Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I'd b really scared of duals that touched.
Just cause kit ain't happened yet don't mean it ain't gonna.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
"Offset" is the term used in the industry.

The problem with changing the off set is it will push the inner wheel closer to the spring and there may not be enough clearance to do that. The equivalent metric size for a 7.50 X16 is a 225 70 X16 according to a few tire conversion charts I found. You could contact Coker Tire to see if they make a 7.50X16 in the load rage you need. Coker makes many sizes and styles for the classic car/truck collectors.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

dual tire question

Thanks, Never heard of Coker tire, but will check them out.
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
Thanks, Never heard of Coker tire, but will check them out.
They are a specialty manufacturer that makes a lot of older designs. If they don't make a tire to fit your needs they may be able to point you in the right direction.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
No they're not supposed to rub and yes this is unsafe. Please have this attended to ASAP. Welcome to IRV2
X2! Have this issue addressed as soon as you can.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #20

Dual tires "kissing" is a commercial vehicle violation for a reason. I don't remember the section but it is in USC Title 49 and also in CA Administrative Code, Title 13. If my memory hasn't completely failed I think it is an "Out of Service" violation.

Very dangerous for them to rub.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
Being new to RV's I need a little clarification on the tires on the rear of my 95 Brave, 27'. The coach had these tires on when I bought it two months ago. Lt 235-85-16", Toyo Open country. My question is: Are the tires suppposed to rub up against each other, the inside sidewalls, when the tire rolls? Is this unsafe? Thanks
Bad news and you definitely have the wrong size combinations. What does it say on the sticker, which should be somewhere inside the coach?
You may be able to keep the tires if they are not damaged and use some sort of a spacer, but this needs to be evaluated by an unbiased tire and wheel expert at a trucking firm. While you're at it, look in to the possibility of going with 19.5" x 6" wheels and the most popular 225 metrics.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
sounds like you have load ratied D tires when you need E rated tires unless you have Es severly overloaded. If the latter is the case you need to drop the load.
Did you even look to see about the load rating.
My old 89 F450 tow truck got a set of "D" rated tires years ago becasue of a mix up at my local tire supplier. Even at the higher pressure the Es run they touched. Got them Replaced with E rated tires and they were fine after that.
E rated tires run 80PSI and in set of 4 on a axle are usually good for about 11,100 lbs.
Ds run 55PSI and have a much lower rating for weight.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #23

dual tire question

Good point Mekanic, I will also be observant of the load ratings. I am still trying to determine my best course of action to take, whether use 7.50 tires, or change rims and tires and gomwithnthe Lt225's. This web site is truely amazing with all the experience, input, and friendliness of the members.
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote