Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think if your standing on the brakes and the anti locks are kicking in, the engine brake will have no effect.
Agree. I asked this question at a seminar several years. The Freightliner rep and the Allison rep agreed that in a panic stop you should stand on the brakes, let the anti lock system do it's thing, and leave the engine brake alone.

Fred
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
No stinking ol cummins for me... lol... I've got a Mercedes turbo in my coach and LOVE it !!!!

ok you offered a picture of it?? so wheres the picture of the engine brake
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Agree. I asked this question at a seminar several years. The Freightliner rep and the Allison rep agreed that in a panic stop you should stand on the brakes, let the anti lock system do it's thing, and leave the engine brake alone.

Fred

These engine and exhaust brakes are really retarders. They serve the purpose of holding or reducing forward speed in situations where necessary without heating up the service brakes. When aggressive slowing or stopping power is needed, these brakes are not appropriate.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #74

Forest River Owners Club
Pale horse.....

My OP was simple - "how many people drive with engine brake on?" "Why/Why not?"

Was and still is a simple question requiring simple answers!!!!

Had nothing to do with engines, torque, scientific jargon, lengthy drawn-out answers, etc....

Just required - I do and why OR I don't and why....

It always amazes me how some tend to ALWAYS make things way more complicated than they really are !!!

Merry Christmas ....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Pale horse.....

Was and still is a simple question requiring simple answers!!!!

Had nothing to do with engines, torque, scientific jargon, lengthy drawn-out answers, etc....

Just required - I do and why OR I don't and why....

It always amazes me how some tend to ALWAYS make things way more complicated than they really are !!!

Merry Christmas ....
I agree, your first post was indeed simple.....and only required a short answer, which in the beginning you received just that. Then the folks posted reasons why and how they operated theirs.........problems, dislikes, performance of different type's and so on, that is where a "Discussion" on this thread took off, and the simple answers you were just looking for turned into a discussion per say...........this is very common when a thread is started on here or any other type of public forum as you well know, you posted a question to the world......
Sorry your thread did not stay simple for you and it took off in more of a discussion than you were looking for.
There was a lot of posts and a lot of information shared in your thread.............
I think you would have to agree, when a simple question like yours is asked on a public forum , usually a discussion on the subject occurs, with more answers/information you were looking for......
And I think we all learned about the MB diesel engine in your DP........something I have not heard of......up till now. I learned something through your thread.
What is the HP of your MB engine?
Merry Christmas and have a Happy new year.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Short & Simple

Quote:
Pale horse.....

No.

Unless I expect to, when I leave off the gas, to be braking right away. For example, in stop-and-go traffic.

PS I'd strongly suggest drivers practice finding the engine brake without having to look at it.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
Palehorse89....

Here's some info on my Mercedes engine you might find interesting:

Mercedes-Benz is a division of Daimler-Benz, as is Freightliner. The Mercedes engine first started appearing in the Freightliner RV chassis in the 2006 model year. These engines are serviced by Detroit Diesel, also a division of Daimler. The engine is the MBE 926. This engine is targeted at the Caterpillar C7 series market segment. At 7.2 liters, the MBE 926 is similar in displacement to the C7 but produces 1,000 ft-lbs of torque compared to 860 for the C7. The MBE 926 puts out 330 HP at 2,200 RPM, which is 20 HP less than the 350 HP Cat C7, but it comes in at a lower RPM and builds much faster than the Cat.

I've been 100% pleased with this engine - it's power, torque and mileage is really terrific especially since I have it mated with an Allison 3000 transmission....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Palehorse89....

Here's some info on my Mercedes engine you might find interesting:

Mercedes-Benz is a division of Daimler-Benz, as is Freightliner. The Mercedes engine first started appearing in the Freightliner RV chassis in the 2006 model year. These engines are serviced by Detroit Diesel, also a division of Daimler. The engine is the MBE 926. This engine is targeted at the Caterpillar C7 series market segment. At 7.2 liters, the MBE 926 is similar in displacement to the C7 but produces 1,000 ft-lbs of torque compared to 860 for the C7. The MBE 926 puts out 330 HP at 2,200 RPM, which is 20 HP less than the 350 HP Cat C7, but it comes in at a lower RPM and builds much faster than the Cat.

I've been 100% pleased with this engine - it's power, torque and mileage is really terrific especially since I have it mated with an Allison 3000 transmission....
Interesting indeed......Thank you
Surprised that they started in 2006...........I never had heard of this......
Old 12-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
No reason to turn it on except for downhill speed control or serious speed change like an interstate offramp that shows a 25 mph speed sign. It's a great tool in the mountains or hilly terrain.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
I engage the engine brake only when I need it (i.e., checking speed on long down hill stretches, when I need to slow down from high speeds). I want the ability to allow the coach to coast.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:13 AM   #81
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 08 400 ISL has a Variable Geometry/Ratio Turbo that works very well and is quiet. It cuts out below a certain speed so is easy to use in all traffic. Rarely do I turn it off.

The disadvantage is that my service brakes do not get a good work out and may have not automatically adjusted over time.

I believe my front brakes were not making proper contact during a long trip this summer.

Going down a steep hill at a slow pace of around 35-45 they began to fade. No noticeable smell from the front as in the past which alerted me to really stop and let them cool or take other actions.

The result was a coach that would not stop. The toad brakes were not helping because of a faulty charge line and the battery was dead that runs the brake.

As the coach slowed to a crawl I pulled over next to a ditch that would have supplied a full stop if needed. The forward motion would not stop and placing it in neutral helped a bit but it still moved. It was slow enough that I was able to place it in reverse and that did it.

Keeping some throttle on I was able to release the brakes to let them cool. Then smoke billowed out the rear on both sides. My passenger jumped into the drivers seat to hold the coach and I took the fire extinguisher out. Releasing the full force of the extinguisher blew the heavy smoke away and they began to cool down.

As part of my pre-flight check list now I press my brakes to the floor several times to get the slack adjuster to work.

Yes I have always inspected and greased them so it was not lack of maintenance.

I suspect the fronts just had not readjusted. I have removed the front wheels for bearing grease and made sure the brakes were properly adjusted.

I will continue to run with mine on all the time to answer your question.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #82

If your not using your service brakes, they don't wear. With no wear, no adjustment is needed.

DOT says if you need to adjust automatic adjusters, get them fixed.

I would get your MH to a brake shop for a complete inspection.

If the brakes don't hold, stopped, something is very wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #83

YC1, what does your turbo have to do with your brakes?

Why would you be dragging your brakes, even at 35-45mph? Is there a reason you weren't using your engine brake (whatever design you have) to control your speed?

Or did I miss something somewhere? -Al
Old 12-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #84

Ernest, what are you doing over here anyway? LOL

Tags
brake, engine