Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow poor op. not one reply was helpful to this newbie. What you need to do is go over your settings on the inverter charger, especially the LBCO (low battery cut off) I would expect that it is set too low, and it allowed the batteries to be drawn too far down. Additionally, you need to manage your running load on the inverter. TVs, and sat boxes are notorious power hogs. Look at your inverter display, and see what your running load is with the genny off. You can then use the display to isolate load. Another thing to look for is if you leave a coffee maker on, they will draw you down fast. Last if it exceptionally cold, the furnace fans are a big draw. I would suspect that if it is a late model coach with a residential refer, it should easily make it through the night. One other thing, you may want to check your batteries. You could have a bad one in the bunch. Good luck.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #16

.......Rv fridges--recalls and replacements--hope your fire insurance policy is up todate..
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Wow poor op. not one reply was helpful to this newbie. What you need to do is go over your settings on the inverter charger, especially the LBCO (low battery cut off) I would expect that it is set too low, and it allowed the batteries to be drawn too far down. Additionally, you need to manage your running load on the inverter. TVs, and sat boxes are notorious power hogs. Look at your inverter display, and see what your running load is with the genny off. You can then use the display to isolate load. Another thing to look for is if you leave a coffee maker on, they will draw you down fast. Last if it exceptionally cold, the furnace fans are a big draw. I would suspect that if it is a late model coach with a residential refer, it should easily make it through the night. One other thing, you may want to check your batteries. You could have a bad one in the bunch. Good luck.

I was going to say the same thing,
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
I was going to say the same thing, but everytime I sound off Cliff the MOHO forum cop wants to put me in jail. Dont you just love some of these point less replys.
To which we must include this one.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
I am guessing by the unit being classed as residential that it does not not have an option to switch over to propane mode? I know that mine has an auto function that will switch between propane and AC depending on wether the MH is connected to shore power or not.

Martin
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
I am guessing by the unit being classed as residential that it does not not have an option to switch over to propane mode? I know that mine has an auto function that will switch between propane and AC depending on wether the MH is connected to shore power or not.

Martin
You are correct. The thread is referring to a residential refrigerator, same as in most homes. Electric only.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #21

Dry Camping

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I know it is possible to have problems with a new unit (which I have a few) the coach has four batteries and two for the chassis. I did not run the heater that night and pretty sure everything else was turned off. My coach has the AGS system, I just need to learn how to set it up. I have to take the coach in for a couple of issues in a week or two I will have it checked out. In the mean time I will take a VOM and check each bat and make sure they are serviced properly. Thanks Again. Dan
DWMOONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on you new motorhome. Lots of things to learn.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.......Rv fridges--recalls and replacements--hope your fire insurance policy is up todate..
You may not agree but IMO not everything "newer" is "better"!
My Norcold was built long before the ones with FIRE problems and recalls.
I wonder what will still be working in 16-17 years on the new coaches of today?
Everything on my '96 Safari IS..... (including the Norcold)!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Perfect answer, IMO
Where were you for the 8 hours all of us where NOT helping?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #25

Dry Camping

Sorry, the generator had been on for at least four hours before shut down.
DWMOONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Perfect answer, IMO
Where were you for the 8 hours all of us where NOT helping?
Driving
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
What size are those 4 house batteries (I.e how many amp hours)?

If I assume you have 400 amp hours or so (just guessing here) then that should be sufficient to run a residential fridge overnight without anything else big on. Given you ran the generator for 4 hours beforehand (which should be long enough to fully charge the batteries) I'm thinking either your charger is not charging those batteries properly (perhaps it has an incorrect charging profile?) or one/several of your batteries may be fried.

I would start by looking at your batteries first. Get a volt meter and check your batteries right after charging and a few hours later to see if they're getting fully charged and holding that charge. Then check the charging profile on your charger to see if it matches the battery specs (I.e. what the battery manufacturer recommends). Sometimes chargers are set-up with generic profiles that may not be what the batteries actually need (this happened to us and took us most of our 1st year to figure out why our batteries never seemed to fully charge on the generator)

Hope that helps
Nina
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Great information! I love it when you post Nina, because then the link to you and your husband's blog is there. Just enjoy reading about your boon docking adventures.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping