Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Driver's License

In the process of buying a 35" Class A Motor home. and have another question
Is there any State that requires a CDL for opperating a class A that any of you have found?
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
The only state you have to be concerned with is your state of residency. A number of states (Texas included) require a higher classification of NON-COMMERCIAL driver licenses for motorhomes 26,001 lbs GVWR and higher. In general a CDL (commercial driver license) is only required if one is engaged in commercial activity.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a link to a summary of requirements. I believe you're O.K. with a 35 footer.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

If it has air brakes, you might wish to educate yourself or attend a class on the difference in air brakes from hydraulic brakes in smaller vehicles.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For vehicles under 26,000 pounds NO state requires a CDL, over 26,000 varies.. HOWEVER that said SOME states a basic operator's license is not enough, You need an upgrade (Texas was the example given) The Advanced (as I recall it's a "B" endorsement) license is not a Commercial license.

Michigan, you are good with a standard Operator's.

California MAY have additional requirements (I am not sure but I read about someone who got dinged after an accident because he did not have the needed endorsement)

Other states I have no clue,, Check with your state, You should be able to download a copy of the state's vehicle code (NOTE no state has a "MOTOR VEHICLE CODE" no motor is needed for the code to cover your vehicle, Michigan's Vehicle code covers Vehicles WITH motors, Vehicles WITHOUT motors (Example bicycles) and even the venerable "Addias Foot-Mobile" (A pair of shoes, that is pediterinas) I know, I have a copy on the hard drive. Read it too. Years of nothing better to do so I'd read, anything, even the vehicle code.. However when I need something my recall is "Computer enhanced" by the aforementioned PDF.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDP243 View Post
In the process of buying a 35" Class A Motor home. and have another question
Is there any State that requires a CDL for opperating a class A that any of you have found?
Several states are requiring a special licence like the CDL class B for motor homes over 26,000 pounds. Take written, and driving test but no physical. If you buy a MH on the 22,000 pound chassis it is under that limit. They go by the GCWR. 26,001 requires the special license.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #6

If your above the 26000 pound limit why not get it anyway even if your state doesn't require it. Then there will be no questions in any state. Not a bad idea to learn some new things anyway if your rig is that big.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Several states are requiring a special licence like the CDL class B for motor homes over 26,000 pounds. Take written, and driving test but no physical. If you buy a MH on the 22,000 pound chassis it is under that limit. They go by the GCWR. 26,001 requires the special license.
No, not a CDL. It's a (non-CDL) Class B license.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Non CDL Class E or F

I have held a Class A CDL with all endorsements for a number of years and drove my 40 MH w/ toad all over the country. I decided to drop the CDL since I haven't driven commercially for a while. In dropping the CDL, I had to take a skills range test in the MH and drive a test route with the Toad attached, along with an examiner from the DMV. Kinda funny since I was a third party CDL examiner for the state. The SC DMV requires a class E with a MH over 26000 gvw and a class F with a MH over 26000 gvw and towing ANYTHING. My insurance company informed me that I could have a legal problem if I had an accident and did not have the required license. Check with your state DMV and make sure you a "Legal" no matter what you drive.
Charlie111 is offline   Reply With Quote