Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Drum Brakes Question

Bought a 98' Holiday Rambler 37' Endeavor DP and after being out for a little over 3 months find that when first starting up to pull out of a camp ground that at a slow speed of say 5 mph the brakes make a lot of squeaking/not grinding noise that disappears once I get up to a higher speed and use the brakes. I can drive for hours with no brake noise and then back down to lower 5mph with no squeaking. So it's only after sitting for a couple days and only at low start up speed.
Thanks in advance for all responses.
Jim
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Probably just some rust or maybe brake pad dust caked around the parts while sitting. Moisture cause it while sitting, but a few minutes of driving heats the wheel up to drive away moisture and also breaks loose on build-up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two Theories:
1: The drums are rusting and you are hearing the rust being worn off by the shoes.

2: Now my motor home the "parking brake" is a single drum on the transmission tail shaft. it is operated by a cable, nto levers. Most parking brakes on Gassers are like this (Air brakes are all levers and air motors and hoses and valves, and springs, they work differently)

Well, on the cables, they can rust up and bind, Thus they may not fully release. Common on cars in northern (Salted) lands. This is, in fact, my one warning about Surge Brake systems for towed cars.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

X2 on Gary's thoughts above. Ours will do the same after a few months of non use. I think the braking surfaces inside the drums are collecting surface rust and you're hearing that getting ground off in the first few stops. For that reason, I'm pretty careful to make a couple stops prior to entering a highway to make sure everything is OK. First stop in reverse can be a little nerve wracking in ours too, if you aren't expecting the noisy heavy vibration/chattering caused by that same rust.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
X2 on Gary's thoughts above. Ours will do the same after a few months of non use. I think the braking surfaces inside the drums are collecting surface rust and you're hearing that getting ground off in the first few stops. For that reason, I'm pretty careful to make a couple stops prior to entering a highway to make sure everything is OK. First stop in reverse can be a little nerve wracking in ours too, if you aren't expecting the noisy heavy vibration/chattering caused by that same rust.
X3 here. Have no answer for it but it hasn't effected my braking.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
While it is annoying is normal. Sometimes after driving in wet conditions and then parking for a long period the shoes will actually rust onto the drum. I will take a fairly harsh rocking motion to break them loose. Again annoying!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

I believe it is moisture in the brake shoes. Our Holiday Rambler on Freightliner chassis (2000 model) would do that after sitting just a few days in a humid climate. Going 2 blocks with the brake lightly applied would cure it for the day.

Fred

Tags
brake, brakes