Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Brought our motor home to Canada last year from Texas. Go to the Canadian Gov Vehicle import site and make sure your your year and type of vehicle may be imported. Got a temporary (3mo) registration from the dealer. Make sure you have proof that all recalls and updates have been performed. Have the Bill of sale. Have the Form of Clear title. A copy of these three documents have to be faxed to US customs where you cross the border 72 hours before crossing. Have the originals with you when you arrive at the border. US customs puts the big stamp of approval on your documents and your good to cross the border. That takes care of the exporting part.

The importing part on the Canadian side involves an inspection of your above mentioned documents that they correspond with your VIN of the vehicle. Pay the GST on the purchase price. You pay the PST if any for the Province when and where you register it.

The whole process on both sides of the border took 1/2 hour.

The only hick-up we had was US customs had not received our docs. They were sent by the dealer on July 4th. How many fax machines run on that day!?! Make sure you have a fax receipt or confirmation. They accepted my original documents and let us go.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #16

bob mac is spot on thats the way ya do it
jawknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFXCH View Post
Brought our motor home to Canada last year from Texas. Go to the Canadian Gov Vehicle import site and make sure your your year and type of vehicle may be imported. Got a temporary (3mo) registration from the dealer. Make sure you have proof that all recalls and updates have been performed. Have the Bill of sale. Have the Form of Clear title. A copy of these three documents have to be faxed to US customs where you cross the border 72 hours before crossing. Have the originals with you when you arrive at the border. US customs puts the big stamp of approval on your documents and your good to cross the border. That takes care of the exporting part.

The importing part on the Canadian side involves an inspection of your above mentioned documents that they correspond with your VIN of the vehicle. Pay the GST on the purchase price. You pay the PST if any for the Province when and where you register it.

The only hick-up we had was US customs had not received our docs. They were sent by the dealer on July 4th. How many fax machines run on that day!?! Make sure you have a fax receipt or confirmation. They accepted my original documents and let us go.

I will have the title signed, bill of sale, recall letter from workhose chassis mfg, and RIV said dont worry about motor home mfg recall letter as they are out of business as of 2004( Georgie Boy).Just wondering what licencing you used to get MH home to Can.I can use the FLA plates that are on it , the previous owner does not mind. Fla DMV charges sales tax when you apply for a temp permit.I dont know if georgia charges sales tax or not but wondering if they want to know why you are getting a temp permit in Georgia when the MH is from Fla. Thanks all this info is great. Staaly, Ont, Can.
staaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFXCH View Post

Sorry , didn't read the part about the 3 mon temp registration from the dealer. Disregard part of the last message i sent. It must be to early in the morn for me to be typing on the internet. Going to have a coffee now. Thanks again, Staaly.
staaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #19

If anyone traded a motorhome to bring back to Ontario, did you pay taxes on the difference or the full price of the motorhome you brought back? I'm assuming you pay the GST component at the border and the PST at the license bureau?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
As others have mentioned, if you take delivery of the vehicle in Florida and want a FL temp tag, you have to pay FL taxes. If you are buying from a private party, easiest way around this is see the seller will let you keep his plates on it until you get to Canada and mail the plates back to him. If you get out of state delivery (i.e. pick up the mh in Georgia), you don't have to pay FL taxes but I'm not sure if you can get a temp permit from Georgia (I know that NY will only issue a temp permit if the vehicle was registered in NY or will be registered in NY).

I'm not sure about other provinces but in Ontario, you cannot get an Ontario Temp permit until you have the RIV Form 1 which means you cannot get an Ontario Temp permit until you get the vehicle to the border. I think the vehicle has to be currently plated as well, otherwise you can't get a temp permit until you get a safety and emissions inspection.

Realistically shipping the motorhome to the border is not an option (I suspect even a few miles would cost a fortune) and while there are companies that handle the importation, as others have mentioned, as long as you do your homework, it's really not a complicated process and from what I've seen, these companies do charge a lot.

If you live in Ontario (don't know about other provinces) and if you don't have any other options, one other option is to get a temporary address in Florida and actually register the vehicle there. You will have to pay FL tax and it may take a bit more time (I don't know about Florida but some states require 30 days or more to issue a title and you CANNOT import into Canada until you get the title) but if the vehicle is already registered in your name elsewhere (e.g. Florida), you will not have to pay Ontario PST when you register it there (you will still have to pay the GST portion at the border).

Last option (I don't recommend this but if you are really stuck, it will probably work) is to simply use the plate from another vehicle. I'm sure this is illegal (I have no idea what the penalty would be - I actually don't think it's all that severe) but unless you are involved in an accident or get stopped for whatever reason, chances are you'll never get caught. (I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've actually done this. I purchased a used mh in Arkansas and I found out when I got to the DMV that Arkansas will only issue temp permits to US citizens (not really sure what the reasoning behind that is but since I'm a Canadian citizen, Arkansas would not sell me a temp permit). I don't know why I had brought my old plate with me (I think it was in case I couldn't make it to the DMV before it closed since I was picking up the mh on a Friday afternoon) but I was glad I had it and I just put that on and drive to Canada with that and got a temp permit once I got to Ontario).

As far as the importing itself, as others have mentioned, there's not much to it although you do have to do your homework (biggest thing is that it MUST be on the RIV admissible list). For the recall clearance letter, I think the RIV website says you might need it from more that one manufacturer but I've imported a few motor homes and except for the first, I've only gotten them from the chassis manufacturer (e.g. Ford or Chevy for gassers, Freightliner, Spartan or some manufacturers for DPs) and I've never needed any more. This does mean that you can't import some 'admissible' mhs (e.g. I believe some years of Country Coach are admissible (and National RV Islanders) but the chassis was made by Country Coach Inc which is no longer in business. When I asked them, Country Coach Corporation (which salvaged some of the old company) told me they COULD NOT issue a recall clearance letter.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #21

I am a Canadian who has purchased 2 cars and 1 Class A in NY and Vermont. All were from dealers. They sold the units "for export" which meant I did NOT have to pay state tax. They also had temp plates for the transport back home.
Of course you must consult the RIV site before importing. HST, RIV fee and a "Canadianizing check" are all that stands between you and your RV. We are still being hosed by the Canadian dealers. I will continue to buy in the US and save thousands of $$.
debnbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnbill View Post
I am a Canadian who has purchased 2 cars and 1 Class A in NY and Vermont. All were from dealers. They sold the units "for export" which meant I did NOT have to pay state tax. They also had temp plates for the transport back home.
It's important to note that whether or not you have to pay state tax varies state to state. California, Florida, Arizona (I think, although I've heard conflicting reports that there might be an exemption form for export), Massachusetts, Indiana, etc all charge tax if the vehicle is purchased in that state even if it's for export out of the country. Some charge the tax for any purchase, some only charge it for dealer sales.

This is just one of the things you have to research.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
It's important to note that whether or not you have to pay state tax varies state to state. California, Florida, Arizona (I think, although I've heard conflicting reports that there might be an exemption form for export), Massachusetts, Indiana, etc all charge tax if the vehicle is purchased in that state
EXCEPT THAT:

Neither the above-named States nor any other charges/collects sales tax if the vehicle is immediately removed to a State that itself has no sales tax. (Oregon and others.)

This is by interstate compact, and I don't know if such an exemption would be available to an out-of-Country buyer, but it would be worth looking into.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote