RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Drivers License

We just sold our home and will be full timer RV'ers. What does one use for a drivers license when the one with old address will expire soon?
Lawgirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Drivers License

Dakota press....look up making South Dakota, your new home of residence....no state taxes and they won't make you come back in the winter months for jury duty.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Drivers License

Establish a domicile somewhere that makes tax or other sense for you in your case and use that for drivers license insurance etc etc you must have a "domicile" .. an address that you can be contacted via
Tons of info in this by searching for legal domicile
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use a relative's home address.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Also, depending on state you choose, may require a different class license to drive your RV, depending on weight. In IL. if the coach is over 16,000 lbs you need a different license than just driving a car. I just retested yesterday and got the correct class license for my coach. Road test was about 10 miles city/highway driving.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Location: Traveling with 7 furrkids! No bills, Have titles will Travel!
ups store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl11 View Post
We just sold our home and will be full timer RV'ers. What does one use for a drivers license when the one with old address will expire soon?
You can use a UPS store in any state to get a mail box (with thier street address) they will keep your mail, resend to you anytime anywhere, go thru it if you want and throw out junk, will also email you if you want and tell you what mail u have. being it is a street address you can use for ALL things like drivers license etc. We use one in Florida, for no income taxes and low rv plates/license fee. been doing this for 12 years. yes there is a small monthy fee depending on how much you want them to do for you.
JMHO
noopdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

There's a lot more to domicile than getting a driver's license. Search here on "domicile" and you'll have lots of reading material, then come back with your specific questions.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for info

This all has been extremely helpful.
Lawgirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:41 AM   #9

We a re in the process of doing the same thing. It i not just the DL you need to an address for you will also need an address to forward your mail to. There are severa mail services in various states. I wouldn't recommend UPS in case the store closes down. We use the Escapees mail service in TX and will be moving our domiciel to TX in a few weeks. Many ful timers use either TX, FL or SD. If you are under 65 you may need to worry about health insurance which is a challenge.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

Location: Traveling with 7 furrkids! No bills, Have titles will Travel!
wah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We a re in the process of doing the same thing. It i not just the DL you need to an address for you will also need an address to forward your mail to. There are severa mail services in various states. I wouldn't recommend UPS in case the store closes down. We use the Escapees mail service in TX and will be moving our domiciel to TX in a few weeks. Many ful timers use either TX, FL or SD. If you are under 65 you may need to worry about health insurance which is a challenge.
don't think UPS is closing stores. I have used the same 1 for 12 yrs. so u would recommend some other no name service because it won't close? escapees are nice, but OVER rated. JMHO
noopdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Yes they do. A local one closed down around us and they did not open a new one until 3-4 years later. I have no trust of them based on that experience. I just said that Escapees is what we use, it was a example. There are plenty of mail service companies. I personally would want one that I have reasonable confidance that it will continue and not a Mom and Pop one that has no continuity plan.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Drivers License

UPS stores are franchise operations , owned by a local person and use the UPS name. They can come and go if the local owner folds since UPS. Doesn't really own the store. But any mail forwarding service could be the same. Pick one that's been there awhile and appears busy. Many UPS. Stores fit that description and escapees also.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver