Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #1

Dual reciever use while flat towing

Has anyone used a dual reciever with flat tow bar on bottom and segmen or similar bike rack on top to tow 2 bikes? any Clearance issues?

driving a Encore 40ts motorhome, towing Kia soul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have. Clearance issues are possible, depending on all the specific equipments used. My setup was OK.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the double receiver when I carry the bikes. I have a Swagman 2 bike carrier and I secure the bikes with extra bungee cords. I have no problems with clearance flat towing my Toyota Yaris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1349c.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	143847  
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

We used one when we carried bikes. Don't ride bikes anymore. Still have the double receiver FOR SALE.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have also had good luck flat towing a New Beetle on a double receiver with bikes. I use a home-made tow bar that is a bit longer than most, so have no clearance issues.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We use a dual receiver setup - with a Roadmaster Sterling "All Terrain" tow bar in the bottom receiver and a Thule Vertex bike rack (4 bike version) in the upper receiver.

I was concerned about clearance issues - so I tested things pretty thoroughly. I was glad I did! The bike rack I was using protruded farther out from the hitch than I was comfortable with - which is how the Thule entered the system. With the Thule - there's no chance of the big rack assemble interfering with the up and down movement of the tow bar regardless of how uneven the terrain may be (i.e. entering/existing driveways, etc.).

You'll find that your bikes will be hanging out over the tow bar assembly. I was concerned with clearance between the bikes - and the front of our Jeep Liberty when turning. I tested this pretty thoroughly when I first installed everything by loading the bikes onto the rack - and then slowing driving in circles with the coach turning as tightly as possible. I discovered that with three bikes on the rack - the wheels of the "outside" bike will make contact with the front of the Jeep. If I remove the wheels from the bike and just hang the frame of the "outside" bike - it's fine. With only two bikes on the rack - the wheels of the "outside" bike clear the front of the Jeep with 4-6 inches to spare in tight turns. I wouldn't risk trying to load a fourth bike - regardless of the fact that the rack itself has a spot for a forth bike.

We'll be finishing up a two+ month, 12 state trip on Friday using this setup without any problems. Just be sure you examine your setup carefully to ensure you've got sufficient clearances - you'll likely find that you're only playing with inches!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:38 AM   #7

This is how we roll. I had a 2" raised receiver and took it to a welding shop to have them weld a 6" raised receiver for the bike rack. Works perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1478770521044.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	144006   Click image for larger version

Name:	1478770541973.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	144007  

timanddebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the spacing, I have a custom made 4" Drop (Made by Blue Ox, they also customized it)
The bottom is the receiver for the tow bar
The top is a standard "Tong" for a ball hitch
The bike rack is designed to mount on such a tong

No problems at all Save one.

When the blasted tow gear fell off the motor home (Inspect the brackets where the cross bar meets the frame folks) due to the added torsion from the drop receiver..... The rear tire on the bicycle, and the rim, were damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #9

Arrow

4 bike dual rack receiver, Ford Fiesta tow... 50,000 miles, no problems

- reese Dual hitch receiver

- allen 4 bike rack(walmart in store)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reese dual hitch.png
Views:	86
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	144009   Click image for larger version

Name:	allen bike rack.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	144010  

Name:	Screenshot (408).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	144013  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Bike carrier issue

We've been full-time now for 3 months -- motor home towing a CRV with 2 bikes on a platform rack on back of the CRV. The rack is a Q-slot Pro Series for 2 bikes.
We felt the platform rack would hold the bikes more securely, but I wonder about that. I do bungee the bikes to the carrier, and pass a security cable through the bike frame as others have mentioned.
1) No matter what I do, there is some flex in the vertical post to which U-shaped hold-downs are clamped, so I'm not sure just how securely they're held.
2) Even worse, the rubber on the hold-down clamps wore through in the first hundred miles, and then the clamps wore through the finish on the bikes. As We taken the bikes off and on over the weeks, we now have several worn spots on the top tubes. I've tried wrapping a cloth under the hold-down clamps -- I've lost a few somewhere on the highway, although it does appear to be helping.
arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

We have a Roadmaster dual receiver. Super strong and has a 10,000 tow rating. Pricy, but worth every penny.
Flat tow our Subaru Crosstrek with the lower, and I have a spare tire/rim mounted on a Curt Spare Tire Carrier that is mounted in the upper receiver.
16,000 miles now without a problem.
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	144115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	144116  

grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is what I am using and happy with the results. It has a 4" inch drop for your tow bar and the top is used for a bike rack.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../RM-077-4.html

Old 11-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Yep, same one I use xcept I have the 2 1/4 inch drop.
Can't beat their quality as opposed to the imported stuff.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing