Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Opinions: who drives with their engine brake on all the time and why???
ernest917,
As you can see and read, there's lots of opinions on why drivers do what they do. First, a JAKE or, Engine Brake, (NOT AN EXHAUST BRAKE) is NO louder than the coach would be on full acceleration. The your Engine Brake exhausts through the muffler, period! So, what ever sound level is present while accelerating, you're going to get the same noise level during Jake Braking.

Second, since there's all kinds of drivers, all kinds of rigs, towing or not towing all kinds of toads with various weights, the use and effect of these JAKE type brakes will vary, from coach to coach. Hence, lots of varied tactics.

Third, it's your coach. Drive it, use it in multiple driving circumstances and practice with your Jake brake to see just what YOU PREFER for your driving techniques. Techniques used for one person may, or may not work all that well for others.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
ernest917,
As you can see and read, there's lots of opinions on why drivers do what they do. First, a JAKE or, Engine Brake, (NOT AN EXHAUST BRAKE) is NO louder than the coach would be on full acceleration. The your Engine Brake exhausts through the muffler, period! So, what ever sound level is present while accelerating, you're going to get the same noise level during Jake Braking.

Second, since there's all kinds of drivers, all kinds of rigs, towing or not towing all kinds of toads with various weights, the use and effect of these JAKE type brakes will vary, from coach to coach. Hence, lots of varied tactics.

Third, it's your coach. Drive it, use it in multiple driving circumstances and practice with your Jake brake to see just what YOU PREFER for your driving techniques. Techniques used for one person may, or may not work all that well for others.
Scott
Hi scott, I am going to venture to guess that the OP has a "Variable exhaust brake" on his engine........
Maybe the OP can confirm this?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is always on now - I had mine reprogrammed by Cummins to activate when the brake pedal was depressed (or tapped) - I did not like the default programming of activating the brake when the throttle is released. What I really missed was the ability to coast and the programming change allowed for that. To deactivate the brake, you just need to touch the throttle.
I would highly recommend making this change to anyone - it allows the brake to be on all the time which is a real safety plus should there ever be the need to stop quickly. It must be reprogrammed with the Cummins software - I visited Cummins just for the change and they charged me one hour labor.
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #18

Ours is too aggressive for use in town, even when attempting to carefully modulate the throttle. So it's hills and slowing from speed, like an off ramp, for the most part here. I do use it in heavy freeway traffic, at speeds that let me avoid 2nd and 3rd gear. Those shifts, up and down, are too aggressive for me. All I can think of is the abuse the engine mounts are getting on every one of those shifts....
Old 12-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is on in the mountains and coming off high speed roads. Otherwise it's off. I don't want the engine brake coming on every time I decide to coast. Even in mountains I turn it on selectively.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I'm glad somebody brought up the fact that there's a difference between an "engine brake" (i.e. "Jake brake" or Jacobs compression brake, etc.) and an "exhaust brake" as I know it's been talked about on this forum many times through the years but probably should be brought up again for the benefit of the newer owners who may have never owned a diesel engine before.

Difference Between Jake Brake and Exhaust Brake

Most of us probably have an exhaust brake but many of you do have a true Jacobs Brake if you have a larger engine in the more upscale coaches.

Although Jacobs also makes an exhaust brake, they are famous for their Jacobs compression release engine brake which was actually invented by Clessie Cummins.

Decades ago when I drove transit buses, we had a fleet of GMC buses referred to as "fishbowls" (a T8H-5305) which had a V8 Detroit Diesel and had from what I was told, one of the first Jake Brakes used on transit buses. It was loud and powerful. Even though it had a switch to turn it off and on, we were instructed to leave it on most of the time and to turn it off only when operating at night in residential areas as it was tremendously loud. I think the modern ones used nowadays have been quieted down quite a bit.

As for the exhaust brake on the Cummins in my motorhome and pickup truck, like others have already said, I turn it on only when I need it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
I have a two stage brake on my 08 coach and I've NEVER left my brake on all the time... My reason for asking is I recently went with a friend of mine to pick up his new-to-him pusher and listened as he was told to always drive with the brake on... When I asked why I was told it's just so much safer to do so....

I was a tad confused because I've never used mine unless I'm driving in the mountains or other place with steep grades...

It's just me I guess but I just don't see the benefit of driving with it on all the time.... Thanks for all your responses...I think I'll continue using it as I have been all these years....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always on...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:28 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I have a two stage brake on my 08 coach and I've NEVER left my brake on all the time... My reason for asking is I recently went with a friend of mine to pick up his new-to-him pusher and listened as he was told to always drive with the brake on... When I asked why I was told it's just so much safer to do so....

I was a tad confused because I've never used mine unless I'm driving in the mountains or other place with steep grades...

It's just me I guess but I just don't see the benefit of driving with it on all the time.... Thanks for all your responses...I think I'll continue using it as I have been all these years....
Thank you for the update..........safe travels and Merry Christmas to ya!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have an Engine Brake but do have an Exhaust Brake.

However, if I did have an Engine Brake I would NOT drive with it on ALL the time as they are very aggressive as compared to the Exhaust Brake that I am currently using. Plus they are generally 2 or 3 stage brakes whereas the Exhaust Brake is only one stage.

But, WRT Exhaust Brakes I do drive with that switch activated ALL the time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #25

In heavy traffic it stays on.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #26

Out of curiosity, with the jake/exhaust break on. would you stop more quickly in a "panic stop" situation?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #27

I turn mine on when I need it.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Out of curiosity, with the jake/exhaust break on. would you stop more quickly in a "panic stop" situation?
stage 2 engine "brake" helps but exhaust "brakes" are useless

unless they break then no worky at all
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine