Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #1

Driving thru Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Columbus

If all goes as planned I will be picking up a motorhome in Memphis in a couple of weeks and driving it back to northeast Ohio. My route takes me thru Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Columbus. Which of these cities should I plan on taking a bypass around? It looks like I may just be as well staying on the interstate going thru Nashville and Louisville. Cincinnati looks like 275 to go around and back on 71. Columbus 270 around and back on 71. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Just want to stay safe and comfortable.
mikervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Take Briley Pkwy around Nashville.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #3

If you are experienced in driving RV’s or other large vehicles this reply may not be appropriate. My response is from an inexperienced point of view. I have been driving or 34’ Class A towing a toad for 3 years.
Going through Nashville - any time of day - was a challenge. Traffic was heavy.
Having an Garmin 700 RV was a real help. It displays which lane you need in advance of taking an exit. Gives you time to change lanes.

Also, if possible, take someone with you to help watch traffic and manage the Garmin.

Another helpful tool is RVTRIPWIZARD. I find it very helpful in planning trips and locating places to stay along the route.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I drive through Nashville northbound and southbound on I-75 twice a year. I have tried the bypass route but find that driving straight through on I-75 works just as well and is shorter and faster as long as I don't hit the rush hour traffic. Plan your trip to arrive in Nashville after 10 AM, and be through Nashville before 3PM. The hardest part is positioning yourself in the correct lane early, so you don't have to do quick lane changes. As Jerrilynn said, it is very helpful to have a good GPS which will give you advance notice of lane changes. I use a Rand McNally but I think even Google maps or Waze on a smartphone would serve the same purpose here.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #5

I live in Columbus and drive to Cincinnati often.

When you get to Cincinnati, take I-75 north to I-670 south of Dayton, Ohio.

Take I-670 around the south and east side of Dayton to I-70 east to Columbus.

In Columbus, get on I-270 north around the west and north side of Columbus to I-71 north. Do NOT go through downtown Columbus. A major highway project is underway there, and much of it is at the I-70/I-71 interchange. It’s a mess down there right now.

I suggest this route because I-71 north between Cincinnati and Columbus is a terrible road. It’s bumpy and there is a lot of construction on the route.

What part of northeast Ohio? We used to live in Struthers, which is near Youngstown.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I drive through Nashville northbound and southbound on I-75 twice a year. I have tried the bypass route but find that driving straight through on I-75 works just as well and is shorter and faster as long as I don't hit the rush hour traffic. Plan your trip to arrive in Nashville after 10 AM, and be through Nashville before 3PM. The hardest part is positioning yourself in the correct lane early, so you don't have to do quick lane changes. As Jerrilynn said, it is very helpful to have a good GPS which will give you advance notice of lane changes. I use a Rand McNally but I think even Google maps or Waze on a smartphone would serve the same purpose here.
You mean I65 through Nashville.

As stated above, take Briley Pkw around Nashville then the bypass I265 south of Louisville to I71 to Cincy. Try to hit Cincy at a good time.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #7

We've done that route several times going from New Hampshire to Texas and back in our 32ft MinnieWinne. Nashville, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Columbus all sound familiar.

Since we don't know any of those places, wisely or not, we just followed Google maps and didn't really give it much thought. I don't recall any particular problems. Last time was in April heading south. Sorry I can't give the routes but I remember I65.

By the way, we always stay at the Cracker Barrel in Franklin, TN which is near Nashville.

The drive from Memphis to Nashville is long and boring in one direction but boring and long the other way. One way to pass the time is by counting how many signs you see for the Loretta Lynn ranch or for adult superstores with truck parking.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #8

I always go around Cincinnati, have tried to go thru on low traffic times and it still sucked, take the full 275 around dont follow the gps that wants to cut over in 2 places, As above 71 does suck.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #9

Thank you. I would not have known about that.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #10

Got a Garmin 780 but not going to have a copilot. Think I will take the Briley Parkway around. I didn't think Nashville was that big!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

Thanks for the info especially about the Cracker Barrel. I was looking for someplace to stop for the night and what could be better. A good supper and breakfast and on my way! I see there is one just north of Nashville in Franklin, Kentucky also.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To me it depends on the time of day, this Saturday we will be heading to Pigeon Forge Tennessee from outside of Akron Ohio. We are planing our departure time so as not to hit any rush hours in Columbus and Cincy, if we leave our house at 9:00am we will be going through Columbus around 11:00am and Cincy around 1:00pm. so we will be going straight through both. We have traveled this route many time and if it’s eleven close to rush hour go around the said cities.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikervet View Post
Thanks for the info especially about the Cracker Barrel. I was looking for someplace to stop for the night and what could be better. A good supper and breakfast and on my way! I see there is one just north of Nashville in Franklin, Kentucky also.
My apps show no overnight parking at the Cracker Barrel in Franklin or Brentwood. The one in Franklin offers a few RV parking spots for small RVs. No RV parking spots at Brentwood.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:15 AM   #14

Why not take the Blue Grass parkway east out of Elisabeth Town to Lexington to I75 north to I275 around Cincinnati. West or east is your choice. If you are a FMCA member you can stay 2 nights free on southeast side of Cincinnati. 3590 Roundbottom Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45244. 15 sites 50 amp full hookup and more with 50amp electric only.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote