Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #43

[QUOTE=Winemaker2;3853501
If you are concerned about the cost of a replacement headlight you have no business owning a MH but some folks just need an excuse to resist common sense.
Sorry....just my opinion[/QUOTE]

You could not have said it better "ditto"!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #44

I will turn my headlights on in bad weather day or night. I have gone to enter a road, it's twilight, I start to enter the road and, oops, here comes a dark car with no lights, hit the brake. In this state I believe I remember that headlights on one half hour befor sunSet and off one half hour after sunrise. One needs to be SEEN. When I drove truck and it was raining, and with all the spray flying around the truck, you could NOT see any vehicle unless they had their lights on, until they were so close that if you needed to change lanes in a hurry it would be bad news for all, CRAP happens. Why not just turn them on, I'll appreciate it, Thank You
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
AAA has a list of where headlights are required when wipers are in use or visibility low. So if you disabled the DRLs you’d be illegal in the following areas/conditions:
Headlight Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
DRLs do NOT meet the requirements of most states that require "Headlights On When Wipers Required". DRLs only have the front headlights on at a reduced power and do not include the taillights. If your vehicle does not automatically turn the light circuit on with the wipers, you must manually turn them on. It is critical for the taillights to be on to help prevent rear end collisions during poor visibility conditions.

That said, I used to ride motorcycles with the headlight on and did not have any close calls, then over the years, DRLs seemed to affect the visibility of motorcycles and I had to many close calls and finally gave up riding. It might not be fair to blame the DRLs, it might be all of the other distractions in vehicles today...............
Eagle2mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #47

My first reaction is it is just another useless gimmick. However after noticing that folks are a lot more visible in the twilight times I would say I am for them. With all of that said, sometimes I want to run the main engine without the lights on, so I installed a cutout replay (rated at an overkill of 60 amps) that is activated by a driver's switch. The system "fails" to normal operation. Laws vary from state to state, so I personally don't know of any legal requirement in the U.S.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I know of 4 motorcycle riders killed last year in this area who had lights on and it was daylight ... They were hit and ran over or pulled in front of ..... Damn DRLs get these SOBs off the road that can't drive or don't give a damn about other peoples life's ! I've stopped riding MC but I had people look me in the eye then pull in front of me !!! If you ride a motorcycle ride it like not a sob on the road can see you and take actions to save your own azz !!
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #49

As far as I know no state requires DRLs. If someone knows otherwise I'd like to see the law. It's my understanding they are required in Canada but I don't drive there
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #50

My Wrangler has no DRLs. Not required!
Stealth mode[emoji6]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #51

If this helps in Venezuela and Egypt they rarely use headlights, they say “it wastes power” even in the dark. So.... be like them!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
If this helps in Venezuela and Egypt they rarely use headlights, they say “it wastes power” even in the dark. So.... be like them!
makes sense to me;

Bring on the auto driving vehicles .... there are SOOOOOOO many poor drivers maybe the terminator can do better.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
I know of 4 motorcycle riders killed last year in this area who had lights on and it was daylight ... They were hit and ran over or pulled in front of ..... Damn DRLs get these SOBs off the road that can't drive or don't give a damn about other peoples life's ! I've stopped riding MC but I had people look me in the eye then pull in front of me !!! If you ride a motorcycle ride it like not a sob on the road can see you and take actions to save your own azz !!
for years I've said put all new drivers on a MC and within 30 days those that survive will learn defensive driving

I am convinced that grey and black cars have circuitry that do NOT allow headlights on in the rain or at dusk
Old 10-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe there is a Canadian law.. not sure what it says since I can no longer go to Canada since 2001 (No passport).

But in the US the applicable law or laws are the ones that say, basiclly (Phrased in Bibical language) "Thou shall not disable or remove safety features"

DRL's are a safety feature.. I have observed this in driving.. Often back when they were not all that common (only GM's had 'em) I could see a GM car approaching when I was waiting to turn off a side road onto the main road and NOT see the FORD in front of it.

I installed DRL's on my car back then.. Today I have them factory.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #55

And Wranglers don't have them. ??
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #56