Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #1

Dual Tire Pressure Sync? Crossfire? Cat's Eye?

Seen a lot of posts about the importance of TPMS but little mention of keeping duals at same pressure.

Seen some older posts about Crossfire & Cats Eye systems that equalize the pressure among duals while limiting minimum pressure to prevent a blowout deflating the surviving tire.

The fans of these devices say as duals roll they naturally heat up and increase pressure with inside usually increasing more therefore increasing diameter. So that means the outside with lower operating temp / pressure is handling less weight.

Ok, that sure does make the case for these. But is it more hype than reality? Next time I'm in a truck stop I'll look around to see what the pros do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #2

I have a TPMS, and keep the pressure of my tires at the pressure recommended for my tires based upon axle weight. While my duals and tag axle are all at the equal recommended weight, my inside duals operating pressure is always 2 or 3 pound higher. Don’t give it a second thought. Now if there was a 10 or 20 pound of pressure I would begin to wonder. Think your tires will age out long before they wear out due to a slight pressure difference.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pressure difference I have seen, usually the outer on the sun side being the biggest delta, hasn't been more than a few pounds and not worth the cost of a device to correct. I would think the steel wire belts and sidewall cords of a tire will limit diameter changes with minor pressure changes.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I think they would be another point of possible failure. I am a big fan of KISS.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #5

We are in our 8th MH and have never seem more than a couple psi difference between dual tires. I've read about the different equalizer devises, but never saw the need for one. KISS is better for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had crossfires on my last MH. They worked well as a valve extender replacement and gave a single valve per side, which was nice. The visual indication of correct pressure is also handy when doing a walk around.

I never got to try out the minimum pressure cutoff. The tires wore very evenly in the 5 years and 25k miles I put on them. No leaks at the connections. The DW wants to put some on the new MH but the wheel simulators get in the way, I had the last set mounted to one of the axle hub bolts.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For me I installed the crossfire system mainly so I could inflate my own tires. I'm not able to crawl around on the ground trying to air up or check tire pressure. The read out on the Crossfire is a quick and easy way to see if your tire pressure is ok. The one valve stem fill is great for me and is moved out to where I can get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_091310.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	331031   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200816_170133.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	331032  

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

Seems like the better approach for our relatively low mileage coaches is valve extenders & TPMS systems.

As one poster said our tires will age out way before they wear out. So uniform wear is not as critical.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:07 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A View Post
I had crossfires on my last MH. They worked well as a valve extender replacement and gave a single valve per side, which was nice. The visual indication of correct pressure is also handy when doing a walk around.

I never got to try out the minimum pressure cutoff. The tires wore very evenly in the 5 years and 25k miles I put on them. No leaks at the connections. The DW wants to put some on the new MH but the wheel simulators get in the way, I had the last set mounted to one of the axle hub bolts.

I mounted mine on the wheel simulators. See post #7 if you have the same tires as mine get the 12" hoses.they fit better..
Old 06-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put Crossfire on mine in 2012. Worked fine until last year when I kept losing air in the duals on one side. Went to a big truck tire store to see what they could find. They took it off on that side. Both tires holding pressure just fine now and I haven't had it reinstalled. They can go bad.

It could be that the outfit that put on new tires in 2018 may have somehow screwed up the reinstall of the Crossfire on that side.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
I put Crossfire on mine in 2012. Worked fine until last year when I kept losing air in the duals on one side. Went to a big truck tire store to see what they could find. They took it off on that side. Both tires holding pressure just fine now and I haven't had it reinstalled. They can go bad.

It could be that the outfit that put on new tires in 2018 may have somehow screwed up the reinstall of the Crossfire on that side.
You can buy new o-rings or lines for them.

Tags
cat, fire, tire, tire pressure