Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The materials can be purchased separately for a lot less money, I think I had spent ~$100 for materials and guide block at the time. I did 3 windows for this and still had some of the seal left over.

If you are not comfortable with hire a professional. If you want to save some $$$$ then buy enough to do one window, test the waters, and then proceed which ever direction you choose.

If I had to pay for every repair I've done myself I could not afford to own my coach. At some point in time it may get to a point I'm physically not capable of doing the repairs and will have to reevaluate ownership.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
These guys are great: https://www.autoglassboss.com/ Fast cheap and good.
We had auto glass boss come to our site in Bradenton in December. Remove blind (tough) removed inner frame with slider sash and stationary. Seperated inner glass that was cracked. Cut new piece and built Therm pane. Reassembled and cleaned. 250.00. 2 guys 2 hours. Bargain
They do foggy. Same process. Great job.
One neat trick was cleaner,steel wool, cleaner, microfiber towel last. Then propane torch lightly over both inner glass surfaces before sanwiching together. Torch eliminated any lint and moisture. That's fussy.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote: ". . . Then propane torch lightly over both inner glass surfaces before sanwiching together. Torch eliminated any lint and moisture. That's fussy."

Wish I'd known about the propane torch trick. I pretty much had a good method for getting the glass completely clean before sealing it up. Even so, on the last window I did, a single hair from our cat made it between the panes. When the sun hit the glass, there it was dead center. I took the side of my fist and lightly pounded on the glass and it slowly fell to the bottom. That hair will be there long after the cat is dead and gone.

For anyone thinking of doing this themselves, here's what I used. I purchased it through Amazon. You'll need to measure the thickness of your exiting spacer which can be done without removing the glass.

Spacer material: CRL Super Spacer®

And this is the sealer: https://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...8&ModelID=3451

And here's the guide for applying the sealant.

https://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...2&ModelID=3538

Note: The spacer material is vacuum packed a
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #18

We have auto glass boss coming to us at the end of the month. Here in Phoenix
14 windows 1,200 bucks 1 day to complete
I think my time is worth that. Plus all the training I will receive observing
If we only had a couple windows I most likely would have purchased material to self repair.
But heck all of them in one day why not?)
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #19

window repair

Best video i've found. Personally I'm waiting on materials to arrive for my first attempt. Much cheaper than Newmars window only quote of $1200.

ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #20

[QUOTE=ka5gyo;5590649]Best video i've found. Personally I'm waiting on materials to arrive for my first attempt. Much cheaper than Newmars window only quote of $1200.

1,200 for one window? Wow!
I'd be taking my time to learn as well

What RV, year and type of windows do you have?

greg
Old 01-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #21

Driver side front window. Three sections. Can’t see my mirror.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My drivers side window is what forced me to look at fixing myself. Got to where I couldn't see out the sliding window to check for oncoming traffic. Hardest part was taking the window out by myself. I rigged up bungee cords to hold it place while I removed.

If you have help is wouldn't be bad.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #23

Yes that makes sense.
First glass we had replaced was drivers side and small window next to passenger. had it all replaced with single pane laminate, not going to fog up.

We have been living with the fogged sides for a while, put the money into drive train and such.

Reason to repair sides is the windows are special silver color that is not a available anymore.

Defiantly get some help to secure that glass

Stay safe,
greg
Old 01-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #24

Dual Pane window repair.

Update: I did the three drivers side windows that were fogged so bad I couldn't see the mirror. New windows were $1200 from Newmar. I followed the instructions in the video, and they turned out great. I had material left over so I did the passenger side windows also. 5 windows total. NEW Coach !
I'll add, I had to use ( oooo Steel wool) to remove some etching on the worst windows. I also contacted CR Laurence to ask about using Argon gas. Was told by engineering it was not necessary. Cost was under $200 and a lot of work. I can see again !
Old 01-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #25

Nice work and a lot safer to drive now
How much time did it take? I imagine each one got a little faster
greg
Old 01-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #26

It took about 5 days. Got the wife to help line up the panes of glass and pump the sealant. We had a norther, and the humidity dropped from about 90% to 35%. I wanted to get the glass together in low humidity. I might add that an electric caulk gun is a must. After the first window, the $50 caulk gun was a must have. The injection block only had a 1/16" hole. That made it pretty tough on my hand / grip with the manual caulk gun.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
We have auto glass boss coming to us at the end of the month. Here in Phoenix
14 windows 1,200 bucks 1 day to complete
I think my time is worth that. Plus all the training I will receive observing
If we only had a couple windows I most likely would have purchased material to self repair.
But heck all of them in one day why not?)
Greg
Auto Glass Boss is the real deal. In and out in an hour, for my entry door fogging glass. He charged $50 or $75 bucks. I gave him a $20 tip and still felt bad. He was a "boss", for real. Had the phone in one ear and unbolting the door glass with the other hand. You are getting a deal.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #28
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Heading for RV Fog Doctor

I am driving to RV Fog Doctor tomorrow morning to have Driver and passenger windows repaired. Here is a view of BEFORE repair. I’ll post a finished picture on Friday.

https://www.rvfogdr.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA971FA-BA63-4DBD-90BA-52C4A3E45839.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	315094
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window