Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #1

Drivers license in Arkansas over 26,000 lbs

I've been told by my local revenue office (DMV equivalent) that a class D license is good for all RV's, regardless of weight.

I've read on here and other forums, that Arkansas (and many other states) don't require a special license/endorsement for RV's over 26,000lbs.

However, I can't find that in writing anywhere on the ASP, DFA or Arkansas.gov site, nor find anything in state statutes.

Does anyone have written confirmation about the license requirement in Arkansas for RV's over 26,000lbs?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #2

The state of Arkansas "Drivers License Key" seems to state it clearly (some say that the old driver's manual states it differently, however):

Look Under "Valid Non-Commercial Classifications":

Quote:
D = Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above. ...
The "above" refers to the "Valid Commercial Classifications" ...therefore, a Class D license is valid for ANY vehicle regardless of weight class as long as it's not commercial vehicle as it is defined by the State.

Arkansas Drivers License Key (from "The Official Website of the State of Arkansas")

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
The state of Arkansas "Drivers License Key" seems to state it clearly (some say that the old driver's manual states it differently, however):

Look Under "Valid Non-Commercial Classifications":

The "above" refers to the "Valid Commercial Classifications" ...therefore, a Class D license is valid for ANY vehicle regardless of weight class as long as it's not commercial vehicle as it is defined by the State.

Arkansas Drivers License Key (from "The Official Website of the State of Arkansas")

Class B commercial says: " B = Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing a vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds. Minimum age 18."

The confusion with Arkansas is that there is no other qualification on Class B commercial other than that Class B snippet I posted above.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't make this difficult. If the state required a different license for a certain class of vehicle, it would state so. Official regs always state what iIS required, not what is NOT required. The fact that you don't find any such rule is indicative and your Revenue office informant confirms it. As long as your use is non-commercial, you follow the non-commercial rules and they are as theroc stated. No size limit.

While 26,000 lbs is a fairly common dividing line for some vehicle classes and state regs, it is by no means universally so.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...Don't make this difficult...
Agree, a "regular" AR DL is good for anything you want to drive...non-commercial.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #6

I disagree, tnedator (and I'm hopefully not being disrespectful). You're reading too much into it. "Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above" is pretty clear --to me, at least.

To me, that means that you can disregard anything it says about "commercial vehicles" (the "defined above" part) which would mean that a Class D license is acceptable to drive any recreational vehicle regardless of the weight rating because a recreational vehicle is NOT a commercial vehicle.

You wanted it in writing and I really believe the state of Arkansas is making it pretty clear. But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I disagree, tnedator. You're reading too much into it. "Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above" is pretty clear --to me, at least.

To me that means that you can disregard anything it says about "commercial vehicles" (the "defined above" part) which would mean that a Class D license is acceptable to drive any recreational vehicle no matter the weight rating because a recreational vehicle is NOT a commercial vehicle.
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
Hey! There's still time ...I can delete my post if you will delete yours, LOL. No, I don't want this to turn into a flaming session. But, you're right, my post probably shouldn't have been so opinionated (as you can see, I did some modifications ).

There's still time ...shall we delete?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
I disagree, tnedator (and I'm hopefully not being disrespectful). You're reading too much into it. "Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above" is pretty clear --to me, at least.

To me, that means that you can disregard anything it says about "commercial vehicles" (the "defined above" part) which would mean that a Class D license is acceptable to drive any recreational vehicle regardless of the weight rating because a recreational vehicle is NOT a commercial vehicle.

You wanted it in writing and I really believe the state of Arkansas is making it pretty clear. But that's just my opinion.
I'm not one of these triggered posters that gets offended at any and all disagreement, so no need to worry or preface in that regard.

Here's the problem with your take. When it comes to laws and statutes, it's not about what we "know" as in that a recreational vehicle isn't commercial, but what is written. When it says "as defined above" it points to a section that says any vehicle over 26,000 lbs is commercial. It doesn't say greater that 26,000 and used in the conduct of a commercial operation, or in transporting people for higher, etc. (similar to the qualifiers on class B).

I'll attempt to get written clarification from ASP or DFA.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

Here in Arkansas I can pull my 5er with my Kenworth if I so desire with my Class D Drives License. an NO Vehicle Inspections. I had a Class A CDL which I turned in for my Class D when I retired off of the road
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Thank you, tnedator, for your understanding as I am evidently known on this forum for my opinionated and inflaming rhetoric. I appreciate your clarification and sentiments!

I guess we'll have to, as they say, agree to disagree.

My interpretation is that it's stating that one can disregard anything stated in the "Valid Commercial Classifications" section when they state:

"Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above"

The "Valid Commercial Classifications" section is defining the classes of commercial vehicles. They are not non-commercial vehicles that are being described. They are commercial.

Therefore, I believe that any vehicle not being described as a commercial vehicle (again, the "defined above" are all COMMERCIAL classifications), then a Class D license is all that is necessary to drive a vehicle that is not being described as a commercial vehicle (again, as "defined above").

Yes, I can understand that you'd like to get "in writing" an official statement from your state government as to the fact that you do not need a special class of drivers license but it's "inferred" that you do not. I don't know about Arkansas but in other states I've been a resident, it's difficult to walk into the DMV and demand that you want something like that clarified in writing. I hope you'll have an easier time in Arkansas.

However, the Changin' Gears website (now don't everybody jump on me as I know that the Changin' Gears site is not totally accurate or up-to-date) reports that they received a verbal confirmation by phone from Arkansas ...go HERE

This is totally off the topic of Arkansas but allow me describe two states that I'm currently most familiar with ...one where a non-commercial license is required to drive a diesel pusher (or a motorhome over 26,000 lbs. GVWR) of their residents and one where a standard license is acceptable to drive a diesel pusher for their residents.

We are originally from the state of Washington. For about 20 years, we were Nevada residents and were Nevada residents during our full-timing days but recently moved back to Washington state and now are Washington residents again. We both had CDLs from our working years so didn't need to go through any testing procedures in Nevada but studied the requirements nonetheless.

Washington state does not require any special license for driving a diesel pusher (or a motorhome over 26,000 lbs. GVWR). WA state does not address it AT ALL on their website or in their Driver's Guide. It seem like it's known by just about every WA state resident that I've talked with that they do not need a special license to drive certain RVs. I've not run across anybody who has gone to the state and demanded a written statement that they do not need a special license to drive a non-commercial vehicle of 26,000 lbs. GVWR or over.

Nevada, however, makes it clear that they require a special non-commercial drivers license for their residents to operate a diesel pusher (or a motorhome over 26,000 lbs. GVWR). They make it very clear on their website ...go HERE and in their driver's guide. In fact, they publish an entire, totally separate, study guide manual for recreational vehicle non-commercial driver license preparation ...go HERE for PDF.

So I believe Arkansas to be doing an even better job than Washington state as at least Arkansas gives a pretty clear statement (I know you don't agree, LOL) that a standard/basic (Class D) license is adequate for their residents to drive a non-commercial vehicle over 26,000 lbs. GVWR.

Most states that do require a special non-commercial license will have the non-commercial licensing requirements spelled out clearly from my observation. Arkansas, as far as I can tell, makes no mention whatsoever of a "non-commercial drivers license."

Let us know if you are able to get that written statement ...or if anybody here has done so and has sent it to you. I'd be interested. The very best to you in this endeavor!
Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you, tnedator, for your understanding as I am evidently known on this forum for my opinionated and inflaming rhetoric. I appreciate your clarification and sentiments!

I guess we'll have to, as they say, agree to disagree.

My interpretation is that it's stating that one can disregard anything stated in the "Valid Commercial Classifications" section when they state:

"Any vehicle which is not a commercial vehicle as defined above"

The "Valid Commercial Classifications" section is defining the classes of commercial vehicles. They are not non-commercial vehicles that are being described. They are commercial.

Therefore, I believe that any vehicle not being described as a commercial vehicle (again, the "defined above" are all COMMERCIAL classifications), then a Class D license is all that is necessary to drive a vehicle that is not being described as a commercial vehicle (again, as "defined above").

Yes, I can understand that you'd like to get "in writing" an official statement from your state government as to the fact that you do not need a non-commercial class license but it's "inferred" that you do not. I don't know about Arkansas but in other states I've been a resident, it's difficult to walk into the DMV and demand that you want something like that clarified in writing. I hope you'll have an easier time in Arkansas.

The Changin' Gears website (now don't everybody jump on me as I know that the Changin' Gears site is not totally accurate or up-to-date) says that they received a verbal confirmation by phone from Arkansas ...go HERE
It's not really about agreeing to disagree. It's about the fact that when it comes to state statutes, terms like "commercial vehicle" or "non-commercial vehicle" needs to be defined. You are saying that the weight doesn't apply, because an RV isn't a commercial vehicle, but by letter of the Arkansas statute, it does apply, because it says any vehicle with a gross weight of 26,001 or more.

It might be that an administrative decision has been made that the statute doesn't capture the spirit of the law and therefore, even though "non-commercial" or "passenger vehicle" has not been defined to contain an RV, that the intent was that it wasn't commercial.

I'm currently looking at other Arkansas statutes to see if commercial vehicle is defined elsewhere, because in the section mentioned above, commercial vehicle isn't defined, so by letter of the law, the weight is the defining characteristic.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Maybe someone with a regular AR license will look on the back of it as a regular GA license has the normal 26K lb limit and 10K trailer BUT it goes on and says “All recreational vehicles are included” under this license...my wife can drive our 45,000 lb DP with air brakes using her regular GA license.

OH wait, didn’t danny285 above already confirm this???
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
It's not really about agreeing to disagree. It's about the fact that when it comes to state statutes, terms like "commercial vehicle" or "non-commercial vehicle" needs to be defined. You are saying that the weight doesn't apply, because an RV isn't a commercial vehicle, but by letter of the Arkansas statute, it does apply, because it says any vehicle with a gross weight of 26,001 or more.

It might be that an administrative decision has been made that the statute doesn't capture the spirit of the law and therefore, even though "non-commercial" or "passenger vehicle" has not been defined to contain an RV, that the intent was that it wasn't commercial.

I'm currently looking at other Arkansas statutes to see if commercial vehicle is defined elsewhere, because in the section mentioned above, commercial vehicle isn't defined, so by letter of the law, the weight is the defining characteristic.
Okay, I get the need for popcorn now.

I don't know, if Arkansas wanted you to have a special license to drive a recreational vehicle of 26,000 lbs. GVWR or more, then --as you say-- you'd think that they'd clearly define a difference in their statutes between a COMMERCIAL and NON-COMMERCIAL drivers' license ...or at least a difference between a commercial and non-commercial vehicle.

So you don't buy my premise that by an RV being a non-commercial vehicle that it by default should not be considered a commercial vehicle? The weight issue applies only to commercial vehicles is how I interpret it.

They make no mention of non-commercial classifications anywhere as far as I can see.

Tags
arkansas, driver