Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Question Driving from Maryland to Orlando Winterized

Well, we are taking our first long trip to Orlando (staying at Ft Wilderness for a couple of nights) leaving sometime either before or after Xmas - our reservation starts on the 27th, so we have plenty of time to get down. I currently have our new RV winterized and stored. We are trying to plan the date of departure, stopping location, dewinterizing process, and rewinterizing when we return. I called the RV dealership where we bought and they recommended keeping it winterized while we drive down to warmer weather and then finding a location somewhere on our way down and then winterize on our way back up. I want to have usage of all facilities in the RV as soon as we are in warmer weather and then as much as possible on the way back. I have a few questions for you:
- Any advice on that approach - keeping it winterized until we get closer down or at least in warmer weather
- Places and locations that we can just pop into get dewinterized and blow out lines etc.
- Same thing on the return from Orlando - we depart on Jan 4 and looking to get back home on the 6 in MD. Any good spots to winterize on way back.
-Since this is our first trip - I prefer not to have to do winterizing and dewinterizing myself. I plan on saving that until spring.

- Also any good routes you would take to get there and any other great spots to stop?
- Any advice on leaving before or after Xmas - concerned around what is or isn't open.
Thanks all for the help - we are new (completely to RVing) only one weekend out with it since we bought it two weeks ago to practice at a campground. We appreciate any advice or lessons learned you may have to share!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Driving from Maryland to Orlando Winterized

What coach do you have? Do you have a hydronic heating system?
Old 12-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

Depending on the weather forecast when you leave Maryland you can either de-winterize before you leave or at your first overnight stop. We made 350-400 miles per day traveling last Feb. and that worked for us. I am an early bird so get underway real early,( make coffee before start ) stop mid morning for breakfast ( usually Cracker Barrel ) and stop for the night early afternoon so we don't have to hookup in the dark. We de-winterized at Pedro's South of the Border ( Pedros campground has been rebuilt and was a good stopping place for the night ) and Winterized on return trip in Enfield N Carolina (Va border) on the way back. We were traveling from Boston. Carried bottled water for flushing, drinking and coffee.
Make reservations for Disney's Hoop de Do review for supper one night ahead of time so you can get floor seats instead of balcony. It is in Fort Wilderness and is a great show.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

Just re-read your post. RV Trip Wizard will give you all the dealers on your route to do the Winterizing but it isn't rocket science. I would have a tech at the dealer where you bought it go through it with you before you leave. ( should cost less than having it done & you won't lose travel time ) Only takes about 1/2 hr after you are familiar. Take notes so you don't forget anything. We took 95 down and back with no issues. There are restrictions for the Baltimore tunnels on propane.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we travel in the winter. If the weather is going to be above freezing we de-winterize before leaving. Otherwize watching the forecast on the road we de-winterize at a camp ground along the route to FL.

Be prepared to winterize you camper. I have had to do it most return trips. Watch the weather forecast and determine where you should winterize. We done it as low as NC and we done it January in our drive in Ohio. Sometimes I will leave +- a few days to miss the freezing weather.

I will cary a 4 gallon jug for water if I'm winterized.

PS my coach as the winter package. But I dont risk things freezing.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
What coach do you have? Do you have a hydronic heating system?
@USMCRET No hydronic system - I have an LP Furnance which I will likely run to keep the tanks warm if I do dewinterize it.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Just re-read your post. RV Trip Wizard will give you all the dealers on your route to do the Winterizing but it isn't rocket science. I would have a tech at the dealer where you bought it go through it with you before you leave. ( should cost less than having it done & you won't lose travel time ) Only takes about 1/2 hr after you are familiar. Take notes so you don't forget anything. We took 95 down and back with no issues. There are restrictions for the Baltimore tunnels on propane.
@Roy-c, yes, I would have liked to have done that. My dealer shuts down Dec. 23 at 11am and doesn't reopen until Jan 4 2021 unfortunately. So it woudl really be only seeing dewinterization since it is already winterized. I am sure I can do it, just have to see what they do and take notes as you said. We have a water heater, W/D, and Ice Maker. Agree not rocket science.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #8

Welcome to the group and congrats on the new coach. Looking at the weather for next week, I would go ahead and load up with water before leaving. Dewinterizing is mostly just adding water to everything. Make sure the water heater is filled before turning it on. The icemaker line is heated, but the refrigerator must be turned on. Your Adventurer has a heated basement, so run the furnace to keep things from freezing. That is how you will use it when the temps get nippy in the years to come. Enjoy the new coach.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Depending on the weather forecast when you leave Maryland you can either de-winterize before you leave or at your first overnight stop. We made 350-400 miles per day traveling last Feb. and that worked for us. I am an early bird so get underway real early,( make coffee before start ) stop mid morning for breakfast ( usually Cracker Barrel ) and stop for the night early afternoon so we don't have to hookup in the dark. We de-winterized at Pedro's South of the Border ( Pedros campground has been rebuilt and was a good stopping place for the night ) and Winterized on return trip in Enfield N Carolina (Va border) on the way back. We were traveling from Boston. Carried bottled water for flushing, drinking and coffee.
Make reservations for Disney's Hoop de Do review for supper one night ahead of time so you can get floor seats instead of balcony. It is in Fort Wilderness and is a great show.
@Roy-c, we will definitely take that advice on FtW.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Welcome to the group and congrats on the new coach. Looking at the weather for next week, I would go ahead and load up with water before leaving. Dewinterizing is mostly just adding water to everything. Make sure the water heater is filled before turning it on. The icemaker line is heated, but the refrigerator must be turned on. Your Adventurer has a heated basement, so run the furnace to keep things from freezing. That is how you will use it when the temps get nippy in the years to come. Enjoy the new coach.
@znt1186, thank you. That would be the best scenario for me and then winterize on way back.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #11

Suggest you reconsider having some one de winterize and winterize your rig. Scheduling that service is going to be problematic. I think you can do this yourself with a bit of research.

Also suggest you be flexible about you departure and return based upon weather. Keep an eye on it and leave early if need be to avoid winter storms. Same on the return. Makes it difficult to schedule service (de winterize) if you adjust your schedule last minute to avoid a storm.

Roy C suggestions are solid.
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
When we travel in the winter. If the weather is going to be above freezing we de-winterize before leaving. Otherwize watching the forecast on the road we de-winterize at a camp ground along the route to FL.

Be prepared to winterize you camper. I have had to do it most return trips. Watch the weather forecast and determine where you should winterize. We done it as low as NC and we done it January in our drive in Ohio. Sometimes I will leave +- a few days to miss the freezing weather.

@ArtJoyce, thank you.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We have traveled for a few days winterized. We used rest stops or gas station restrooms where possible, but kept a jug of RV anti-freeze in the washroom and poured it directly into the toilet when we had to use it. We used wipes to clean our hands. We de-winterized at the destination campground. We ran the gas furnace while traveling. It was still uncomfortably cool while driving(February- Canada, -25F to -30F) because of the large inside space of the RV. The best solution for this we found was to put up a spring loaded shower curtain rod, modified to be wide enough to place between the side walls and near the ceiling just behind the driver/passenger seats with a curtain on it(or light weight blankets). This allowed us to drive in comfort and warm with the dash heat staying in the front area. We liked this so well, we travel with this rod all the time in case of cold weather and made curtain for it that matches the RV's decor. We put it up when needed. No modifications were needed for the RV. Have a great holiday in Orlando.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post

@ArtJoyce - this is the plan I am likely to follow or just dewinterize myself when we get to the camp ground in FL. Thanks.

Tags
de-winterize, maryland, orlando, travel south during xmas, winter, winterize