Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #99

KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
KC MO? or KC KS?
KS - I went to the Mission location
Radarthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarthis View Post
KS - I went to the Mission location
Correction, meant Olathe
Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #101

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They must have a better idea how Non-Commercial Licenses work up there, good deal.

I even called Topeka to try and get class A non-com license thing figured out, after waiting on hold for hours I was told a Supervisor would call me back and explain how things work by the end of the day. That was about a month ago...
Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #102
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It does not matter which type license. Either a class A or B, or a Class A or B CDL licensed driver can be with you when you take the test (Again, as Moxxi indicated this is for Texas. I cannot speak for other states and it is really mundane regarding other states.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Actually the rules are that the State Tester and the accompanying driver need to have a class license equal to or higher than the test being taken. Not a mundane rule.
Dale or Mark,
I let this slip by but I do want to clarify. I never said it was a mundane rule, only that it is mundane regarding other states since the original poster is referring to Texas.

I totally agree with you, and it doesn't matter what state, the State Tester is the authority on the rules for the state he is testing for.

So sorry for any confusion.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #103

Quote:
They must have a better idea how Non-Commercial Licenses work up there, good deal.

I even called Topeka to try and get class A non-com license thing figured out, after waiting on hold for hours I was told a Supervisor would call me back and explain how things work by the end of the day. That was about a month ago...
Yeah just go to the DL Examiner and tell them you need a NC Class-A. They will set you up on the computer and will give you the 20 question normal Class-C test (same one my teenager daughter just took to get her first license). Then they will go for a quick ride with you and you are done. Just study the normal Kansas driving handbook to prepare for the computer test.

Chad
Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #104

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I attempted to do just that, but they would not allow me to take the driving test for non-com class A unless I was driving a tractor/trailer which was Farm Registered??? Two different DL offices down here told me that.

Said I could not even take the test in either my Ton Dually with heavy trailer or the Motorhome with heavy trailer, both require Class A due to weights.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
So glad I live in one of the many States that doesn't require a special license to drive a Class A RV. Sounds like such a hassle for you guys! Sorry! :-(
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #106

Interesting. Farm Registered trucks do not even fall under the Class A/B regs. One thing I’ve learned throughout this process is that there isn’t a good understanding of the requirements....from Topeka all the way down to the Examiners. I was just very patient with them and helped talk them through it all. They were all very nice and understanding. Just tell them that according to the KS DL requirement flowchart, the vehicle you have with you falls under the NC Class-A requirements and you would like to take the driving test in that vehicle. If you get no for an answer ask to talk to someone else. The lady that worked with me had to ask several in the office how to handle my situation, it took awhile but they finally figured it out.

Based on how unclear the process is, my guess is they do very few of these and there are probably quite a few drivers out there that do not hold the appropriate license. Ha! They did mention that they majority of the Class-B’s they issue are for firefighters but said they rarely do big RV’s or heavy truck/trailer combos.

Chad

Quote:
I attempted to do just that, but they would not allow me to take the driving test for non-com class A unless I was driving a tractor/trailer which was Farm Registered??? Two different DL offices down here told me that.

Said I could not even take the test in either my Ton Dually with heavy trailer or the Motorhome with heavy trailer, both require Class A due to weights.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #107

I'd have a major problem if I had a vehicle / combo that reqd a special class / endorsement DL and they would not allow me to use it for the road test.
What do they expect everyone to do to get a different vehicle?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #108
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Texas, Been there done that back in the early eighties. It has gotten better over the years but there are still some satellite DVM stations out there the don't have any idea regarding anything other than a "car" DL.

As stated, be patient and have all the written rules and regulations you can find with you. If the clerk doesn't understand, ask to speak to a supervisor and again be patient. They are doing their job to the best of their abilities.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #109

Update.....wouldn't recommend Rosenberg as a test venue. She took me all around 59, where there is a ton of construction.
Took me through one intersection, where the cones and barrier must have been only 9 feet apart. Clipped the barrier, and now have a small stripe as reminder, also instant fail!
I'm off to Livingston for a retest, would definitely not recommend Rosenberg.
I have driven and parked this thing for over 5000mls, my previous class A for thousands more, and never hit anything. I guess having the examiner there caused me to panic, and not check my clearances.......Doh!
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver