Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Driver's Door - Yes or No

Hey folks!
We are getting ready to jump back into it with a new ( to us! ) Class A this year....
And the argument has hit a rock: I insist on a driver door - she says that just unnecessarily limits our choices.

Any expert input from you veteran RV masters?
Brick Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
she’s right....

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dri...ot-515395.html
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #3

10 1/2 years with a drivers door , used less than once a year and as my age progresses I'll be using it even less ; awkward as ....!.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:21 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nice second means of egress if you happen to roll over on the passenger side, or if you want to save a few steps at the gas station, but I agree with above I think she's right on this one.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The driver’s door would be at or very near the bottom of my list of features to look for in a new rig. First, they tend to be awkward to use and second, you will be tracking in any mess you walked through, which, at a diesel fill up, can be significant. Finally, the Mrs. is right - putting that feature as a “got to have” severely limits your pool of choices.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:35 AM   #6

It would make a good way out when your regular door lock breaks and you are locked in or out. The emergency exit in our ACE is the rear window and you can get out but it is painfull. That said I am still happy without a drivers door. Jim.
04fxsts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:41 AM   #7

I use mine all the time. But, I would not place it high on the list of things to have on my next coach. Nice to have, but not absolutely necessary!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:00 AM   #8

Must be a small gas class A as it’s been decades since we had a driver’s door and then it was in a C. There might be a reason why there are so few plus she’s right. NO!
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:01 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It does limit your choices. That's objectively true. Whether it's unnecessary or not depends on your needs.

I would turn the question around on you. Why do you feel that a driver's side door is necessary?
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:18 AM   #10

Started with a class C for five years so naturally it had a door. Purchased class A with a drivers door and had it 14 years and I used it all the time. I purchased a class A diesel about six years ago and was devastated with no drivers door. But that lasted about two days.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
As someone with a bit of arthritis, I much prefer using the passenger door on our rig. Steps are a lot easier than trying to climb up foot holders like I have seen on some rigs.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:26 AM   #12

I’ll agree with the others. I use ours quite often (DW not so much, you’ve got to like to climb things lol). It can be helpful if you need to work under the dash, refueling, alternate escape route, etc. But, they can be a source of wind noise and the extra mechanics can create issues with hinges, door latches, window, seals, etc. Personal choice, I like it but it wouldn’t beat out the floor plan or engine options that we’d want. Needing one can limit your choices for sure. Good luck!!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a driver's door. It is so high off the ground and the first step is higher than getting your foot in a stirrup while horse back riding. Yeah gotta be a monkey to enjoy that!

Makes it easier to check the fuse box that is up under the dash by the steering wheel!

Don't limit your choices by insisting on a driver's door.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we were ordering our Canyon Star a few years ago I seriously thought about adding the door. I had a tough time finding a coach, any manufacture, with a door. Even in the used coach inventory they were unicorns. When I finally did find one, the ergonomics were not a fit for my worn out knees and back. The salesman I was working with to order the coach, who gladly added option after option, told me not to add it.

We didn't add it, and in the two years we camped with that coach it wasn't an issue. From a safety perspective it was only marginally more easy to operate than an emergency window and egress was not going to be much better for DW either.

Given my experience, you are most definitely leaving the majority of some nice coaches out of your hunt.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, driver