Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Duallys - Checking pressure etc..

So I’m having a heck of a time with these duellys … I bought the Viair compressor to take along so I can fill my tires. I have an Entegra Vision with duellys, inside tires and have factory installed extenders.
The Viair gauge with the pressure indicator, when connected to the inside tire shows in the red about 140 psi, so will not allow air in because it’s over pressurized, but there is only like 85 psi in the tire?? What??
Then I have this tire pressure gauge which when I use it on the inner tire extender will not read anything, but sometimes when I take it off the extender valve it will register a psi. Again What??
So has anyone experienced this? And if so what have you moved to, like tools, that will work, testing the pressure and filling with air, without any problems??
I’ve never had duellys, so have no experience, but seriously this can’t be that hard - right?? Thanks .. Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Remove the extensions and read air pressure directly from OEM valve stem. Sounds like the extensions are faulty.
If you read air pressure correctly then purchase a new 6" valve extension to air-up tires. Then remove the new extension and store with air compressor until next time air is needed in the tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Ray, In - ok but if I remove the extenders, how do I read the pressure from the valve stem when they are the inside tire ?? And not being able to see the valve stem how do I attach the six inch extenders to pump up the air - as I said never had duellys before so I think I’m missing something??
Old 06-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #4

I have found on my duallys that the valve extension needs to be on tight on the inner valve stem so the valve stem core will be pushed in. Otherwise I don't get a good flow of air, in or out of the tire, and the pressure reading may not be accurate. That's just one suggestion from dealing with an issue with mine.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:09 AM   #5

We need to clarify; do you have valve stem extensions or standard long stem dual tire valve stems???
A valve stem extension screws onto the metal valve stem bolted into the rim.

Examples of metal valve stems for dually rims are shown here: https://tiresupplynetwork.com/collec...al-valve-stems

examples of metal valve stem extensions are shown here: https://www.amazon.com/valve-stem-ex...ons+for+dually

Finally, this blog explains how and why rubber valve stems are NOT a good idea for dually tires: https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...tire-pressure/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 06-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is what was on my motorhome when I bought it, braided extensions mounted to the hubs. These work well when I check or add air and when installing TPMS sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Braided valve extenders.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	333648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210329_083651.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	333649  

Old 06-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Ray,In ... I have metal valve Extensions - braided metal.

Thanks for the article I'll read it over this afternoon ..
Old 06-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #8

Something is wrong with your braided extensions or you will be getting reliable pressure readings. They simply unscrew from the original tire valve stem, then you may attach a solid metal extension as I referenced and add air to your inner dual tires.
Most dual tire arrangements have enough room between them for you to slip your hand in and work on the extensions. The valves stem needs to be in the 5 or 7 o'clock position for easiest access. I know I've worked on mine this way.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

After purchasing our rig, I was having difficulties with extensions and even a replacement stem I had installed. So, I ordered the dually one piece valve kit from
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits

I am so glad I spent a few bucks and did it. The one piece valve stems are nice and tight and I like the grommet that comes with them to stabilize them. I would never mess around with valve extensions again.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure you're not reading the pressure from the compressor, not the tire?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote