Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our coach comes in at 40,500 loaded and our enclosed trailer is near 12,000#. Our sons Mountain Aire with trailer is close to 60,000# Define slow going up the mountains. About 37 mph on the steepest part of I-70 west of Denver. a perfect speed to look at the scenery. I switch from low to high as needed when going down the other side using the brakes only when needed to maintain a safe speed. I have had the control modules reprogramed for several things I wanted different from factory settings, but I think the EB was programmed that way from factory. I had the previous two coaches programmed that way too.

I like the setting u described except I like to just use the switch and the brake for going down hills BUT iam 15000lbs liter than your load
don't know I70 (grade) but even 37 is slow to me but to be expected
with the huge weight you have to overcome
now if u had a c12 or a isx u would be laughing
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I like the setting u described except I like to just use the switch and the brake for going down hills BUT iam 15000lbs liter than your load
don't know I70 (grade) but even 37 is slow to me but to be expected
with the huge weight you have to overcome
now if u had a c12 or a isx u would be laughing
My son has the 500hp Cummins with 1650# of torque, 400 more than my 450, and I gain on him going up to the 11,000' pass west of Denver. Most of the time we run 62 mph and can do so 95% of the time. I have never understood why it is so important to be able to go fast up a 7-10% grade in a motorhome.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #59

Quote:
My son has the 500hp Cummins with 1650# of torque, 400 more than my 450, and I gain on him going up to the 11,000' pass west of Denver. Most of the time we run 62 mph and can do so 95% of the time. I have never understood why it is so important to be able to go fast up a 7-10% grade in a motorhome.

yes but hes about 10000 lbs heavier and torgue is the ability to move a load ;;speed is engine rpm
if your son had your motor he would be in serious power trouble for sure
I personally and just my way of looking at things would never want a set up like yours with only the ISL set up
its not just hills ;its the ability to pass and the ability to get up to speed when merging onto highways etc etc
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #60

Quote:
yes but hes about 10000 lbs heavier and torgue is the ability to move a load ;;speed is engine rpm
if your son had your motor he would be in serious power trouble for sure
I personally and just my way of looking at things would never want a set up like yours with only the ISL set up
its not just hills ;its the ability to pass and the ability to get up to speed when merging onto highways etc etc
At 60-62 mph on the interstates most are passing me. If I need to pass on a two lane and there is not enough room, I just slow down. I just do not feel a need to get ahead or to lead the pack like I did when younger. I have never had a problem merging into traffic. If it takes me an extra hour to get to where I want to be, I'm ok with that. We get our 500 miles per day and enjoy the ride.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
At 60-62 mph on the interstates most are passing me. If I need to pass on a two lane and there is not enough room, I just slow down. I just do not feel a need to get ahead or to lead the pack like I did when younger. I have never had a problem merging into traffic. If it takes me an extra hour to get to where I want to be, I'm ok with that. We get our 500 miles per day and enjoy the ride.
I like that!! I spent many years trucking and it was always a thing to pass some guy on a hill. When passed you were looking for more power. It was an endless battle.
When I bought my 33000 lb. Imperial with an ISC 350, I was rather shocked at the performance on the uphill after some of the trucks I drove.
But Hey I realized I am now retired and am in no rush so relax and enjoy the ride. I now enjoy driving it and will wave at the guys flying by.
I usually see them a 1/2 hr. or so down the road stopped doing something and at the end of the day I may be an hr. behind. I now enjoy the ride.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #62

Quote:
Hmmmmm yes that would be good
thanks

last 2008 Berkshire I looked at had a 350 HP Cummins diesel engine, exhaust brake,
Ernest 2008 has the Mercedes Benz engine
Old 12-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Ernest 2008 has the Mercedes Benz engine
Interesting........some of those MB engines have both........Compression and exhaust brakes on them..........My Buddy's M2 Freightliner has a MB engine with both........
First time I had ever seen this or even heard of it.........
Something else to ponder in this thread..........
Old 12-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #64
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Interesting........some of those MB engines have both........Compression and exhaust brakes on them..........My Buddy's M2 Freightliner has a MB engine with both........
First time I had ever seen this or even heard of it.........
Something else to ponder in this thread..........
Okay, that makes more sense then pertaining to the OP's question. If he has an MBE 926(?) there is a proprietary engine braking system used that, from my understanding, combines an exhaust brake with built-in constant-throttle valve in the cylinder head. They work in conjunction with each other.

Here is a description from some MBE literature I have laying around in my files:

"Exhaust back pressure is used by the
exhaust brake to increase braking
performance. The constant-throttle
valves use the air that escapes through
them on the compression stroke to
provide braking force.

The constant-throttles valves are
small valves which are built into the
cylinder head and positioned opposite
the exhaust valve. When open, a link
is created between the combustion
chamber and the exhaust port.

When the engine brake is switched
on, the constant-throttle valves are put
under pressure, which in turn opens
the valves.

On the 6-cylinder model, the
constant-throttle valves are activated
by engine oil pressure. On 4-cylinder
engines, the constant-throttle valves
are activated by compressor air
pressure.

The engine brake is activated by the
DDEC-VCU and can be activated
only at engine speeds up to 2700 rpm.

Below 900 rpm, the engine brake
is always turned off to prevent the
engine from stalling. Also, the engine
brake is automatically turned off when
the accelerator pedal is pressed."
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #65

Forest River Owners Club
No stinking ol cummins for me... lol... I've got a Mercedes turbo in my coach and LOVE it !!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
No stinking ol cummins for me... lol... I've got a Mercedes turbo in my coach and LOVE it !!!!
Finally.........Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
Theroc....

My head hurts now....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Theroc....

My head hurts now....
In 3 pages and 64 post's........our head's were also hurting
It would of been simple in your first post if we had known what engine you have.
Suggest taking the time to add your info. in your profile........like most have. It really helps........when trying to help........with question's.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I've got a Mercedes turbo in my coach and LOVE it !!!!
Well now, ain't that special!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Theroc....

My head hurts now....
Ask a simple question and this is what you get! :-)

Tags
brake, engine