Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #43

How many incandescent, fluorescent bulbs and Halogen lights were used before lights out? Was the TV and other items used? Or did I not catch that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Is a residential refrig the same as a house frige? Doesn't it have a compressor? In a house, a frige has its own 20 amp circuit. The start up of the compressor is a huge draw. Around 12 to 15 amps at 110v. The draw after compressor startup at 110v is about 7 amps after start up. All depending how often and how long you open the doors for, will dictate how much it comes on. I can see the fridge easily depleting the batteries if it turns on too often. You also may want to check the temperature settings on the frige.
When I was considering installing a residential fridge, I had the same misgivings. Once installed, I used a Kill-A-Watt meter in the receptacle to find out exactly how much current the new fridge was actually using. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that although the circuit was 20 amp, the fridge compressor only drew 1.43 amps during start up, and .76 amps after start up. I was very pleased to note that with the doors closed, the total amperage draw for an entire night was 1.46 amps. I then realized that making it through the night would not be a concern, even when figuring out the actual current draw from the batteries with the fridge running off the inverter.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Hi
That just doesn't sound right or possible. I think your decimal point is off by one. Should be 14.3 amps on start up and running at 7.6 amps. That's why they require a 20 amp circuit. That could easily kill house batteries if it went on too often.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 22.6 CuFt Frigidaire that was installed by Monaco. One Spec sheet states 8.5 amps required and another shows 1 to 1.4 running. Actual observation on the amp meter fluctuates between 1 and 2 amps. So the low amperage draws are true.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
That is a low draw for a compressor. I didn't know they made such low amperage units. I don't understand why the two different specs. But if you measured it with an amp meter then I stand corrected.
Rick
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I don't understand why there are two specifications. But if you measured the amps with an amp meter, and that's what you got. Then I stand corrected. Not sure how they do that with a compressor.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I don't understand why there are two specifications. But if you measured the amps with an amp meter, and that's what you got. Then I stand corrected. Not sure how they do that with a compressor.
There is more load starting than running.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Wow poor op. not one reply was helpful to this newbie. What you need to do is go over your settings on the inverter charger, especially the LBCO (low battery cut off) I would expect that it is set too low, and it allowed the batteries to be drawn too far down. Additionally, you need to manage your running load on the inverter. TVs, and sat boxes are notorious power hogs. Look at your inverter display, and see what your running load is with the genny off. You can then use the display to isolate load. Another thing to look for is if you leave a coffee maker on, they will draw you down fast. Last if it exceptionally cold, the furnace fans are a big draw. I would suspect that if it is a late model coach with a residential refer, it should easily make it through the night. One other thing, you may want to check your batteries. You could have a bad one in the bunch. Good luck.

The low battery cut off is very handy. I found the owners manual online based on my model number. Lots of good info there.

There is also a factory default setting of all of its parameters (charge voltage, etc)

Let us know what you learn.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
One of the best things I purchased for my MH is this battery monitor. Cost about $200 with the shunt and wiring. It will continually tell you the state of charge of your batteries. You watch the current draw of any appliance you turn on. It will tell you how much "juice" is going in the battery too. It is nice to know your DC system is working properly. Highly recommend it.

Bogart Engineering TM-2025-RV - TriMetric 2025 12/24/48 Volt Battery System Monitor - RV Version

Can it be set up to monitor both house and chassis banks?

Is yours set up that way? Did you install it yourself?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedmonnett View Post
When I have the inverter on for extended periods, I unplug the MW. Mine draws about 6 Amps from the battery side. Over nite, that could be close to 50 Amp Hours of wasted energy. The TV, even off has a small amount of power draw as well.. Some one needs to invent moon panels for the night time.

Dwayne

What is meant by 'MW' ?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Here is some helpful info on batteries and power management...

RVcruzer.com - Breaker Panel and EMS System Installation
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #54

Yes it can monitor voltage only on a second battery, like your chassis battery. Works excellent! I have been watching mine for 3 days now like a new toy.
Gilleshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
What is meant by 'MW' ?

Thanks
Microwave. Some either cant spell it or are to lazy to do so.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping