Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Driver for my Motorhome

Good afternoon everyone. My family and I do lots of traveling on our coach and are in need of some help. I have a few meeting coming up and am looking for someone with a CDL license to help drive the coach when I am not available. We live in Maryland, but my schedule does not always permit me moving the Motorhome from place to place. If you can help me with any ideas I am more than willing to listen.
jealoussea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Cheap RV Shipping & Transport! Find RV Movers and Save! Might be your best option, licensed, bonded, insured, experienced drivers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jealoussea View Post
Good afternoon everyone. My family and I do lots of traveling on our coach and are in need of some help. I have a few meeting coming up and am looking for someone with a CDL license to help drive the coach when I am not available. We live in Maryland, but my schedule does not always permit me moving the Motorhome from place to place. If you can help me with any ideas I am more than willing to listen.
I read this and have a question, if you are working and out of town, why does the Coach need to be moved.......if moved, and you are not there.....does your family just go with the driver to were you tell him to locate it Just wondering ????? If you are not there, why does it need moved??? Just trying to understand your post.....Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

It may be helpful to state where the coach is & where you need it moved to.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Is the CDL requirement something from the state it is registered in, or do you feel that someone with such a license would be more experienced? Perhaps a few seasoned retirees with Rv experience would see this and could help a bit. Soul think a regular flow of licensed drivers would get pricy. Don't blame you for being careful with your investment however .
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran1973 View Post
Is the CDL requirement something from the state it is registered in, or do you feel that someone with such a license would be more experienced? Perhaps a few seasoned retirees with Rv experience would see this and could help a bit. Soul think a regular flow of licensed drivers would get pricy. Don't blame you for being careful with your investment however .

Since the OP lives in Maryland and one would assume the coach is registered in Maryland, any motorhome over 26,000 lbs. requires the driver to have a non-commercial class B license. However this would be a for hire driver situation and thus would require a CDL class A or B license to be operated legally in Maryland.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Response

So hopefully I can answer a few of your questions. The reason for the license requirements are because of the laws in Maryland and the weight of the rig.

The main answer I think a couple of you might be looking for is about why I need a driver. I was a boater for a long time. I carried a 50 ton near costal license, which allowed my to take passengers for hire. I was used quite frequently to work with families and other owners to move their boats wherever they wanted them moved. in fact, I was so close with one family that I went on the trips with them. Fast forward to now and I have my family and limited time.

Moving my coach really is no different. I might be going to a location where I want my coach to be ready for us to arrive. I purchased the coach because I love the lifestyle and the time with my family and friends. Sometimes I don't want have the time to drive it. I would love to go to more NASCAR races. I can't leave work and drive the coach 9 hours to the location. My kids are in school and have sports and other activities and can't miss them.

If I could pack up and travel and not worry about time this question would not be posted. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. My hope is to find a retired person who loves to drive and hire him/her to take the coach wherever we desire. I would fly them home after the job is complete and then start over again for the next trip.

I hope this helps explain what I am looking for. Sorry for the lengthly reply.

Jeremy
jealoussea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I am retired, live in Texas now, moving to Florida in July. I have a class A motorhome that we vacation in. I have a Class A CDL with T&X endorsements and have driven trucks for over 25 years. If you want to fly me around the country to move your motorhome send me a PM.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Jeremy
Thanks for the great explanation Jeremy. I can see your dilemma and appreciate why you want to do what you're looking for. Good luck in your search, it seems like a good thing. I'm personally not qualified but it sounds interesting for someone retired (like you say).
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
You might expand your search by posting a "help wanted" ad in local media or craig's list.

Sounds like hiring a chauffeur.

A charter bus driver might be a candidate.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
So hopefully I can answer a few of your questions. The reason for the license requirements are because of the laws in Maryland and the weight of the rig.

The main answer I think a couple of you might be looking for is about why I need a driver. I was a boater for a long time. I carried a 50 ton near costal license, which allowed my to take passengers for hire. I was used quite frequently to work with families and other owners to move their boats wherever they wanted them moved. in fact, I was so close with one family that I went on the trips with them. Fast forward to now and I have my family and limited time.

Moving my coach really is no different. I might be going to a location where I want my coach to be ready for us to arrive. I purchased the coach because I love the lifestyle and the time with my family and friends. Sometimes I don't want have the time to drive it. I would love to go to more NASCAR races. I can't leave work and drive the coach 9 hours to the location. My kids are in school and have sports and other activities and can't miss them.

If I could pack up and travel and not worry about time this question would not be posted. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. My hope is to find a retired person who loves to drive and hire him/her to take the coach wherever we desire. I would fly them home after the job is complete and then start over again for the next trip.

Jeremy
Understood Jeremy, I just wish that I was retired .......and might just have sometime to help you out......5 to go. Good lick in you quest and Thank you for the answer to my noisy question
Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

Hi Jeremy, My name is Bob and I live in Elizabethtown, Pa. I'm retired and just recently widowed. I have a class A CDL in Pa, but would need to get the medical card. We just sold our MH because of my wife's illness. I love driving. If you would be interested you could message me or call. 717-367-2668

Thanks, Bob Fasnacht
bizsoc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

Lots of folks here but another option would be to visit the local transit authority.

Check with management first to see if drivers are allowed to moonlight then seek names of "best drivers".

They are already licensed for weight and passengers and usually drug screened.

Plus with them local you may consider a towd that they just drive home.

Confirm with your insurance carrier too as paid driver may need to be documented somehow...you performed this with boats so you may already have that covered.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Makes sense to me what he's doing. I think this forum is a great source to find a driver as long a you check them out, easy enough to do in todays world of internet. I think there are many well qualified retired people on this forum who would be interested, Good luck
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, motorhome