Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 07:30 AM   #43
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_T View Post
Read the exemption for RV's in the statute. RV's of any type do not require any special license. You don't need a non commercial license. Just a regular license. I'm a lifelong resident of NC.
Texas has the same verbiage in their license statutes and it confuses a lot of people. Yes, RVs are exempt from having a Commercial DL but they are NOT exempt from having a higher class B or A endorsement on their operator's license.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post

Originally Posted by Prof_T
Read the exemption for RV's in the statute. RV's of any type do not require any special license. You don't need a non commercial license. Just a regular license. I'm a lifelong resident of NC.

Posted by Lt Dan
Texas has the same verbiage in their license statutes and it confuses a lot of people. Yes, RVs are exempt from having a Commercial DL but they are NOT exempt from having a higher class B or A endorsement on their operator's license.
I once again am going to agree with LtDan, professor. Most states obviously will exempt their residents from having to obtain a CDL if the vehicle is not being operated commercially. However, the wording in many of their statutes is often confusing and obscure.

I'm not a resident of North Carolina and never have been but just went over the statute and nowhere do I see that RVs are exempt from their operator having to have a Class B drivers license if being a resident of North Carolina. Yes, they are exempt from having to have a CDL but, to me (and I'm not and have never been a professor either, lol), it seems relatively clear that to operate any vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, a North Carolina resident needs to posses a non-commercial Class B license ...or what North Carolina officially refers to as a "Regular Class B" license (as opposed to a commercial Class B license). Nowhere in their statues do they refer to it as a "non-commercial" license, however.

North Carolina Statute -- Uniform Driver's License Act. (1935, c. 52, s. 31.), Article 2

"Class B. – A Class B license authorizes the holder to drive any Class B motor
vehicle that is exempt under G.S. 20-37.16 from the commercial drivers license
requirements."

North Carolina's requirements for a "Regular Class B" license on their website

A regular Class B license:

Quote:
Required to operate any single vehicle that:
  • is exempt from commercial driver license requirements
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • Tows another vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less
Sure, like in many states that have such a requirement, many residents choose to ignore it or misinterpret it. I personally prefer to make an effort to abide by those types of laws and rules.

I don't know, perhaps I'm wrong once again but that's my interpretation.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
There are really just three classes, and in each class you can get the license as either a commercial or non-commercial driver.

Yes, a regular license of the appropriate class, which means that if the vehicle is heavier than XXX you need a class B instead of a class C.

It is true that a commercial license is not required, but a license of the proper class is.

Thanks to everyone for clarifying this for me. I have lived and RV'd out of NC for 20 years and never knew this license requirement. Guess I was illegal for about 6 years with my Journey. oops.

So I'm guessing this "Regular Class B" pertains to DP only? Maybe it is the air brakes that are the concern? I wonder if there is any data that shows persons operating RV's over 26K with a Regular Class C license have more accidents? Another reason to stay with gas.

I was unable to find any info in the NC drivers manual or website that indicates the process for obtaining a Regular Class B license, probably there somewhere.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:58 AM   #46

Just to clarify. NCDMV does not give one whit about RV licensing requirements. If they did you would have to stop at all weigh stations when traveling with your RV. They are only concerned with commercial applications or if you are driving a bus transporting folks like for a church or tour outfit. Again, those are considered commercial. RV's are exempt.

Another aspect is the weight requirements if over 26K pounds. Again, NCDMV does not give one whit if you are a private RV owner, only if you are commercial. You do need to purchase enough weight for your tag. Your county tax and state taxes take care of the tag costs. Here they add the property tax to the tag when you purchase your tags. Not an inexpensive proposition.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Thanks to everyone for clarifying this for me. I have lived and RV'd out of NC for 20 years and never knew this license requirement. Guess I was illegal for about 6 years with my Journey. oops.

So I'm guessing this "Regular Class B" pertains to DP only? Maybe it is the air brakes that are the concern? I wonder if there is any data that shows persons operating RV's over 26K with a Regular Class C license have more accidents? Another reason to stay with gas.

I was unable to find any info in the NC drivers manual or website that indicates the process for obtaining a Regular Class B license, probably there somewhere.
I doubt that the requirements even mention gas vs. diesel. They usually are based on the weight of the vehicle. From my experience, driving a large/heavy vehicle requires a different knowledge base and a different skill set than driving a passenger car or light truck. Seems to me that this is what they're going after here - making sure that people have the basic skills and knowledge before hitting the road in a large vehicle, and the line had to be drawn somewhere and it was drawn around the 26,000-lbs mark.

In the days before CDL licenses were a thing, every state had their own requirements for commercial drivers and getting a class A or class B license was commonplace. Once the CDL system was put in place for commercial drivers, the number of people requesting a non-commercial class B or class A at the local DMV dropped to nearly zero. This is why at most DMV locations you get a blank stare when you ask about it.

The requirements will be spelled out somewhere in your state's driver's handbook, and basically will involve taking a written test which will likely cover the use/operation of air brakes. You'll then receive a learner's permit which allows operation of a vehicle requiring a class B with a properly licensed driver alongside in the passenger seat. After you have mastered whatever skills are necessary, you'll have to take a road test. The road test will need to be taken in a vehicle which requires the class of license you are applying for, and likely if it does not have air brakes your license will be restricted to vehicles without air brakes. Part of the road test will be a pre-trip inspection, and it's worth pointing out that more people fail the pre-trip inspection portion of the test than the actual road test. Of course, this all varies by state.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Just to clarify. NCDMV does not give one whit about RV licensing requirements. If they did you would have to stop at all weigh stations when traveling with your RV. They are only concerned with commercial applications or if you are driving a bus transporting folks like for a church or tour outfit. Again, those are considered commercial. RV's are exempt.

Another aspect is the weight requirements if over 26K pounds. Again, NCDMV does not give one whit if you are a private RV owner, only if you are commercial. You do need to purchase enough weight for your tag. Your county tax and state taxes take care of the tag costs. Here they add the property tax to the tag when you purchase your tags. Not an inexpensive proposition.
So applying your logic to all auto drivers in NC that are not required to stop at weigh stations NC doesnt really care whether they have a Class C license or not???

Not until you get stopped or have an "incident".
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:34 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
You're giving out bad info. NC law clearly states the requirement for any operator of a vehicle over 26,000lbs to have a class B driver's license.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #50

Quote:

What does being properly licensed have to do with commercial truck weigh stations? Your reasoning doesn't make sense.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #51

It looks pretty clear to me - the bit about "appropriate class" even when a "regular" license is all that's required, meaning a non-commercial license.

Commercial driver licenses are required for drivers – paid or volunteer – who operate vehicles in North Carolina that are designed or used to transport passengers or property.

They are not required to drive recreational vehicles, military equipment, fire and/or emergency equipment or certain farm vehicles, but a driver must have a regular license of the appropriate class.

Sure looks to me that they're saying a commercial license is required for transporting goods and people, but commercial is not required for RV's, fire trucks, etc., though the proper license class is still required for vehicles and trailers by weight class. What else could they mean by "appropriate class", when A, B, and C are license classes, and that word isn't used for anything else? On my license (NY), it has Commercial Driver License across the top, and under Class it lists AM (includes Motorcycle). Additional endorsements are on the back (N and T).

Someone posted about pre-CDL license classes, which were 1, 2, and 3 way back-when in CT when I first got licensed. That was strictly by weight, regardless of what or why you drove it, and there were no endorsements. It sure was a lot simpler then.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:18 AM   #52

After reading some of the excerpts from the NC drivers hand book I think it is a fair interpretation that anyone driving a pickup towing a fifth wheel or trailer that has a rated weight of over 10,000 pounds need a non-commercial class A license so this thread does not apply only to class A diesel pushers.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenjo View Post
After reading some of the excerpts from the NC drivers hand book I think it is a fair interpretation that anyone driving a pickup towing a fifth wheel or trailer that has a rated weight of over 10,000 pounds need a non-commercial class A license so this thread does not apply only to class A diesel pushers.
I believe that you are correct, at least in states that have a similar requirement. I've read about drivers of rigs like you mentioned getting ticketed and pulled off the road till a properly licensed driver was present, but it is not a common accurance since non-commercial drivers have far fewer interactions with LEO.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Well said. I've been saying for years on this forum that all states should have the exact same requirements for driver incensing as it pertains to operating motorhomes.

There really has to be a minimum set of skils that should be necessary to operate a heavier, wider, and longer vehicle, especially one equipped with air brakes.

I drove city buses for a period many decades ago. Even though I had driven trucks and buses previously, we all had to go through a four week class just on the operation of the bus, including over a week on air brake operation and manual transmission training. Some that had never driven a large vehicle before, washed out of training because they kept running over curbs or knocking off mirrors, rubbing tires against the curb, etc.

Yet in some states, they allow anybody to jump into the seat of essentially a transit bus and drive it without any training or the ability to demonstrate a minimum set of skills or knowledge base.

All states should have similar requirements.

When living in Nevada, a friend from Washington state used to come and visit with his 40' DP and would laugh ...he would gloat that he doesn't have to have any special license at all and yet I had to have a special license to drive essentially the same coach down the exact same street in NV. It made no sense to either of us.
So you think all 50 states should agree on one set of rules and regulations? Doesn’t each state already think they have the correct rules? How would you get them to change?

You can hardly get two people to agree on a forum but you want 50 states to agree.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I have a class B this is a Non CDL the following is from NCDMV

Class A: Required to operate a combination of vehicles that is exempt from CDL requirements when the towed unit has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more. Class B: Required to operate any single vehicle that is exempt from CDL requirements with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 lbs. Class C: Required to operate any noncommercial single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs.; and a vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs. operated by a driver 18 years old or older. Most drivers need only a regular class C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.

I live in NC
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Well said. I've been saying for years on this forum that all states should have the exact same requirements for driver incensing as it pertains to operating motorhomes...
Essentially we already have a universal licensing requirement for drivers of any non-commercial vehicle.

It's simple - as long as you are properly licensed to operate your motor home in your home state you are properly licensed to operate it in every state. It doesn't matter that NC or TX require a Class B to operate a heavier motor home and your state does not, as long as you are properly licensed in your home state you can legal operate it NC, TX, or any other state.

Of course, the vehicles themselves don't enjoy this kind of cross-state reciprocity so you have to make sure that your motorhome complies with the laws in each state you travel through.

Tags
driver