Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #15

Just did it two weeks ago. Slow and easy with a lot of space between you and the person in front of you and hope the guy behind you does the same thing for you.

I was suprised at how well the coach did. If I had the chance to pull over and park for a while I would have but couldn't.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

Got a tandem? If you are going to stop .....do it on a down hill grade - not up hill. Warm tires melt the snow and form ice under them. In the am if renewing a trip in cold weather...you may have to tap the brake drums/shoes to release your brake shoes that may be froze to the drums. Slow, slow - slow.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #17

It seems every time we head out for some place during the winter months we have to go through at least a blizzard either on the way out or the way back. Snow isn't a problem until it gets heavy enough you can't see the lines on the road or it blows so hard you can't see anything.

Several years ago we hit a nasty one going from Rochester MN. to Madison WI. The traffic on the interstate was going about 35 mph at the maximum and the salt trucks were out in force. What normally takes 3 to 4 hours took over 10. The snow was so heavy we had to stop a couple times to clear it off the windshield and headlights. Even in the deep snow traction wasn't a problem. The biggest problem was ice on the bridges. Motorhomes don't like ice. They look and feel like an elephant trying to ice skate.

In the past we've always had a schedule to meet. Now that we're retired that schedule isn't so important. If it's a light snow without a lot of wind we'll still hit the road, but we now would rather avoid the blizzards than try to muscle through them.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My choice is to be off the road. But if you have to travel, go slow and stready and get off the road ASAP.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Snow is a Four Letter Word

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=WsOMeru8pxQ&sns=em

Snow comes in many types: Wet, Slushy, Dry, Icy. They all take different techniques to drive. If you have not had the opportunity to experience them, it might be best to park till the roads are clear. They all can bee driven with the proper care, till the speed, grade, or slope come in to play. Most of us are not on a time schedule, park it till the weather improves!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I understand how to drive in snow and agree with what everyone is saying.

But if stuck in it and you need to go 20-30 miles till you can get off how does a MH handle verses other types of vehicles ?

Is traction good from a standing start.

Does the rear end fish tail around.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I drove log trucks for many years in the Canadian North. We used to run daily through the Coquihalla Hwy in BC. There was a program on TV for a while called Hiway Thru Hell, that was it.
It does not bother me to drive in snow and ice but I don't recommend it for every one.

If you have a heavy DP it will handle quite well as long as you don't try to stop fast. They are so heavy that you have pretty good traction. Unless you get crazy it wont fishtail and traction will be good from the start. If it is sheer ice then it wont handle any better than any other vehicle. I have been caught in a couple blizzard conditions and had to drive quite a ways to get to a good place to wait it out. Even with all the experience I have had I will still find a place and wait it out. No hurry no worry!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We left from Ontario to Florida on boxing day last year and drove through a storm that went from light to heavy driving through the south of NY and north of PA. My wife was following me in our minivan (which we were leaving at the airport in Scranton, PA) and she thought it the driving was absolutly terrible but in the mh, it really didn't feel too bad (I actually had to keep slowing down so I didn't pull too far ahead of her).

I think the above comparaison to 4x4s is pretty good though. While I was on the road it felt fine but I suspect if I had to stop or maneuvre quickly, I wouldn't have had much traction.

We ended up parking it in a mall lot and spending the night there.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a relative that drove their late model Class A in snow a few times going from Michigan to Florida, one day they discovered that the basement storage compartments were almost completely rusted through. It cost them several thousand dollars to replace.
Road salt is probably the cause, doubt there is undercoating on most RVs.
cgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #24

Does anyone know if most class A motorhomes have open or limited slip rear ends?

I have a freightliner 1999 HR Endeavor pusher.

Think I'll post in the chassis forum, too.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #25

I've never heard of a motorhome (either gas or diesel powered) that had a limited slip differential. The larger F53 Ford chassis have a 5.38 open differential.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #26

As tow service operator in Iowa, love snow, Park MH, or be very slow, Or we may meet and it will COST you!
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well my first major trip I drove straight into a blizzard (38 footer) the RV handled quite well.. I did slow down a bit, and when it got too white and scary I found a rest area for the night and rested.....

Next morning I woke up and walked to the attached restaurant for breakfast.. And the morning TV news.. About all the cars in the ditch alongside the freeway.

By that time the highway dept. had done what it does, the roads were clear and BLACK once again, and yes, the news was not kidding about cars in the ditch.

My next "Driving in snow" happened when I got to where I was going and they had like six inches in the parking lot... but at 5mph. Who cares.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #28

For those that have driven in the snow, did you have all weather tires on or steer tires on the back?