Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Driver Needed

Just recently purchased a Tiffin Phaeton and discovered I need a California Class B license due to its length and weight (air brakes too). I've completed a training course, passed the DMV tests (4 of them), passed the physical and am the proud owner of a Class B learners permit. I've scheduled the skills and driving test for Jan 8th in Yuba City, CA and there's my dilemma. I have to show up with a "safety driver" when I arrive for the test. I know no one who holds a Class A or B license to act as said safety driver. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm looking for someone with a CA Class A or B license that would like to ride along. Any volunteers?
J House is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #2

Have you tried the local schools? That's where I went here in Texas.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

Or find some one with a Washington, Oregon, or anyone of the other 45 or so states that don’t require a special license.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

Check school bus drivers (class B), as well as tow truck operators and CDL instructors.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

I'm surprised the training course didn't include the driver's test. When I took my motorcycle training course, I received a certificate that I had also passed the driving course. The same with my CDL training course that included a road test for passing the driving requirements. At least in Michigan, no actual driving was done at the licenses office.
Dosen't your learners permit allow you to drive the MH there? How did you pratice driving with out a safety operator with you? Your training operator should be able to help you here, or even the previous MH owner.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I'm surprised the training course didn't include the driver's test. When I took my motorcycle training course, I received a certificate that I had also passed the driving course. The same with my CDL training course that included a road test for passing the driving requirements. At least in Michigan, no actual driving was done at the licenses office.
Dosen't your learners permit allow you to drive the MH there? How did you pratice driving with out a safety operator with you? Your training operator should be able to help you here, or even the previous MH owner.
Grindstone,

Just like NC. A learners permit is like you're 16 again. You're allowed to drive/practice in the RV, provided there is a properly licensed dmv class a or b driver with you. I could only find someone to show up at testing facility morning of test.

Once I got mine, it was easy foe wife.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

I would be surprised if you showed up for the test without a safety driver and anyone said anything about it. I showed up for two driving tests in TX without anyone and the testers never mentioned it. But, that’s TX, not CA.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Obviously Kansas goes a lot easier on this than CA. I too had no one so I called the DMV and asked if I could just drive myself in the motorhome for the test. Their reply was something like "no problem we are glad you are getting the endorsement"! So I just drove myself & got it done.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J House View Post
Just recently purchased a Tiffin Phaeton and discovered I need a California Class B license due to its length and weight (air brakes too). I've completed a training course, passed the DMV tests (4 of them), passed the physical and am the proud owner of a Class B learners permit. I've scheduled the skills and driving test for Jan 8th in Yuba City, CA and there's my dilemma. I have to show up with a "safety driver" when I arrive for the test. I know no one who holds a Class A or B license to act as said safety driver. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm looking for someone with a CA Class A or B license that would like to ride along. Any volunteers?
Has Calif changed their requirement for the B class? Specifically did they add a weight requirement.
In the past it was just a length requirement as I recall.

It has been four years since leaving Yuba City so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

The Yuba City DMV took three days just to decide what tests to give me. It was two different parts.

Did they actually say you had to have a safety driver there or is this something your "school" mentioned?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #10

Take it to Oregon for Reg. I cant believe anyone would buy a high end Rv that they cant drive.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #11

CA class c: any housecar 40 feet or less.
Non com class B: housecar 40-45.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
Take it to Oregon for Reg. I cant believe anyone would buy a high end Rv that they cant drive.
That's the catch 22 in many states...
Need the proper vehicle to take the test to be legal. No rig no test. Here in NY... and many places folks just drive it for practice but here no accompanying driver no test.
Fire depts in NY also need some non-commercial drivers... not sure about CA
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I would be surprised if you showed up for the test without a safety driver and anyone said anything about it. I showed up for two driving tests in TX without anyone and the testers never mentioned it. But, that’s TX, not CA.
Not so when I took my Class A Exempt in 2012. The DMV tester checked the CDL license of the friend that rode along with me. I guess it depends on the office or tester.

One note, the only thing I had to practice was the parallel parking of my 5th-wheel. My friend said the last time he parallel parked a tractor/trailer rig was when he got his CDL a few decades ago.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

So I got my Entegra in March of '17, purchased in Florida and drove it home to CA.

Even though I was going full time once house sold and I retired I decided to be legal and get the license.

Now I had already driven over 2k miles in the coach and I had a commercial class B a million years ago for work. So while practice is always good I had the basics of driving this size vehicle down fairly well.

Written test was not difficult and I did not have anyone with me for the driving test. My examiner saw me drive up, so no question she knew no one else was with me. Most of the other customers that day were from driving schools, they had the driving school instructors with them.

I found that many at the DMV are not too familiar with dealing with these type of licenses. That goes from what written test to give to how to administer the driving test. They just don't do that many of them. I took the written in Turlock and the driving in Modesto.

I became a resident of SD in July so all that hassle was moot at that point but it sure felt good driving through California when leaving the state knowing I was properly licensed. I believe many who have Motor Homes that require this license in CA do not have them. Not a problem until it's a problem.

Not saying to go without a qualified driver.....just saying what I did. Different place that may not work, hard to say with the good ol' DMV.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver