Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #15

must be a missing picture?
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
I have traveled in a lot of Mexico below the border states and in South and Central America. Admittedly I was a dirt bag kayaker and was perfectly happy to eat at a taco cart at the bus station. I met a lot of very fine people and had no problems at all. However I did not wander around alone, go hang out in big cities, or do any of the things you're not suppose to do in big cities in the USA. That being said I have decided not to travel in Mexico in my motor home. Mainly due to the fact that I have a hell of a problem finding places in the states to have quality work done when something breaks. Mexico is a wonderful country with a lot of wonderful people. I will go back but it will be by some other means than by motor coach.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #17

Well OP,
As you can see and read, RVing in Mexico is not all that favorable. Simply put, we, in America, live in a ruled, somewhat systematic, properly governed country. We don't have to be afraid of traveling, from state to state, county to county without fear of being "stopped" for inspection. Yes, there are borders for states but, those are primarily a formality.

But, Mexico, is an un-ruled, improperly governed, poor, (at least the majority of it's occupants) and un-improved country. Sure, there's probably some nice roads here and there, maybe a "Resort" like Cabo or, one or two others, but, by and large, traveling in that country, anywhere outside of those mini-improved areas, IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Of course there's going to be some that argue with me on many of the points I've stated. That's perfectly fine. Some have ventured into and out of Mexico several times, without incident. But, there's many, many more that encountered bad experiences in all kinds of situations.

Mexico has some of the nicest country side, beach areas, mountain areas and more that I would love to go and camp in. No doubt about that. But, not at the RISK of loosing any and all, I've worked for, for my entire life. YOU HAVE NO DEFENCE in that country, PERIOD! They can take, anything they want, and you have no recourse.

Now, you may ask, "How often does something like that happen?" Not a clue but, it does happen. There have been numerous investigative TV stories on just that kind of experience there. So, until that country improves its infrastructure, government, a reliable police force, and can guaranty me that I, and my wife, will be PERFECTLY SAFE, and all my equipment will NEVER be touched, and I will not be stopped by 14-16 year olds with M-15 rifles(supposed "Federalles") (seen those myself a few times), and we could camp anywhere (legally) and not fear for our lives, I don't think we'll be visiting anytime soon.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #18

I travel into Baja once or twice a year. I do not hang around the border towns and I am not looking for any illegal activities or products. I have never felt unsafe or threatened in any way. One of my recent trips, I stopped at the Costco in Mexicali and filled the back of my new Ram PU with food and goodies for one of the orphanages in San Felipe. I parked my truck in the motel parking lot and after a great dinner, fell sound to sleep on a very comfortable bed. I awoke the next morning to find that my truck and the goodies were just as I had left it the night before. I try to obey their laws, I don't speed, I stop at the stop signs and I respect their ways and culture, I am looking forward to my next visit.

Since there is a smile on my face and I am remembering some of my trips to Baja, you should try the monster shrimp, stuffed with ham, wrapped with bacon, covered with some kind of cheese and baked to perfection while sitting on the deck at Baja Mar overlooking the Sea of Cortez. Yep, I think I will be going back. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:58 AM   #19

Well, I think every one has a comfort zone and I get that staying in that comfort zone can make the difference between a relaxing vacation and one that is a little more "exciting" BUT, Mexico is a different culture and a different language. Just the language barrier is enough to determine many people. I think Mexico as an RV destination gets hit just because of those things and really I think its a bit of a bum wrap.

We have RVed extensively in Mexico for months at a time and literally from coast to coast to coast. We have travelled and visited cities in 27 of the 31 states and I have to say that there is NO WHERE in the rest of North America that comes even close to Mexico as far as interesting places to visit and experience in an RV. We use a smaller 22 foot motorhome when travelling in Mexico. Highly recommended as you are travelling through 400 year old perfectly preserved spanish cities with narrow streets etc. We have had many encounters with law enforcement of various levels as we have gone through probably more than a 100 check points. They have never been a problem and all our encounters were professional and polite. We have been pulled over in cities where we were obviously totally lost. The cops on those occasions were helpful in getting us back on track and on a few occasions led us out to the proper route and sent us on our way. That would never happen in Canada. In one case the cop called his wife to try and find out where a camp ground was. She googled it, called her husband back and he gave us directions. I could go on but the reality for us has been that there are good and bad experiences everywhere.

We are more cautious when travelling in certain parts of the world but are still in our comfort zone, and that is a very personal thing that only you can decide and no one should ridicule you on. We are all here to have a little fun and try to get through life.

There is poverty in Mexico but it also has one of the fastest growing middle classes in the world. The Baja is probably a bad example of the cross section of Mexican standard of living. There are so many middle class cities in Mexico now and they are all quite nice. They look different than those north of the border. Of course they will. They are of a different culture. And for anyone who thinks Mexico is a third world nation you have probably never been to one. Mexico (and Brazil) are considered to be "newly industrialized nations" Essentially one step short of what are considered "developed nations". There is a whole generation who were brought up using the terms first world, second world and third world but those terms are actually no longer used as the new system has 5 levels of assessment.

Re the roads. There have been good and bad but generally speaking they are fine. Mexican drivers are pussycats compared to europe.

Anyway, not trying to convince anyone in going to Mexico or anywhere else. But if you want an amazing and rewarding experience, load up the RV, (hopefully not to big) and head out on an amazing adventure. The people, culture and language and amazing, the history interesting and the country side spectacular.

Que te vaya bien.

Oh, and be respectful and learn some spanish.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #20

No / never!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I think anyone would have to be insane to drive ANY motorhome into Mexico! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally, I think anyone would have to be insane to drive ANY motorhome into Mexico! JMHO

They live among us!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 PM   #23

Didn't really have a chance to read all the replys until now. One thing the original poster might consider is to check the Mexican Forum on RV.net. There are a lot of folks there who are experienced Mexico and Latin American RVers. I wouldn't get car advice form a hair dresser. Consider not taking advice from those who have never RVed there or "know a guy". Many states we have travelled in Mexico have crime rates considerably lower than what we are used to in the rest of North America. Others not so good. You might want to get some opinions from those who RV there regularly. Keep it real.

Either way, stay safe and happy camping wherever you go.

John and Angela
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just want to state that the state department does not recommend U.S. citizens drive across the border into Mexico. Mexico is a very diverse country and there are many parts that are less risky than the border areas. The information is very easy to access on the state department web page.

I have to go to Mexico next week (not by choice and I am flying in). I live in San Antonio and am fairly familiar with the goings on at the border.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #25

Ignorance is bliss. I would not hesitate to travel anywhere in Mexico. I do 10 - 15 times a year.

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #26

I wish I had first hand experience traveling into Mexico, but apart from visiting Nogales several times over 25 years ago, I have none. Those memories from long ago are fond ones, but I think the world has changed since then.

I do know a few people in the tooling and machining industry that have to travel to Mexico for work on a regular basis. I don't know any of them who like it or feel safe when they go... I've known a couple to have actually quit their job over the requirement to travel into Mexico. Perhaps it is partly because of the areas that they have to travel in to, but it seems that in general, the country is lawless and overwhelmed with government corruption. I don't believe it has anything to do with how rich or poor they are. The condition of the human heart is not determined by the acquisition or loss of wealth... but I digress..

It's a shame really... the culture minus the corruption is actually quite beautiful. Mexican family values, community ideals, work ethic, and religious faith still seem to survive and even flourish in some places, despite the corruption... Not to mention, the spicy burritos!! I think it would be great to share what these people have to offer via an RV trip through the country... but to be honest I don't know how I'd feel safe.

To be fair, there are plenty of places inside the states that I would never travel through either. Areas of Detriot, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, etc... areas where not only the government is corrupt, but the culture ain't much to look at either. Heck, there have been nights in Walmart parking lots here in small town USA when I didn't feel safe. Or how about staying the night at the Lazy Days campground in Tucson when the police choppers have their spot lights blazing down on the razor wire fence that surrounds the property... all the while "Scooby Dogo's" is open 24/7 just down the street selling "hot dogs" and "Scooby snacks" all night. I dunno... it seems the whole world has gone absolutely mad, not just the Mexicans. That sounds like something an old person would say...

Just my $.02.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #27

I encourage travel to Mexico and South America.
More room in AZ, TX, and CA.
Thanks!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #28

Driving a $500,000 Motor Home In Baja - Mexico

Can't speak for taking the RV down, although I'd like to in a convoy. A couple of year ago, my dad and I and a Spanish speaking friend walked across the border into TJ. We got picked up in a rental car van that took us to the rental car counter. We rented our car and started our trip to Cabo San Lucas. It was a great trip surrounded by so much beauty. We drove by the most beautiful beaches with numerous rvs camping with both MX and US plates. Never did we feel uncomfortable. The rest of the family joined us for a week in Cabo. We dropped the car there and flew home. RVing to Cabo is on the bucket list.
79howard is offline   Reply With Quote