RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Driving a Class A ?

We are thinking of moving up to a Class A DP.
Not a real long one, 34' (?)
Did it take you a while to get used to driving your class A ?
Did it seem big at first?
I don't like the idea of driving one through Seattle, Las Vegas, for example ,
but then I don't enjoy driving a car in city traffic
Thanks!

AK-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What are you moving up from? I drive a 33.9, coming up from a 28 ft class C. Sitting higher and point of view while driving is a bit of adjustment, first minutes of every trip is always fun, but before long I’m whipping it through Wal Mart. On your first trips, perhaps don’t tow anything so you can backup.

I now like the view from an A and it sure makes a nice living area. Don’t trust your first impression, it takes some time. Easing down the open interstate will give you a groove, but ultimately its not for all.

Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #3

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Have you considered a driver training course?

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Biggest difference is that you are sitting in front of the front axle. It is easy to start a turn too soon and the rear axle off tracks - turns closer to the center of the turn and then strikes the curb or worse. I have trained many firefighter to drive and the big thing to remember is don't start your turn until your hips are past the point you want the rear wheels to wind up. Go to an open parking lot and practice, practice and then practice. It will become second nature in a short time.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #5

If we can surmise from your “moving up” statement that you have experience driving, say, a 26’-30’ Class C, it will probably take you 15 minutes to get comfortable driving a 34’-36’ Class A.

You’ll actually be sitting forward of the front axles, so there may be a tendency to begin a sharp turn too early.

Driving through cities on the interstate terribly difficult or stressful, just try to avoid rush hour.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #6

Moved Up From Nothing!

Well, sort of. Used to work for the power company and drove various vehicles though not the really big ones, except on rare occassions. So I bought my Class A 3 years ago. I do NOT enjoy driving it in Dallas, Houston, and other big cities. That's because drivers are rude, obnoxious, and crazy. If there's a way to avoid doing so I'll do that. Construction zones are hairy due to the crazies. About handling. It's different. You have to be aware and swing wide. Right hand turns are especially needful of wide swings. Highway driving is routine except if there are strong cross winds which can cause buffeting. My comfort-level speed is usually around 60-65. Anything above that causes fuel mileage to tank. You will get there, but not as fast as in a car. Braking is slower. While I've driven 700 miles in a day, I was totally--I mean TOTALLY! beat. Never again! Now, I will stop at no more than 400 miles max. I'll stop at a Walmart, a Love's, a rest area, or a RV Park. Prefer electricity due to CPAP and A/C in summer. But I've used the genny if needed. I absolutely love my own bathroom, bedroom, kitchen! No restaurants, hotels, or public bathrooms! Turn off the engine, get out of drivers seat, and I'm home!
tommar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #7

The only 34' DP I know of was a Beaver brand. There were/are some front-engine diesel MH's built that short.
When driving in heavy traffic, I find my nich and try to remain un-flustered. I will not outdrive my comfort level. A MH is harder to control at the same speed than a car, I drive slower to compensate for the mass.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
National RV made a nice 33' model called Tropical.

Sorry, can't help with your question. I've never driven a class A that small !

Went from a 36' to 43'.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The only 34' DP I know of was a Beaver brand. There were/are some front-engine diesel MH's built that short.
When driving in heavy traffic, I find my nich and try to remain un-flustered. I will not outdrive my comfort level. A MH is harder to control at the same speed than a car, I drive slower to compensate for the mass.
Alpine/WRV made a 34’. Country Coach made a 32’. Both also made 36’ models.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-AZ View Post
Did it take you a while to get used to driving your class A ?
About 15 minutes. piece of cake.

Earlier this year I wanted to see if the BIL was comfortable driving my MH. Backed out of the drive, drove down the street, got on the freeway, found a Walmart.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #11

Add Foretravel to the list of companies that built a 34 ft diesel pusher
Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 PM   #12

Brain fart, I meant class A diesel, not DP . Not sure why I typed that
Although DP is not out of the question. Still researching at this point.
Great answers, thanks for the help .
AK-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-AZ View Post
Brain fart, I meant class A diesel, not DP . Not sure why I typed that
Although DP is not out of the question. Still researching at this point.
Great answers, thanks for the help .
Hmmm I've always thought DP meant Diesel Pusher.

All the diesels I'm aware of are Class A and the diesel engines are all in the back so I figured a class A DP and Class A diesel were one and the same.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #14

I first drove log vehicles back in the 1970's. My wife never drove a big vehicle until purchased our 35' class A. We spent lots off time in a high school parking lot as she learned how to drive the rig. She now has her Class A license and is very capable of driving the rv. It's not difficult, just different than driving a car. Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a