Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Radar, if you liked Morocco, you will love Turkey - well, maybe except for the 60,000 mosques with very big loudspeakers that get going at 4:15am

BTW, in neither country did Betty feel a need to wear head coverings

In Mexico, couple of times when boondocking near small villages we had the local police come around and via their smart phones, tell us they would call around during the night to make sure we were OK.
Cool. Yah there was never a need to wear head coverings, Angela is such fashion geek though. She loves trying the local fashions on. Bad side is it all has to be packed home.

We were in Morocco for Ramadan. The call to prayer was very cool every day but the drums through the alleys during the night were kinda "interesting". We had a muslim family beside us and every night you could see they were pretty much ready to each each others arms off waiting for the sun to go down and have dinner. Especially the kids. Nice folks though. Same kind of thing for us during lent...sort of.

We hope to squeeze Turkey in on our one year RV trip through europe. We have to do the schengen shuffle (90 days in 90 days out etc) so the timing and weather will determine a lot. Also looking forward to Macedonia and the other eastern european countries. Should be fun. We may extend to 18 months. Its the winters that are tricky. Have to be far enough south but still have to play that schengen 90 day game. We'll see. I am kinda hoping to have a better grip on Arabic and Italian before we go. Only so many hours in the day.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #44

Radar

No problem , sometimes I jump a bit early. I can tell your good people. I hope you have some great adventures.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
I would never drive the RV into Mexico, although I know many people do so successfully every year. However, I refquently fly to Cozumel, as many as 3 times per year. I'm going again next month to dive and celebrate wedding ceremonies of some dear friends. I have never felt threatened in any way. In fact there is a huge military presence in most of the major resort areas. They know where their meal ticket lies. There's more money to be made from millions of tourist that from extorting a few.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI - If you do decide to drive into Mexico, make sure your insurance company will cover your RV. Some insurance companies only provide coverage in the United States (and generally Canada).

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
FYI - If you do decide to drive into Mexico, make sure your insurance company will cover your RV. Some insurance companies only provide coverage in the United States (and generally Canada).

Good luck!
Very good advice, and its also the law.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post

Good luck!
As a side note, If you have never driven into Mexico, you must purchase Mexican insurance at the border before you cross into Mexico. You will find many Mexican insurance company offices on the U.S. side that will furnish suitable insurance for the duration of your stay.

If you are stopped for a driving infraction or involved in an accident in Mexico, you must show proof of Mexican insurance. If you are involved in an accident on a toll road in particular, without Mexican insurance, you will go straight to jail, (do not pass GO).

This is above and beyond your normal RV or automobile insurance, which is not recognized in Mexico, even if it does provide you compensation for any damages that you might incur.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
.....Safer than Compton and East LA, to me.

I resemble that remark!

I was "Born in East LA", literally!

For those of you that are obviously less traveled, more than a little bigoted, and very, very fearful, fret not!

In case you are not aware, Mexico was a Spanish colony, (yes, Spain is a European country), until not to long ago. As a result, it was settled heavily up until the early 20th century by Caucasian people actively immigrating from Europe who still run the financial backbone, all of the entertainment industry, and most of the (corrupt) politics, and (corrupt) law enforcement in Mexico. Caucasian people of Spanish, German, Swiss, French, Italian, Romanian, Dutch, and Russian ancestry own, thrive, live, and run the country of Mexico to this day! 20 to 30% of the entire population of Mexico is Caucasian, (as well as the people living in East LA)!

However, most bigoted U.S. Americans are not aware of this little fact. And most U.S. American tourists would never notice the Caucasian Mexicans when visiting Mexico, (or driving through East LA), because they look just like you, and you will figure that they are lost, or tourists!

I'm a fifth generation U.S.A American, (I mention this because Mexicans and Canadians are also Americans) of Swiss, Basque/Spanish ancestry. I look Caucasian, because I am Caucasian. My kids are blonde blue-eyed towheads! But, like I mentioned before, I was born in East LA, (and I'm very proud of that)! And, I lived there very safely and comfortably until I left for college.

You folks that are afraid to drive through East LA, keep in mind that at least 20% of the people there are also fully and completely Caucasian, (yes, even the occasional gang members, nicknamed "whitey", with red or blonde hair and blue eyes)! Think of some famous Mexican American Caucasians like Emilio Estevez, Cameron Diaz, Raquel Welch, Linda Ronstadt, Christina Aguilera, and you begin to get the picture.

70% of the dark skinned Amerindian/Mexican people, (that most bigoted folks are afraid of), are mestizo to some extent or another and have red haired or blonde cousins somewhere in their family. They accept you, more than you accept them. Fear not!

All that being said, I would not drive my RV into Mexico without a convoy of like minded adventurers. I have driven all of my RVs through East LA to purchase gasoline, or stop for snacks on my way out of town!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Beach dude, your post is more than a little offensive. The concerns are not so much for the color of the people's skin our their heritage, but their propensity to rob and kidnap. Don't call me any names, just read the news. By the way, what I don't like about you is the fact you call people names, had nothing to do with the color of your skin.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Beach dude, your post is more than a little offensive. The concerns are not so much for the color of the people's skin our their heritage, but their propensity to rob and kidnap. Don't call me any names, just read the news. By the way, what I don't like about you is the fact you call people names, had nothing to do with the color of your skin.
My comment is really no more offensive than the posts for which it refers to. You don't think that your comment, "their propensity to rob and kidnap", isn't ridiculously offensive??

Regarding calling people names, if it walks like a Duck, "talks" like a Duck, and "writes" like a Duck, it's most likely a Duck.

You may choose to ignore the Ducks, I confront Ducks.

By the way montyhp, what I don't like about you has nothing to do with the color of your skin either.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country. U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by organized criminal groups in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning for Mexico, issued April 13, 2015, to update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government (USG) personnel.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post

Not that he needs or wants me to, but I'm siding with BeachDude, and not with you. His post was educational to me, as much so as yours was purely confrontational to him.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #54
jrs

I also side with BeachDude. Never been in Mexico and didn't know that either.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #55

Radar, Turkey is an awesome place to explore! So many historical places to visit/explore, great shopping, awesome food, amazing Roman baths and the beaches/sea are great. We absolutely loved the months spent exploring and the people were really helpful and friendly.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #56

Just my two cents worth... I have driven my $70k Pickup into Baja three times without incident. One time it was necessary to leave it on the street in Tijuana for an hour. One time the entire back end was filled with food and goodies to distribute to an orphanage. I left everything in the back after checking into my motel, thinking it may be gone in the morning when I got up, everything was there, untouched. I did enjoy my time at the orphanage, had some fantastic food, loved the views and beaches, etc. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote