Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Opinions: who drives with their engine brake on all the time and why???
just read your MH profile? I do not believe you even have a engine brake in your MH??
R U sure you do?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #30

Does the Cummins 360 HP ISB have a jake break? I did a search and got all kinds of information but nothing on the Jake break?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Does the Cummins 360 HP ISB have a jake break? I did a search and got all kinds of information but nothing on the Jake break?
It has an exhaust brake.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Everyone uses theirs differently, but here are some reasons how and why I use mine. I have a two speed engine brake and leave mine on LOW the majority of the time. I guess everyone drives differently, but the majority of my RV driving is on the freeway. When I'm on the freeway, the engine brake is on, along with the cruise control. Not all coaches will allow this, but mine does. The REASON for having it on is for emergency stopping. If something happens at freeway speeds, I don't want to worry about making emergency maneuvers and turning the engine brake on. Just the half second or more before you turn the brake on, could be the difference in stopping distance to prevent a crash.

Typically, if there is traffic, below 15 mph, engine and exhaust brakes shut off automatically and will not engage, so not an issue, leave it on.

For those with exhaust brakes, they are probably having to manipulate the braking on grades because most exhaust brakes won't hold a perfect speed, so many may be turning theirs on and off. On mine, the engine brake is tied into the cruise control. Once I start descending a grade, my engine brake turns on and off automatically. I do very little "driving" on grades as compared to when I had an exhaust brake on my previous coach.

When driving around town, the exhaust and engine brake should be turned off for two reasons. First, it can cause herky jerky braking and second, you should be using your foot brakes to keep from glazing the brakes on your coach. Many are so worried about saving the brakes, they use their exhaust or engine brakes to excess. You're not going to wear out your coach brakes.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Out of curiosity, with the jake/exhaust break on. would you stop more quickly in a "panic stop" situation?
I think if your standing on the brakes and the anti locks are kicking in, the engine brake will have no effect.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #34

Absolutely nothing to back me up (other than my butt dyno), but I think the more heavily loaded you are, the more effective the engine brake might be in a panic stop scenario.

That said, I've never heard so much as a squawk coming from any of my tires when that's happened to me. So either I haven't found it necessary to get on the brakes that hard/stop that quick, or the brakes aren't capable of locking the tires. In the case of the brakes incapable of locking the tires, I have to believe the engine brake is helping to slow the coach quicker. That's me though, all opinion.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster -
Only when I need it, kinda hard to coast with it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
exactly and having the trans downshift/upshift every time your on off the gas is very very annoying
X2...... Bottom line, use it only when you want it to help you slow down. Period! Unless you're the kind of driver that always has his foot on the accelerator or on the brake, you probably won't like it in town. Coast is my favorite gear too!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Absolutely nothing to back me up (other than my butt dyno), but I think the more heavily loaded you are, the more effective the engine brake might be in a panic stop scenario.

That said, I've never heard so much as a squawk coming from any of my tires when that's happened to me. So either I haven't found it necessary to get on the brakes that hard/stop that quick, or the brakes aren't capable of locking the tires. In the case of the brakes incapable of locking the tires, I have to believe the engine brake is helping to slow the coach quicker. That's me though, all opinion.
Don't think a heavier load will affect engine brake performance but higher RPMs will.

In that panic stop, if the trans isn't downshifting rapid fire, to keep the RPMs up, your brakes are doing all of the stopping.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #37

All else being equal, the heavier the load, the more work your brakes need to get done to stop in the distance you have in front of you.

At some point, the braking capacity will be exceeded. If the brakes haven't locked up at that point, the engine brake will make a difference....
Old 12-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
It all depends on the engine brake.
Pac Brake/Exhaust Brake Better in 4th or lower
Jake Brake works 5th or better, but works better then Exhaust brake in 6th gear.

Exhaust Brake can be set for Latch or Unlatch mode. Makes for easier driving.
Jake Brake CANNOT be in latch of Unlatch mode to my knowledge.

Call your respected engine MFG and Talk to them.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Jake Brake works 5th or better, but works better then Exhaust brake in 6th gear.

not sure what your getting at? A engine brake is a engine brake and exhaust brake is a exhaust brake ;; both designed to assist the air brakes for slowing and stopping but entirely different in design and nature
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #40

Click image for larger version

Name:	1482542766304.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	147335Click image for larger version

Name:	1482542766304.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	147335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post

This is from the Jake engine brake operaton manual.

The lower the gear and higher the RPM the better it works.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Wyofree, I agree with dan-nickie. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority, if not all, of the Cummins ISBs used in motorhomes will come with an exhaust brake or what Cummins calls a "Cummins E Brake." It was developed in a joint venture between Cummins and Jacobs Vehicle Systems.

The reason you may be getting confused or think you're getting conflicting information is that Jacobs also makes an exhaust brake in addition to their engine compression brake (referred to as a Jake Brake ...or true Jake Brake). Therefore, many who have an exhaust brake may mistakenly think they have a true "Jake Brake" because they misinterpreted the fact that they have a Jacobs Exhaust Brake and believe it's a true "Jake Brake because they noticed the "Jacobs" description.

Jacobs Exhaust Brake for Cummins Medium Duty Engines

Optional ISB Engine Brake

Somebody can correct me as I'm just guessing on this but most Cummins engines come with a standard exhaust brake (Cummins E Brake). A compression brake (or Jake) is an option on the ISB, ISC, ISL, and, I believe standard on the ISX.

Like I say, I believe that most motorhome manufacturers that order their chassis with an ISB will not pay the extra for the Jake Brake option so just about all the motorhomes with an ISB will have a factory exhaust brake ...again, those more in the know please feel free to correct me.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Wyofree, I agree with dan-nickie. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority, if not all, of the Cummins ISBs used in motorhomes will come with an exhaust brake or what Cummins calls a "Cummins E Brake." It was developed in a joint venture between Cummins and Jacobs Vehicle Systems.

The reason you may be getting confused or think you're getting conflicting information is that Jacobs also makes an exhaust brake in addition to their engine compression brake (referred to as a Jake Brake ...or true Jake Brake). Therefore, many who have an exhaust brake may mistakenly think they have a true "Jake Brake" because they misinterpreted the fact that they have a Jacobs Exhaust Brake and believe it's a true "Jake Brake because they noticed the "Jacobs" description.

Jacobs Exhaust Brake for Cummins Medium Duty Engines

Optional ISB Engine Brake

Somebody can correct me as I'm just guessing on this but most Cummins engines come with a standard exhaust brake (Cummins E Brake). A compression brake (or Jake) is an option on the ISB, ISC, ISL, and, I believe standard on the ISX.

Like I say, I believe that most motorhome manufacturers that order their chassis with an ISB will not pay the extra for the Jake Brake option so just about all the motorhomes with an ISB will have a factory exhaust brake ...again, those more in the know please feel free to correct me.

In the motorhome market, I don't believe you will find a compression brake (aka true Jake) in an ISB or ISC. The ISL is available both ways depending on the year of production. An ISX will always have a compression brake.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine