Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also had a 5er I pulled with 3/4 ton 35 foot 5er. I went to a 38 foot diesel pusher. Everyone positive others have said I agree with. The difference in the distance the front wheels turn is remarkable. I can turn the wheels all the way to one side and for every foot I go forward I go several feet sideways. PUlling into campsites or backing into campsites is so much easier. Learning when to turn is just what others said. I live on a very narrow country lane ( two cars meet one has to back to a driveway for them to pass.) I pull my bus into the opposing lane of traffic when i get to my lane. I then go past the lane until the front of my bus is even with the ditch on the far side of the lane. I cut the wheels all the way and pull into the lane perfectlly. There are big trees on either side of the lane so I have to make sure I hit it straight. I can do this while pulling my large suv and make it with no problems.

I would consider a d/p versus gas. I dont know how good a deal you are looking at but my 400 cummins ISL has 1200 foot pounds of torque and I do not think I would like a gas engine as well
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #16

Unfortunately I'm not is a position to afford a DP. However, I think I will be pleased with a move from a fifth wheel to a motorhome, even though it is a gas pusher.
Bruceeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #17

Hey Bruce when is the first big trip and where if you care to share with us?
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceeb View Post
Unfortunately I'm not is a position to afford a DP. However, I think I will be pleased with a move from a fifth wheel to a motorhome, even though it is a gas pusher.

I wasn't aware that anyone made a gas pusher??
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

I wasn't aware that anyone made a gas pusher??
Yep
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...sis-47473.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #20

Whether it's the coach or the fiver, we're booked into Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast.
We'll tour some of Oregon, then the south and north west portion of Washington. Utah is in out sights down the road.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have a great time on the Oregeon coast. You won't have any problem with the Class A. Get it, go and enjoy!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #22

I'd suggest a brief training session with an instructor from your local transit agency or maybe the folks that train school bus drivers in your area.

I went from never driving anything bigger than a Mercury Colony Park wagon to driving 35' transit buses in rush-hour city traffic in only 4 weeks and most of that was learning the routes rather than driving the bus.

The basic rule is take it slowly, take it wide and take your wallet. Seriously, the biggest thing is learning how far to dive into a turn before you actually start turning. You're sitting 4 feet or more ahead of the steer wheels and the dynamics are completely different.

You can do some real mischief if you don't seek some kind of help that has experience driving long vehicles with forward control. My rig isn't forward control - I'm sitting just about on top of the steer axle - but my transit experience has made driving our rig really easy.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #23

I would be pretty much sitting on top of the front wheels. I've pulled trailers and fifth wheels, and have been in a variety or driving conditions, I think I will be fine, just looking for some feedback on the difference between pulling a fiver and driving a coach.
But thank you for your input. It is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruceeb,
We are in a new to us 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J on. W22 Workhorse Chassis running the 8.1 V8. This is my first motorhome, heck it's my first RV. I couldn't be happier with it. I did however see a UFO at Camping World in NH and admit to a little envy. I frequently drive Isuzu and Mitsubishi tilt cab reefer trucks as part of my job and credit that seat time with my comfort level behind the wheel. These trucks are tall and have wide swinging tails. Similar characteristics to my Winnebago. The 8.1 is a smooth powerhouse on the highway and handled well on the back country mountain roads of Maine this week. Made a wrong turn on a country road and had to turn around by backing into a gravel road between some trees, we made it out just fine. I think I would still be on that road if I had a 5th wheel.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Thanks Dave! You just don't ever get through learning!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #26

My wife and I are off to see it tomorrow!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #27

Bruce...that 2008 Workhorse chassis will be a huge improvement over my P30 Chassis. I like the drive I get from my rig...and I am sure that you will love yours. Good Luck..I hope it is everything you ever wanted.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Late last year we moved from a 28' fifth wheel and Ford F250 super duty super crew diesel 4x4 to a small gas motorhome with the option of towing my vw golf. We love it. Every time we pull into a cc DH laughs at the ease of set up. Enjoy!!
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote