RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driver's License Requirements

I just bought a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38', our first RV. I live in Ohio where you only need a regular drivers license without any endorsements to drive a motor home over 26,000 lbs. In looking at other state licensing requirements, there are about 12 or 13 states requiring various endorsements and one requires a class 2. Can anyone give me some direction on how to handle this? It wouldn't make sense that motor home drivers would have to get endorsements from individual states.
Thanks.
Jim
BobsledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Your Ohio Class D license is good in every other state when driving a noncommercial vehicle in excess of 26,001 pounds.
dbircky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsledJim View Post
I just bought a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38', our first RV. I live in Ohio where you only need a regular drivers license without any endorsements to drive a motor home over 26,000 lbs. In looking at other state licensing requirements, there are about 12 or 13 states requiring various endorsements and one requires a class 2. Can anyone give me some direction on how to handle this? It wouldn't make sense that motor home drivers would have to get endorsements from individual states.
Thanks.
Jim

As long as you are properly licensed in your home state your license is good in any state or province of Canada that you travel in. It is known as the rule of reciprocity.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with others. It's a non-issue for you. Since Ohio does not require its residents to have a special license to drive a non-commercial vehicle with a weight rating over 26,000 lbs GVWR, you have no concerns. It's determined strictly by the state of your residence (where you hold your drivers license). And remember, it's not determined on how much your coach actually weighs but rather its weight rating or GVWR ...it's a static number that doesn't change. Your coach probably has a GVWR of somewhere around 32,000 lbs. It most likely won't weigh that in actuality and you never want to exceed that weight when underway.

As I've said in the dozens and dozens of threads on this topic, I believe the requirements should be consistent from state to state as to what type of license is required of their residents. I believe all states should require testing and special special license to drive a diesel pusher with air brakes. Not all agree but I think it makes no sense the way it is right now.

Think about it. You as an Ohio resident can drive your diesel pusher legally down the road in, let's say Nevada. Where I --let's assume I'm a Nevada resident which I once was-- have to have a special license and had to be tested to obtain such a license, to drive the exact same vehicle on the exact same road.

I've always advocated that each state should have the same requirements of their residents when it comes to driving a diesel pusher with air brakes just as it is with an equivalent commercial vehicle requirements.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #5

Hello!

RV Driver's License Requirements has a good list of where every state stands. It is as has been said, depending on your state and as long as you don't take residency in another state, your home state DL is valid.

I think the confusion started, when DOT looked at recreational vehicles with GVWR more than 26001#, requiring air brakes and special driving techniques. DoT was looking into demanding upgrades to non-commercial DL's. At least NC DoT referred to a FMVSS (forgot the number) where federal was researching the issue. If DoT had moved forward then Federal law trumps State law any time.

I'm not sure about the state of situation, but as long as there's nothing in the 49 CFR code, it's up to the states.
HelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #6

Don't mean to pile on, but just like your car. Whatever your home state requires is what is allowed in every other state. I believe Canada and Mexico will accept your license.
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your drivers license class is good in your home state you are good in the other 49 states. You are subject to length, towing restrictions, speed, etc in all states.

Ken
Old 08-19-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
Hello!

RV Driver's License Requirements has a good list of where every state stands. It is as has been said, depending on your state and as long as you don't take residency in another state, your home state DL is valid.

I think the confusion started, when DOT looked at recreational vehicles with GVWR more than 26001#, requiring air brakes and special driving techniques. DoT was looking into demanding upgrades to non-commercial DL's. At least NC DoT referred to a FMVSS (forgot the number) where federal was researching the issue. If DoT had moved forward then Federal law trumps State law any time.

I'm not sure about the state of situation, but as long as there's nothing in the 49 CFR code, it's up to the states.
Yes, it still is up to the states. But that is where I disagree. As you point out, it should be mandated by the USDOT as it is with commercial vehicles.

I remember back in the early '90s when I was driving commercially, it was required that we all had to qualify for CDLs. I thought it was a good idea. Many commercial drivers were crossing state lines in their job duties. It made sense that all states had to follow certain federal guidelines when testing and granting CDL status. We were driving vehicles that required a bit more skill than driving a car so that part made sense to me too.

Why shouldn't similar requirements be used for driving NON-commercial vehicles that are much heavier than cars and take a bit more skill to drive? A vehicle having air brakes also takes a bit more training than that of driving a car. Those driving diesel pusher motorhomes also routinely cross state lines too just as many commercial drivers do. Therefore, why shouldn't training, testing, and licensing requirements be consistent from state to state for NON-commercial drivers also?

It doesn't make sense to me.

I am a Washington state native where there is no special requirement for driving a diesel pusher motorhome. When I retired years ago, we moved to Nevada where it was required to obtain a non-commercial Class B to drive a motorhome over 26,000 lbs. GVWR. Both DW and I had CDLs at the time so didn't have to go through testing but I found it ridiculous that when our friends from WA state came to visit with their diesel pusher, they did not have to have any training, testing, or requirement to have an upgraded license. Yet, they could legally drive their rig on the streets of Nevada where a Nevada resident driving the SAME motorhome on the SAME streets would be driving illegally if not having a Class B non-commercial license (where one would have to be tested and pay for an upgraded license).

It makes no sense is all I'm saying. All states should have the same requirements of their residents pertaining to driving heavier vehicles especially with air brakes.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #9

There are good drivers and bad drivers with with every type of license.

Requiring special licences for recreational vehicles is just a money grab.

I had my CDL and took the test on a dump truck with hydraulic brakes.
Not that it mattered, the air brake endorsement was just a written test, right after reading the book. Anybody can pass that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I believe, though not sure, the feds are only involved in regulation of interstate Commerce. Private use of vehicles is on the states rights side. However States generally respect other states licensing rules.
Itís a crazy system yes but itís part of the 50 independent states rights portion of the constitution. The federal government power is limited. It took until the 90ís to get a federal standard for commercial interstate license CDL. Back then each state could issue their own licenses.. I knew guys who had two or three .. States can still issue commercial INTRA state licenses with less restrictions.
I have always agreed itís nuts to allow someone whoís never driven anything bigger than a Lexus to hop in 50,000 lbs of rolling death ( my CDL instructors term ) and take off with no training or passing at least a knowledge test of the differences in function
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have drove to Canada and yes they let me cross the border and did not give me any issues.

As far a states go, it goes by your home state as others have said. So missouri does not require a special license but illinois does. If you are from Missouri and go to illinois they should not ask for it if they know your state does not require it.

I just moved from Missouri to Illinois. I went and got everything moved over last weekend and the Illinois dmv said nothing about the special license. That is what I will say if I ever get pulled over. That is also only if the cop asks, some of them don't know the rules. I really don't like having to drive my rv to the dmv because none of them are really easy to get to in a 33 foot motorhome which is why I am avoiding it.

Side note don't move to Illinois 2 vehicles and a motorhome cost me $908 to title and license. And I still have to renew the rv plates again come December, they didn't tell me this until the end otherwise I would of held off on the rv. My plates were still good on the rv.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are good drivers and bad drivers with with every type of license.

Requiring special licences for recreational vehicles is just a money grab.
There it is!
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Steve View Post
There it is!
Nope, we have RVed since 1984 and there are many out there that are not qualified to drive a kiddie pedal car. You have to have a license for a motorcycle and for an air plane. Why not have to demonstrate the ability to drive a larger RV.

It is not a money grab.

Ken
Old 08-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Nope, we have RVed since 1984 and there are many out there that are not qualified to drive a kiddie pedal car. You have to have a license for a motorcycle and for an air plane. Why not have to demonstrate the ability to drive a larger RV.

It is not a money grab.

Ken
Thanks, Ken.

The fees that most states charge for a non-commercial license are really not a money-making proposition. They are minimal compared to the cost of administration.

All I'm saying is that special training, testing, and licensing should be required to drive "heavier" RVs especially ones with air brakes. But that's my opinion as one who has spent a career of driving heavier vehicles. So no, not to drive a Class B or C or even a gas Class A ...just heavier Class A (diesel pushers) with air brakes.

A line has to be drawn somewhere so I believe it's reasonable that most states use the "26,001 lb. GVWR" threshold as that is what is used for commercial vehicles.

So if you drive a motorhome that's rated at over 26,000 lbs GVWR, you should be required to be trained, tested, and specially licensed. Again, that's only MY opinion. So no, to me, it's not just a money grab by the states. For me, it's a safety issue.

I once worked for a public transit agency. They trained, tested and later (after 1992 or so) required all their bus drivers to obtain a Class B CDL. Why did they bother to train their drivers? Why didn't they just put them out on the road and let them drive buses with no training on how to drive them or how an air brake system works? ETA: yes, I know some are going to comment that most city bus drivers are awful drivers but I still believe there has to be some training involved or city bus drivers would even be worse than they are.

A diesel pusher motorhome is essentially a bus. So why should some states just let anybody drive them with no training whatsoever. That's all I'm saying that doesn't make sense to me.

Tags
driver