the paint thats covering the old stripes wears off and the lines can be confusing unless you’re paying attention, could lead you into the other lane.
How will lane assist know which lines to follow?
Old 10-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Often times in road construction areas they change the lanes of traffic and it is re-striped for lane-shifts several times over as the construction / paving progresses. Sometimes the paint thats covering the old stripes wears off and the lines can be confusing unless you’re paying attention, could lead you into the other lane.
Sometimes the lane-keeping assist will get lost. My car will let me know with audible, visual, and haptic alerts that I need to take over momentarily.

It is an assist, not self-driving.

Headed east on the freeway on a wet/rainy morning, the glare makes it hard for me or the camera system to see the lane lines. Exits sometimes confuse the system, and construction zones and freeway cross-overs need manual steering.

In both my car and my wife’s SUV it is easy to over-ride the assisted steering by simply steering the car where we want to go. We feel a slight resistance as we leave the lane the car wants to follow, and after that we are on our own.

My car will change lanes by itself. When lane-keeping assist is on, a partial turn signal will blink the signal, check for interfering traffic, and then execute a lane change if it is safe to do so. (I still look first.)
Old 10-11-2021, 07:52 AM   #37

So it works well for responsible drivers who pay attention.
I worry about irresponsible drivers who due to human nature will inevitably get even lazier and not pay as much attention as they should.
For instance,Texting and social media interaction is already a huge problem. Will driver assist actually help or will people (due to human nature) just feel safer to step up their distractions?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #38

Rexhall Owners Group
I own a car with lane assist and adaptive cruise. I have the lane assist adjusted so it merely beeps. Don't want anything tugging on the wheel when I don't expect it. The adaptive cruise is too slow to react and too aggressive when it does. Fortunately, the system can be turned off and returned to traditional cruise. Albeit it has to be done each time I start the car.

It took 7,000 miles, but finally did get a "put your hands on the wheel" warning and a shut down of the cruise control the other day. DIdn't know it, but the warning appears if the there is no steering input from the driver for 15 seconds. Just happened to be on a freshly paved road and apparently didn't make any steering input. This is a feature I like now that I know to expect it.

My big concern with all the driver's assist stuff is the gradual decline of driving skills from lack of practice. Hand eye coordination takes constant practice. Things like lane centering will reduce. if not eliminate, the daily practice that maintains skills. Golfers can relate to the loss of coordination when you don't play every day - takes a few swings to before things feel right and yield at least the "usual" result. Cruise control reduces physical fatigue and reduces the need to check your speed constantly, but it also reduces your ability to recognize gradual speed changes when driving.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Different systems have different approaches, but they ALL look at actual driving situations (Lidar, infrared, cameras, etc) and THEN calculate what to do about it. ie: same way humans work but better / longer range / no need for visible light sensors.

That should be "obvious" because the system responds real time to other vehicles on the road ie: slows down when a car in front slows down as a simplistic example.

It's NOT just "what is on a map is where I can go". And it's NOT "change speed according to the MPH listed on a map".

But it is very complicated to create the algorithms that a real vehicle encounters and how to react under that dynamic situation. But the majority is done.

Tesla is now ready to sign up 1000 drivers for their "Full Driving" system upgrade to existing Tesla vehicles on the road. Still not "go to sleep and let it drive me there". Driver must still be attentive to take over. So not quite there yet but getting there.

As systems continue to advance (via software updates and / or hardware addons), the number of times a human needs to take over will decrease. Then with lots more time for testing / results, the human will be optional for driving and all will be passengers. JHinmann apparently has a system, but whatever that is, it's not a Full Driving system so it's more like "Super Cruise", unless it's a Tesla and he gets accepted to the Beta test.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #40

I drove west out of idaho on the 12 yesterday, I watched a vw syncro van that could have really used some assist. I passed him but didn't see him behind me a few miles later. Hoped he stopped on his own and not because he blew over.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56safari View Post
……….My big concern with all the driver's assist stuff is the gradual decline of driving skills from lack of practice. Hand eye coordination takes constant practice. Things like lane centering will reduce. if not eliminate, the daily practice that maintains skills.

Ditto !

Heck many people don’t know how to drive at a 4-way stop sign anymore, or turn without a green arrow indicating it’s ok, because traffic lights have spoiled them.

How many people can drive a std shift car any more?
Old 10-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #42

Rexhall Owners Group
Rob,

We actually had to drive a stick in driver's ed. Not every session, but you didn't get the certificate without demonstrating "adequate" skills.

I'll bet all of us commenting make a standard right turn without ever looking at the speedometer and if we did look, the speed is probably within 1-2 mph every time. That's the type of skill I'm afraid will be lost with all the assist systems.

Related story. Our daughter had to learn to drive a stick before we would let her get her license. But her car was an automatic, so she didn't do it much. Her car broke down and until I could get it fixed, let her use mine to get to work after school. Asked her to stop by an auto store to pick up a part. Her response, "can't Dad". Me "Why" Her " because it's on Hill!" Guess practice does help with confidence and skill.

Tags
driver