Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I will never have a DP, so with the mid entry of 90% of gassers, I prefer to have a driver's door.

So handy for a quick hop out to look at something, or to hop back in after doing my pre-trip before heading off.

To each their own they say, and that's what makes this RV lifestyle so interesting.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #44

I have one on my Tiffin 32SA.

We got the coach used. It's fairly awkward to use so I generally don't use it.

Biggest advantages in my mind are as an emergency exit, it if you have a problem with your main door.

IMHO it's not a must have and not worth the cost of admission.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had one in our Suncrest class A and it leaked air, rattled and was not user friendly.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #46

We have one on our Coachmen Aurora and I use it all the time. Coming across the border, just lower the power window pass documents etc. and on our way. I have a stick controller for leveling, I can see the jacks as I lower them standing beside the open door. Checking fuses etc. In and out for gas, emptying waste tanks. Giving a curtisy salute to a deserving motorist or pedestrian from the open window. The extra door is a must for a safety exit, or entry when someone blocks your main door by accident or on purpose. I guess I just prefer the flexibility. Door for my vote.
Blawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #47

I have a drivers door on our 2001 Itasca Suncruiser. I find the grab rail system is inadequate really. I don't like to use the steering wheel as a grab rail because after a while you will screw up your steering column, you have to pull your self up and in from one side. I would not require it on my next coach if I were looking.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
I have a drivers door on our 2001 Itasca Suncruiser. I find the grab rail system is inadequate really. I don't like to use the steering wheel as a grab rail because after a while you will screw up your steering column, you have to pull your self up and in from one side. I would not require it on my next coach if I were looking.
I agree on the grab rail. I learned to step up, holding onto the rail (not leaning out like a mechanic did once and almost tore the rail off) and then grab the steering wheel to stabilize as I climb the steps into the drivers seat.
I disassembled/removed my rail and then epoxied the top and bottom portions to the side of the coach. You learn not to lean back and support yourself as you climb in or the rail will loosen, even rip out of the side of the coach. Mine is pretty stout now.
I don't use the door too often but like the convenience of it when I do.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #49

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Still looking to buy my first RV but here's my take (I was going to start a new thread): I think they have potential for moisture damage.

Have only seen a handful of Class As and only two with driver-side doors. The first, an '03 Forest River Windsong, had rotten OSB floorboard at the rear of the door (and just aft of the pillar), as did the bottom of the pillar itself (vinyl had delaminated/bubbled).

Next was a '00 Winnebago (not sure of the model but a gasser). Pillar under where the shoulder belt attached was torn and felt lumpy. Fiberglass outside seem to have bulged out but uniformly).

Granted, these RVs are in a fairly wet & humid environment but it would appear that the door frame cutout is another way for moisture to get into the wall.

TheCatsRV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driver