Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Opinions: who drives with their engine brake on all the time and why???

iam curious as to why you started this thread when you don't have a engine brake?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is always on, except when it's off. Have a three stage engine brake and I usually don't need anything more than the middle setting.
It is only with the advent of the muffled engine brakes that they became pretty much silent, the old ones were very noisy and sounded somewhat like a machine gun when in use.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
iam curious as to why you started this thread when you don't have a engine brake?
He may be confused. As mentioned in my previous post, he might think he has a compression brake (or "engine brake" a.k.a. Jake Brake) but actually has an exhaust brake. I'm guessing there may be quite a few that really aren't distinguishing the two.

However, perhaps he wanted to know how many drive with their exhaust brakes "on all the time and why."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
In the motorhome market, I don't believe you will find a compression brake (aka true Jake) in an ISB or ISC. The ISL is available both ways depending on the year of production. An ISX will always have a compression brake.
Thanks for the confirmation, Steve. It sounds as if my guess was relatively accurate.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #46

Forest River Owners Club
Select55.....

Hmmmmm.... That's strange.... Not sure where u got that idea because I've been using it for years.... Want me to attach a picture for u??
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Select55.....

Hmmmmm.... That's strange.... Not sure where u got that idea because I've been using it for years.... Want me to attach a picture for u??
Picture's are always good.....and even better, unless I missed it somewhere in this thread..........what Make/model is your engine?
I assume a Cummins........what model?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Is it a two stage or three stage engine brake and what engine is in your coach?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Almost all the time. It is great for quickly slowing for traffic or a signal change and of course it saves the brakes. Not recommended when ice or snow are present (even wet freeway) as you may have the rear end trying to pass you.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Select55.....

Hmmmmm yes that would be good
thanks

last 2008 Berkshire I looked at had a 350 HP Cummins diesel engine, exhaust brake,
Old 12-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #51

I like to coast even on exit ramps, so I only use it when going down hills or at the end of the ramp. Our ISM11 only has high and low. I use low a lot and only apply high when needed, but seldom use either in towns due to their restrictions.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
I like to coast even on exit ramps, so I only use it when going down hills or at the end of the ramp. Our ISM11 only has high and low. I use low a lot and only apply high when needed, but seldom use either in towns due to their restrictions.

restrictions are for the big truckers unmufflered noisy systems
my ISL 425 cant hardly be herad
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #53

The only time mine is turned off is on wet or slippery roads. Otherwise, I have it on low on a level highway, switching to high when appropriate in the mountains and high in heavy city traffic for when the idiot pulls in front of me and slows down. It only engages when the brake is touched and releases when the accelerator it tapped. With our total weight over 50,000#, the engine brake operation is very smooth in low and agressive when needed in high.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The only time mine is turned off is on wet or slippery roads. Otherwise, I have it on low on a level highway, switching to high when appropriate in the mountains and high in heavy city traffic for when the idiot pulls in front of me and slows down. It only engages when the brake is touched and releases when the accelerator it tapped. With our total weight over 50,000#, the engine brake operation is very smooth in low and agressive when needed in high.

wow man are you heavy or what ;; a little slow going up the passes with that set up;; regarding the engine brake was yours set up that way from factory? I think that sounds like its smoother that way
although I like to regulate my speed downhill by turning switch on/off etc and having to hit the brake each time may be a little aggravating
Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #55

I'm surprised using the engine break in rainy weather is a bad idea!!! I've spent way too much time in the mountains where a bright sunny day turns to rain in a hurry! I'd think with no engine break " Look Out Below"!

Are you actually saying an engine break is for dry road cruising only? Snow and ice I get that... But rainy roads?

FLORIDA ALLERT: No engine break - Too much rain - slippery when wet!!!

Your front end will whip around to the front? Hey have we entered Disney World? Oh... April Fools the day before Christmas... I get it!!!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
wow man are you heavy or what ;; a little slow going up the passes with that set up;; regarding the engine brake was yours set up that way from factory? I think that sounds like its smoother that way
although I like to regulate my speed downhill by turning switch on/off etc and having to hit the brake each time may be a little aggravating
Our coach comes in at 40,500 loaded and our enclosed trailer is near 12,000#. Our sons Mountain Aire with trailer is close to 60,000# Define slow going up the mountains. About 37 mph on the steepest part of I-70 west of Denver. a perfect speed to look at the scenery. I switch from low to high as needed when going down the other side using the brakes only when needed to maintain a safe speed. I have had the control modules reprogramed for several things I wanted different from factory settings, but I think the EB was programmed that way from factory. I had the previous two coaches programmed that way too.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine