Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #99
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Folks, I have 40K miles on this and the engine brake works just fine.

I down shift manually of course.

My toad brakes were not working thus adding an additional 5K lbs to the load.

I have not removed the rear drums yet for inspection. I did inspect them from the inside of the wheels of course.

This was a very very steep hill going into Death Valley from the East. I will post any findings when I get to them.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #100

I know you're an experienced driver, was pretty surprised to read that you managed to smoke your brakes some how. Just trying to learn from your experience.

Looking back at that experience/in hindsight, would you slow further prior to descending next time?

I get how it might work, but was not aware they were using the turbo for engine braking. So I'm already up n that account alone!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Folks, I have 40K miles on this and the engine brake works just fine.

I down shift manually of course.

My toad brakes were not working thus adding an additional 5K lbs to the load.

I have not removed the rear drums yet for inspection. I did inspect them from the inside of the wheels of course.

This was a very very steep hill going into Death Valley from the East. I will post any findings when I get to them.
not working fine enough.I have come down some pretty pretty steep mountain passes and @ 55 mph and with engine brake on I never even use the service brakes so just don't understand how u could smoke yours at 35mph
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #102

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
YC1, what does your turbo have to do with your brakes?
Some Cummins engines use the turbo in conjunction with the compression brake to add to the braking effect. My ISX is that way and it gives me over 600 hp braking force when set on high. I have yet to find a downgrade that required that setting.
Here's a link to the Cummins 2007 EPA ISX page": https://cumminsengines.com/showcase-...+2007#overview

But I certainly don't agree with this statement:
Quote:
Ask any owner, and they'll tell you that ISX reliability is second to none. Every ISX is backed by the most extensive customer support network in the industry, with programs like Coach Care™ to meet your service needs as you travel across North America in your motorhome.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 AM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post

not working fine enough.I have come down some pretty pretty steep mountain passes and @ 55 mph and with engine brake on I never even use the service brakes so just don't understand how u could smoke yours at 35mph
Your engine brake at 55 mph is significantly more effective than ANY exhaust brake at the same speed including the Variable Geometry Turbochargers. See Link. Or even my upgraded PRXB Pacbrake Exhaust Brake.

Apples and Bananas

However, I personally would not want a coach with a VGT if it is ALSO used as a brake. They seem to work great in diesel pickups and small trucks but not so great in large heavy buses and RV's.

For use in buses and heavy RV's the VGT should be used in conjunction with an engine brake.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #104
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I know you're an experienced driver, was pretty surprised to read that you managed to smoke your brakes some how. Just trying to learn from your experience.

Looking back at that experience/in hindsight, would you slow further prior to descending next time?

I get how it might work, but was not aware they were using the turbo for engine braking. So I'm already up n that account alone!
Can't say I would do anything different. I have driven thousands of miles in 30+ years of owning RV's.. I had brakes go soft on a Class C and decided it was due to the wash board road working the brakes so hard that the fluid probably boiled.

Now I take it back. If I face that steep of a hill again I will crawl down it and stop in the road if I have too.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #105

Quote:
Can't say I would do anything different. I have driven thousands of miles in 30+ years of owning RV's.. I had brakes go soft on a Class C and decided it was due to the wash board road working the brakes so hard that the fluid probably boiled.

Now I take it back. If I face that steep of a hill again I will crawl down it and stop in the road if I have too.
Your probably correct about the fluid boiling. There are charts showing how the age of brake fluid effects moisture in it. They also show the drop in boiling point, as the percentage of water goes up.

DOT 3*fluids*have a minimum dry boiling point of 401F (205C) minimum and a minimum wet boiling point of 284F (140C). It will be clear to amber in color and be hygroscopic (absorbs*moisture). It will absorb 1% to 2% of*moisture content*per year, depending on climate and operating conditions.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #106

Quote:

Did you buy this coach new?
Reason I ask; the previous owner of ours apparently didn't know how to drive it. When we bought it the brakes wouldn't stop very well and would smoke if you were in town just coming off of a highway. If I applied the parking brake and stepped on the throttle it would hesitate and drive away. I pull all wheels and found cracked, glazed and hot spotted drums from abuse.
I replaced the rear 7" wide shoes with 8.62" wide shoes, deeper drums with Fire Apparatus lining, the front got new drums and the same size shoes it came with but with Fire Apparatus lining also. No more smoke and WOW does it stop now. Before if I didn't use the engine brake it got scary trying to stop.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #107
YC1

I am the original owner.

I would love to have more information on the changes you made. What parts and where do you get them for example.

The white smoke that poured out was so bad I popped a fire extinguisher under the axle for good measure.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #108

Quote:
I am the original owner.

I would love to have more information on the changes you made. What parts and where do you get them for example.

The white smoke that poured out was so bad I popped a fire extinguisher under the axle for good measure.

you have a very serious brake issue for sure and best get it looked at
even without a proper brake assist at 35 MPH there is no way the brakes should acted like you discribe
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #109

Forest River Owners Club
Good grief..... What happened to my poor OP ???? Talk about "chasing rabbits"..... WOW !!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #110
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Good grief..... What happened to my poor OP ???? Talk about "chasing rabbits"..... WOW !!!!
Yeah, sorry about that.

I sure didn't mean to derail it. Who drives with the brake on is a bit wide open and hopefully the reasons why and why not helped.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #111

Quote:
Yeah, sorry about that.

I sure didn't mean to derail it. Who drives with the brake on is a bit wide open and hopefully the reasons why and why not helped.
Feel free to PM me if you want. I pulled the shoes and drums (one side front and rear)and took them to a truck parts house. Told them my problem and asked for a higher GVWR shoe. They called the wider rear shoes "Mountain Brakes". I asked if they carried lining spec'd for Emergency Vehicles, they did. They matched it all up (mounting points...shoe webbing) and out the door I went, cost me under $1000.00, went home and installed all of it.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #112

Forest River Owners Club
OP wasn't really "wide open".... Was simple and straight forward - drive with/without engine brake; why/why not.... Calls for simple answers - no chasing rabbits or going off on tangents necessary...

Now takes me three times as long to find those that actually stuck to the original topic...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine