Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 08:50 AM   #1

Ductwork with Mini Splits

Forgive me if this has been posted but I am 2 hours in to searching and cannot find better info.

I have a 2004 Country Coach Intrigue ovation with 3 rooftop a/c heat pump units. They are connected via a ductwork that runs the length of the coach. I am an all-weather user of my coach so once we dip below 28-32F, I can only run the diesel fired forced hot air which I'd rather not do so my solution to this is to get a residential mini split system that can run at much cooler temperatures.

The question now is how to utilize the ductwork. My favorite option so far is to use the ceiling cassette style unit in the bedroom (also noise reduction HELLO), however, it appears that these can not be connected to a duct (although I cannot verify this as I can't find any teardown images of the units).

So my questions are as follows.

Those who have modified their ducted heating/cool, what was your solution?
Anyone who has experience with the ceiling cassette style units, is there a way to potentially duct it?

Thanks in advance
SaintSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #2

Does this help?
https://hvacdirect.com/instantsearch...it%20system%20
Old 07-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
I was able to see some larger images of the ceiling cassettes, so yes a little, thank you.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:13 PM   #4

I assume (maybe wrong) you need diesel furnace below 28-32 because your roof units are heat pumps? The mini split I have (at home) is also a heat pump so it will have the same limitations as your roof heat pumps.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I assume (maybe wrong) you need diesel furnace below 28-32 because your roof units are heat pumps? The mini split I have (at home) is also a heat pump so it will have the same limitations as your roof heat pumps.

All the mini splits I am aware of can produce heat even when outdoor temperature is around 14F. They are very different than traditional residential heat pumps
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:04 PM   #6

Actually mini-splits ARE heat pumps except for those that are AC only. They are just in smaller and more efficient packages than the average household split system. If you are looking to install a mini-split that excels at producing heat at lower temperatures I suspect you might be looking at Daikin units. Good stuff. Worth noting that in their literature Daikin themselves refer to the mini-split systems they sell as heat pumps. I feel like they would know.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #7

One problem you may have is getting enough airflow through the vents, we have a wall mount mini-split and the amount of air it moves on high is significantly more than a similar rated window air conditioner.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You cannot connect a high wall or ceiling cassatte evaporator to ductwork, their fans don't have the horsepower to work agenst the static pressure of a duct system. Mitsubishi does make an evaporator that is spicifically designed to connect to a duct system. Model PEDA-18AA7 is one of many the sell.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #9

Yes, mini splits are heat pumps, with the same limitations.

Though heat pumps are more efficient than resistive heat down into the teens, they need to run constantly at those temps, and the temperature of the air coming out of the ducts is much lower than a gas heater, so if you sit directly in front of the air flow they can feel like they're not working even when they are. When we first got a heat pump for our house the tech recommended turning the ducts away from where we sit and sleep because we complained that it felt like cold air was blowing on us, even though the air temperature coming out of the ducts was in the 90s. Gas furnaces blow air at 120-130 degrees or more. He was right, turning the ducts away from us made all the difference.

We use the basement heat pump in our motorhome a lot. It mostly works well, but when the outdoor temps get below freezing we switch to our propane furnace.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
You cannot connect a high wall or ceiling cassatte evaporator to ductwork, their fans don't have the horsepower to work agenst the static pressure of a duct system. Mitsubishi does make an evaporator that is spicifically designed to connect to a duct system. Model PEDA-18AA7 is one of many the sell.
This is useful information, thank you. I would like to clarify that, despite the ductwork being connected through the length of the bus, I'm not trying to actually push air from one end to the other. Generally, it's just for better dispersion through the vents that are fairly close to it. Additionally, the bedroom has a couple of vents in the bathroom.

As far as the concern of the split not being efficient enough to heat, as I understand it, the Ultra Inverter models are what I'm interested in and their tests seem to be pretty good. Also, for what it's worth, the coach will be parked in a barn during those temps(~20-30F) and the outdoor unit will be in a bay (exhausted of course).

Still a decent option or no? Looking to be about $2500 total installed. Would I be better off with electric stand alone heaters? (I worry as I have small children)
Old 07-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #11

Ceramics are safe and cheap as well as quiet.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not use some small personal electric heaters with digital thermostats. They range in watts from 300 to 500. That's what we do. Three works well for us. The three 450 watt heaters are: up front by the door, center under dinette, rear in bedroom.

We also use the furnace. We pick a lower set point for our furnace stat. This way if it gets real cold the furnace will come on and blow heats in the ducts in the floor and keep the basement and the pluming warm. While at the same time the electric personal heaters are also heating.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Why not use some small personal electric heaters with digital thermostats. They range in watts from 300 to 500. That's what we do. Three works well for us. The three 450 watt heaters are: up front by the door, center under dinette, rear in bedroom.

We also use the furnace. We pick a lower set point for our furnace stat. This way if it gets real cold the furnace will come on and blow heats in the ducts in the floor and keep the basement and the pluming warm. While at the same time the electric personal heaters are also heating.
How low of a temperature do the electric heaters keep up with?