Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Drove 2 Liquid Springs RVs today at the Hershey RV show

I've always wanted to try out the Liquid Springs on a F53 chassis. I walked up to the Liquid Springs tent today at the Hershey RV show and asked if I could go for a ride in one of their RVs with their Liquid Springs. Not only did they say yes, but they said I could drive their Tiffin Open Road with just the rear Liquid Spring system, then immediately afterwards drive their Fleetwood Southwind with the front AND rear Liquid Spring system so I could compare the two. Bonus the Southwind had the new V8 chassis, so I got to check that out too.

I have zero relationship with Liquid Springs. My frame of comparison is as an owner of a F53 chassis a few years back and then a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion with a Freightliner XCS chassis more recently.

I drove the Liquid Springs system in "comfort" mode. What a HUGE difference in ride quality with the Liquid Springs in my opinion. The front and the rear set-up was the best, but honestly if one could only afford the rear set-up that would be an extremely large improvement over the typical F53 chassis leaf spring chassis. I drove it through some pretty rough grass at a nearby field and also drove it on the road which had some sections under construction with occasional uneven road joints.

Liquid Springs really softened what should have been a rough ride through that field. A sharp turn in the field caused a little lean, but the RV returned to "upright" without going through the sways you expect with the leaf spring system. The sway bars I'm sure helped too (they keep them on I was told by the salesman) but still a much more competent stance when turning sharply. Driving on the roads over uneven road surfaces, the system tremendously smooths out the bumps and uneven road joints. I dare say the ride was better than the air ride system on my Excursion's Freightliner chassis.

I think this system would be great for someone who is primarily buying a diesel pusher for the softer air ride (like I did). Yeah, it's $14K-ish for the rear and $7K-ish for the front, but if you can buy a F53 chassis now instead of a DP because you can't stand the F53 ride quality, you're money ahead considering the higher initial cost of a diesel chassis and the associated higher ongoing maintenance costs.

Anyway, that's my two cents. As an aside, I also have to say that these new Fleetwood and Tiffin gas rigs have come a long way since my 2013 Fleetwood Storm. The generators on both were so much quieter. The cockpit area in both was also quieter as well, as long as the V8 wasn't revving too much (like when I floored it). The cockpit is modern and more car-like. There was a lot less wind noise at higher speeds and I could easily have a conversation with the guy sitting in the co-pilot seat.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

21K front and rear wow! that's a bit of coin.
I hope that includes installation .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Actually it might be a little more than that now that I think about it. Depends on the installer, too.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drove 2 Liquid Springs RVs today at the Hershey RV show

Thanks for sharing about you test rides.

Endless RVing just did a 6 month review of their 4 corner install. Bottom line is they still love it.

https://youtu.be/YMXOvTObSFk
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The feedback so far being reported is great, especialy the comparison to a DP. I almost ordered a new Southwind with liquid springs, but backed out, I didn't want to wait 6 or 7 months. Now giving install on new purchase serious thought.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be curious about what the tire pressure was set to on the demo RV's you drove.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I hope that includes installation .
I think from watching Endless RVing's video, that is the installed price. I also believe it's a little bit cheaper if you order it before the coach is built due to easier install for the factory. Still a pretty big price but it makes a HUGE difference in how the coach rides and drives. They claim nothing else comes close.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, the discount from the factory will reduce the cost by your discount (usually in the 25% range) and, if financing, will be included in your loan.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #9

My take is that if you are going to spend to spend that much to get close to the air suspension ride, why not just go ahead and buy an equivalent length DP? I currently have a 32SA that I spent a lot of monetary for suspension upgrades and am now looking to buy a DP just because the ride is not the same. Just my opinion.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
My take is that if you are going to spend to spend that much to get close to the air suspension ride, why not just go ahead and buy an equivalent length DP? I currently have a 32SA that I spent a lot of monetary for suspension upgrades and am now looking to buy a DP just because the ride is not the same. Just my opinion.
I think that is the exact reason WHY I'd go with Liquid Springs IMHO. You already have a really nice Tiffin. For say $25K you can get a complete air suspension ride without going through the trouble (and possible financial loss) of selling your rig and then buying a replacement diesel pusher. Plus, that diesel pusher is going to have higher initial purchase costs and higher maintenance costs than your 32SA. Having owned a F53 chassis then a Freightliner XCS chassis 4 weeks later, the F53 was way cheaper to operate than the Freightliner.......and easier to find willing shops willing to work on it. Further, since I did most of my own maintenance, it was much easier to work on the F53.

Liquid Springs' test rig is a Tiffin Open Road, but the model that is a few feet longer than yours. On that one, they just used the rear suspension upgrade and as I mentioned above, it's a NICE ride. You should try it!

Anyway, good luck with your new rig if you go down that path!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The fleetwood option price for liquid springs is $ 28,000, so with discount your at about the same cost of aftermarket install. Just paid $152,000 add $20 and I'm at $ 172,000, don't know of any DP within this price range other than used. $ 172,000 doesn't put you anywhere close to a new DP. Also some are saying that the liquid springs actually rides and handles better than many DP. So in my opinion it can make sense to do this.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
I think that is the exact reason WHY I'd go with Liquid Springs IMHO. You already have a really nice Tiffin. For say $25K you can get a complete air suspension ride without going through the trouble (and possible financial loss) of selling your rig and then buying a replacement diesel pusher. Plus, that diesel pusher is going to have higher initial purchase costs and higher maintenance costs than your 32SA. Having owned a F53 chassis then a Freightliner XCS chassis 4 weeks later, the F53 was way cheaper to operate than the Freightliner.......and easier to find willing shops willing to work on it. Further, since I did most of my own maintenance, it was much easier to work on the F53.

Liquid Springs' test rig is a Tiffin Open Road, but the model that is a few feet longer than yours. On that one, they just used the rear suspension upgrade and as I mentioned above, it's a NICE ride. You should try it!

People have been pretty pleased with the LS add ones, from all I have read. For our situation, the DP makes more sense as we spend all our time in the mountain states and live in the PNW. Based on our recent 7 state trip, LS would not resolve all our issues with the gasser even after spending $8K at Hendersonís lineup for full suspension upgrades. We put a deposit down yesterday for a Tiffin DP.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post

People have been pretty pleased with the LS add ones, from all I have read. For our situation, the DP makes more sense as we spend all our time in the mountain states and live in the PNW. Based on our recent 7 state trip, LS would not resolve all our issues with the gasser even after spending $8K at Hendersonís lineup for full suspension upgrades.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We put a deposit down yesterday for a Tiffin DP.
Congrats! You'll have no problem selling your current rig in this market!

Tags
rvs