Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
driving in windy conditions

We just pulled off the I-20 because of wind. A couple very strong gusts pulled a slide open slightly and caused the slide seal to buzz. I think the winds were probably about 15 miles an hour gusting to maybe 25. The wind came up suddenly as a storm front moved in.
Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Also what wind speeds do you consider safe? 15mph doesn't sound like much, especially in the prairie but it can play havoc with driving comfort in my opinion.

As always - thanks for feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
We just pulled off the I-20 because of wind. A couple very strong gusts pulled a slide open slightly and caused the slide seal to buzz. I think the winds were probably about 15 miles an hour gusting to maybe 25. The wind came up suddenly as a storm front moved in.
Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Also what wind speeds do you consider safe? 15mph doesn't sound like much, especially in the prairie but it can play havoc with driving comfort in my opinion.

As always - thanks for feedback.

I too hate crosswinds. Considering that we drive big sails, 15 mph sustained with gusts is unnerving. I have done some mods for sway and that has helped a bit however, I will gladly take a "rest break" and let it pass as I will never be in such a big hurry that I will endanger myself or others, even if that means I am "late" to my next location. These things are suppose to be for pleasure so if I am uncomfortable. I stop.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Do youy have slide locks, or should get/make some? 15mph winds should not be a giant problem.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi stegosaurus,
firedoc beat me to the question. Mechanical slide locks (auto or manual) are something that should be used. Does your coach have slide locks?

As to driving in cross winds, a steering stablizer will help quite a bit. To go first class consider the Blue Ox Tru Center. Being able to recenter the steering when there are cross winds is a value not understood until one drives for a day and arrives refreshed instead of exhausted. Go to Blue Ox - TruCenter and read about it.

If your coach has air bags, air bag restrictors work well to minimize cross wind side push on the coach that the driver feels. Go to http://www.hendersonslineup.com/prod...uspension.html and read about them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks all,

I have a Fleetwood and it doesn't have auto slide locks or a mechanical one like a bar that we had on our old Monaco. The slides are Power Gear and they have a brake on the motor but the slide gets pulled out at the top from the suction on the leeward side in a cross wind. I guess I will need to figure out how to make a bar lock when I get home.

The big difference on this coach is that the inside edge of the slide (that lays against the coach wall when extended) in only an inch or so wide and the coach wall seems soft where it might push against.

I am very skittish in winds of any kind right now. Gotta fix this somehow. Our friends have a Winnie and it has a lock that catches the top of the slide when it's retracted. I hope Fleetwood does this to thier new coaches.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
After going on-line, it looks like we had winds at 20 to25. Still should that have pulled on the slide enough to catch the seal and make it vibrate? (Think the noise you get by stretching a wide rubber band and blowing on it to get that "braaap" noise.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We sometimes get the "braap" noise in severe cross winds and I thought it was probably one of the awnings vibrating. I do slow down when I hear that noise and the noise goes away.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Same As Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
After going on-line, it looks like we had winds at 20 to25. Still should that have pulled on the slide enough to catch the seal and make it vibrate?
Steg, we feel yer pain... The worst today was barrelling thru a turn and the wind gust seemed to conspire with centrifugal force to push us off the narrow road. Honest to God, the Texas Farm Road we were on was no wider than your driveway, steeply crowned, had zero shoulder and was posted at 70 mph. Still, the crosswinds just pushed us an inch or two, didn't make anything flap, flutter, bang or thump.

Indeed, a direct hit on your rig by a 25 mph gust should barely register, under normal circumstances. It certainly should not affect your slides; I image you need to have the retraction mechanism re-adjusted. One thing you might try: if the top/bottom contact at different times, alter the set bolt at the lower arm to make everything parallel at the moment of seal contact. You might be amazed at the result. In any case, retract your slide several times to make sure everything works smoothly, and make only tiny adjustements between test-runs.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #9

I often feel sorry for folks traveling through Wyoming because I have a hard time keeping an empty pickup truck in my own lane on the way to work when it gets "breezy"...

I've seen the message boards advising "no light trailers" or "road closed to all high profile vehicles" quite frequently this year. Winds of 45mph are pretty regular here and can gust to 60 or more!

I drive a tanker truck for a living and I can feel the wind pushing it around even while loaded to 85,000!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stegosaurus,

We too have a Fleetwood DP with Power Gear mechanisms and no slide locks. We have encountered strong desert gusts that have pushed us around a little, many of them at and above the 25 MPH gusts that you experienced. Although we sometimes feel a draft from the wind occasionally getting by the slide seals, we have never experienced a slide malfunction. Perhaps you should have it looked at by a professional that you trust.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

Our '99 Discovery, has been through some of the worst winds, head on, cross-winds, you name it. We have made the trip from MI. to AZ. many times, and, aside from being a hand full at times, I have never experienced having the slides move. I am knocking on wood, as I write. This was not meant to be a thread killer, just my $.02, OK?

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Never had slides move, lost the awning in 50 + mph winds in South Dakota. Personally I pull off when the winds hit 30 mph sustained or gusting in the high 40s.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
All My wife said that the top of the slide opened about an inch this time. Last year we were driving and it opened 4 - 6 inches. Camping World (bought it from them))
replaced the slide motor because it had a bad brake. We may be overly nervous because of those memories. Keep the feedback coming please
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I never mind steady winds up to 30 or so. But gusting winds are definitely a bother. My Bus does pretty well as a large tag should. But my gas coach could be harrowing at times. The one thing I learned that really helped the smaller coach was to fill the water tank and top-off the fuel. But really if you're having that sinking feeling then pulling off to lower speed roads was the best call for me and definitely pleased the wife.