Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Driving with engine brake on

Opinions: who drives with their engine brake on all the time and why???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Opinions: who drives with their engine brake on all the time and why???
personally I hate driving with it on. when I leave mine on, even on stage one its really jerky when re accelerating at lower speeds;; I like to turn it on when needed and off when not ;;also don't like the auto downshift etc
every time you take your foot off the accelerator
when mine is left on and go to accelerate at low and medium speeds its real jerky when getting back up to speed
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

I'll use mine on the Hills.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We talked a lot about this at our dealership. Almost all the drivers and others drove in town with the brake on and on the highway with it off. Always on going downhill in the mountains.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

J Brake usage

I love it but only use it down steep hills and freeway exits then I tun it off after coasting to speed I want prior to stopping. Keep in mind driving around with the J brake on also create NOISE when off the accelerator and is illegal is some areas. The correct usage of the J brake will also reduce wear on those expensive brake shoes too
Old 12-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I drive a lot of mountain passes, so it's almost always on for me. Generally have it on while driving in town, as well.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
I love it but only use it down steep hills and freeway exits then I tun it off after coasting to speed I want prior to stopping. Keep in mind driving around with the J brake on also create NOISE when off the accelerator and is illegal is some areas. The correct usage of the J brake will also reduce wear on those expensive brake shoes too
the engine brake on my 425ISL is not noisy at all there not like the big highway rigs
Old 12-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

I have the 400ISL, no noise. Use it in town and down hill on steep grades. I do not leave it on all the time. Coast (in gear) is my favorite gear.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Only when I need it, kinda hard to coast with it on.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Always on, love it. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Only when I need it, kinda hard to coast with it on.
exactly and having the trans downshift/upshift every time your on off the gas is very very annoying
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

We have a 3 stage engine brake and drive with stage one on. I only plan on turning it off if roads are slick. Stage 2 for us gets a bit jerky but really slows the coach a lot more and have used it on grades or to simply slow faster. Not used the 3rd stage yet.

Tom
Old 12-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there never a need for a Jack Brake at speed below 35 while in town or on rural roads. Out on the highway yes, mountain downgrades for sure. I drove truck fir 20+ years and never used it in town/village/city driving.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
exactly and having the trans downshift/upshift every time your on off the gas is very very annoying
Agreed, Years back I had my Allison re-programed to stay in 6th gear at closed throttle position. I "Feather" the pedal when the engine brake is not needed. Works very well with the cruise control set up this way.........engine brake kicks in 2-3 MPH over set point, and kicks off 2-3 MPH under set point, with no downshifting. The Allison still has its factory speed/RPM downshift points. If needed, I don't mind interacting and using the gear selector pad, if more braking is needed from the engine brake. I just could not stand the Factory default auto downshift at closed throttle position. It has been a real joy to drive since the re-program........using the cruise control did not work well at all before the change as the auto downshift happened and alls it did is cycle , harsh downshift, up shift, harsh downshift, up shift.........now, ,while using the cruise.........smooth.
My engine brake rocker switch is never turned off..........

Tags
brake, engine