Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver's door ?

AND, here out west, we have to consider those long mountain grades.

I always put the DW by the side door, and tell her "When I say jump, YOU JUMP !", 'cause I'm going out my door.

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Is that a Class A in the picture?
I like the paint color. I also like that you don't have a Vertical Wall for a front end. I see some of the older rigs built with a slant back. I think I like that idea. Thanks for sharing.
Yup, Class A 1997 40' Newmar London Aire. The next year the models started getting flat faced.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
AND with what I hear about the ford V-10's, which seems to be my only gasser choice, I will not go older than a 2009, due to the "blow a plug" issue.
TBH, the issue with the Ford V10 and the fleeing plugs has been BLOWN out of proportion (pun intended ). There are many options to work around this, IMO.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
TBH, the issue with the Ford V10 and the fleeing plugs has been BLOWN out of proportion (pun intended ). There are many options to work around this, IMO.
It is my understanding that anything prior to 2009 has the "thin " aluminum cylinder heads, and 2 piece spark plugs, which are tough to get out without breaking them. There is even a special tool kit to remove broken plugs, and it is not for the faint of heart.
After 2009, Ford thickened up the heads and went to a single piece plug, which they still say should be changed every 30 K.

Mike in Colorado
Old 12-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still taking comments and "votes" regarding a DRIVER'S DOOR or NOT.
Also looking for recommendations as to the model and make of a class "A" gasser, that would most likely have one. Most Winnies ? Some Alegro's ? in the 2009- 2015 era ?

Mike in Colorado
Old 12-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
My adventurer 38t has one i do not use it BUT it is great to have as an emerency exit
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I've only owned 1 motorhome and it came with a driver's door. I've come to love it for all the reasons already mentioned. I would look for a driver's door on my next motorhome.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #36

We had a Georgetown with a driver's door. Seemed like a good idea, but we didn't use it that much. One thing to consider that I didn't see mentioned, the door creates another entry point for you and for crooks. We had our RV broken into thru the driver's door. Seemed like the glass was easier to break, or access to the locking mechanism inside was easier to reach thru the driver's door.

In my opinion, a driver's door is WAY down on the priority list. Floorplan, storage and many other features would be significantly more important.

Just my $.02.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #37

We had a class C for about 30 years before we got our class A. It took me a full year to get used to the idea that I couldn't get in from the driver's side anymore. I made that trip back around the front several times a day whether parked or on the road. I really liked the convenience. However, now that I am used to not having it (finally), it would not be a deal breaker on another coach.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:13 AM   #38

Mike,
I have an 09 Southwind with a driver's door which I use all the time, I find it handy but my better half makes me take my shoes off if I go out the other way so it's also preferred!
We are considering a diesel so our unit is also for sale!
Happy shopping!
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:49 AM   #39

We’ve had drivers doors on 4 previous class A’s. Very seldom used them. The biggest drawback for me is the extra wind noise every one of them made. I have been in the habit of removing shoes when entering the MH, the reason the doors were seldom used. The door is nice to have if working under the dash is needed. Our new gas Tiffin has the entry door directly behind the passenger seat so fast exit would be easy. Drivers seat area also seems warming when driving in cold weather.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #40

I had a driver door on the last MH. Used it a few times, but not much. It did come in handy when I went to install a Ottomind chip for the V-10. Made it easy to access the ECU which was under the steering column. Other than that, very little utility in having it. Difficult to get in/out.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #41

our friend insisted on a drivers door when they bought their class A. Guarantee you that he's never used it in the 9 years he's had it. Way to hard to get in or out of.

I don't have on and never miss it.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #42

My 2004 Southwind had a drivers door.
I rarely used it.
Probably wouldn’t order it again if it was an option
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driver