Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 04:22 PM   #15

Interesting thread. I am no tire expert. I just did a lot of research and consider myself fairly knowledgeable. It was my understanding, part of the reason RV tires (by Michelin and Goodyear) are RV tires is due to the rubber formulation. The special mix is with the known factor for RV tires is they are not used regularly and will age out before they wear out. The mix helps against non-use and UV light breaking down the rubber.

To those going to truck tires vs RV tires, are you concerned they will age out quicker than the same size RV recommended tire?
Are you having the tires dismounted and inspected for cracking? At what interval?
Do you plan to keep your RV beyond the normal 6 year recommended life of the tires for an RV?

If my preconceptions for the above are incorrect and there is factual information to the contrary please post links so it can be reviewed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2022, 05:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Interesting thread. I am no tire expert. I just did a lot of research and consider myself fairly knowledgeable. It was my understanding, part of the reason RV tires (by Michelin and Goodyear) are RV tires is due to the rubber formulation. The special mix is with the known factor for RV tires is they are not used regularly and will age out before they wear out. The mix helps against non-use and UV light breaking down the rubber.

To those going to truck tires vs RV tires, are you concerned they will age out quicker than the same size RV recommended tire?
Are you having the tires dismounted and inspected for cracking? At what interval?
Do you plan to keep your RV beyond the normal 6 year recommended life of the tires for an RV?

If my preconceptions for the above are incorrect and there is factual information to the contrary please post links so it can be reviewed.

Every Michelin I have seen and on my own rig and cars/trucks started cracking around 5yrs.

I am not buying theat they are specially formulated to sit, that's just BS marketing. I can also tell you my new tires ride way better than Michelins when new.

Batteries and Tires have a 5yr life. After 5yrs it's a crap shoot. Not saying they won't go 7-10 if climate controlled and run regularly.

I am not as old as many, but I have replaced many tires and batteries and 5yrs is has been the average endlife.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #17

I have Michelins on mine. They are all over 7 years old at this point. I am the original owner. I cover them if I am staying more than 3-4 days in a spot. I am full time since 2017. I also used 303 protectant on them. I have a TPMS and had a 4 point weigh with proper inflation. I check them monthly for cracking and have not seen any yet but I know they are due to be replaced and plan on it soon. Debating on Michelins or something else. I plan (but plans change often!) to keep the rv for at least another 7 years.
This is why this thread cam to my attention.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Every Michelin I have seen and on my own rig and cars/trucks started cracking around 5yrs.

I am not buying theat they are specially formulated to sit, that's just BS marketing. I can also tell you my new tires ride way better than Michelins when new.

Batteries and Tires have a 5yr life. After 5yrs it's a crap shoot. Not saying they won't go 7-10 if climate controlled and run regularly.

I am not as old as many, but I have replaced many tires and batteries and 5yrs is has been the average endlife.
I agree. There's always been this myth that Michelins have a different formulation that is specifically engineered for RV use. I too disagree. We've had discussions on this forum through the years on this subject and I'm one who also believes it's simply marketing hype. But I know many here on the forum disagree. We've seen tire experts and those in the business on both sides of this issue but I'm in the camp that says Michelin or Goodyear are not specially formulated for RV use and do not possess any substantial differences from other commercial truck tires. That's why in all my posts here through the years, I recommend using something other than Michelin or Goodyear.

Michelin is a good product; I'm not saying that it isn't There's no doubt about that even putting aside the sidewall cracking issue. However, I don't like paying premium prices for first-tier tires (Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) as I believe --and it's only my opinion-- that you don't necessarily get the far superior product for the premium prices being paid. And I vehemently disagree with many on this forum that buying any other tire than a Michelin is putting the safety of your family at risk.

My favorite brands for motorhomes are Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, and Hankook. Again, just my personal preferences. However, I do believe that I am getting comparable quality to a Michelin by purchasing those alternate brands but for a lot less money. And as was discussed in another recent tire thread, many other brands can be just as good and can be purchased for good prices too. So even though many of us overthink tire purchases, including myself, any of the well-known brands will be safe and reliable. It's just that we all have our own "favorite" brands just as with any other product.

Tires from the second-tier manufacturers represent the best value in my opinion. Sure, you can also buy tires that cost even less from third-tier manufacturers. However, I prefer not to purchase tires from the Chinese-based manufacturers. That's not because of the lesser quality as some are very good tires now but more because of my own political beliefs. We all are forced to use certain amount of products that are manufactured in China or from Chinese based companies. But I refuse to consciously choose to buy a product from a company that has its cooperate headquarters in China ...that is PRC ...not POC or Taiwan).

That's why even though Sailun and Double Coin tires are very good and have excellent reviews from the trucking industry --plus represent a very good value as they are substantially less money-- they are manufactured by companies headquartered in China. I personally will not buy a Sailun tire, as an example, even though it's a very good tire for an excellent price.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:45 PM   #19

I replaced GY tires with Hankook AH 35s after a fair amount of research. The Hankooks are standard equipment on Ford F series medium trucks.
One thing that I'm not comfortable with is the idea that any product that doesn't carry the manufacturers' brand is "just like" the original product. If I make AITG tires that's my name and reputation on every tire. If a large customer asks for 10,000 tires for 10% below my regular price I take my name off the tire and start looking for ways to reduce my cost of manufacturing. Something to consider...at the end of the day it's your RV and your money.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorisMullins View Post
Have anyone ever purchased tires from online shop called SimpleTire.com? If so, what was your experience with them?
I ordered 2 Toyo 245.75RX22.5 on Monday afternoon and feed put them on my porch wed morning. Date code 5 months old.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #21

I am at 6.5 years on my Michelins, no signs of cracks, like mentioned above Michelin's compound is designed to moisten/oil the rubber as it travels. Read about it you might find it very interesting.

I'll go to 7-years and re-evaluate. I do keep mine covered, even at the parks, and at home parked inside I put a carpet barrier between the cement and the tire. I'm told the ground sucks the moisture from the rubber.

safe travels
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweedo295 View Post
I am at 6.5 years on my Michelins, no signs of cracks, like mentioned above Michelin's compound is designed to moisten/oil the rubber as it travels. Read about it you might find it very interesting.

I'll go to 7-years and re-evaluate. I do keep mine covered, even at the parks, and at home parked inside I put a carpet barrier between the cement and the tire. I'm told the ground sucks the moisture from the rubber.

safe travels
Well, there have been discussions on this and other RV and RV related forums through the years on this. A few of us believe it's a myth that Michelin and to a lesser extent, Goodyear, use special and/or proprietary compounds to "soften and oil the rubber as it travels" and also to make it more resistant to UV damage.

One study showed that there is not much difference in either the formulation of manufacturing ingredients or manufacturing methods that make Michelin or Goodyear "RV tires" any more resistant to either UV damage or resistant to hardening/cracking through the years.

Michelin and Goodyear also advertise that their designated "RV tires" give a smoother ride than the typical commercial truck tire. Being subject to such advertising claims, many do have a psychological reaction that they are in fact a smoother riding than a Toyo or other popular tire brands that motorhome owner purchase. Even though much of that is a subjective reaction, one study (I wish I had kept it) put tires through a blindfold Coke/Pepsi -type of test where they asked the participants if they could tell whether they were driving a coach with Michelin or another brand of commercial truck tire and the results were all over the place. Some when driving the coach with Michelins and not knowing that they were Michelins, thought the ride was rougher and didn't handle well. Some thought Toyo (and whatever the other manufacturers products they were testing) gave a smoother ride or handled better.

And we all know that those same type of subjective reactions are reflected on this forum too. Many can't tell the difference when they replaced their OEM Michelins with Toyo. Some believe the ride and handling improved. Some, of course, didn't. And we also know that many have kept Toyo for their full 6 to 10 year age-out threshold and experienced zero problems with any type of defect. We also know many Michelin owners experienced a whole host of problems including the infamous sidewall cracking issues.

Yes, Michelin is definitely good at promoting those types of marketing techniques in making you believe that you are getting a product that is far superior for RV use because of certain manufacturing factors. But in actuality, they really aren't that much different than any other tire manufacturer.

Again, this is only my own opinion. You and others don't agree and that's fine. I'm not saying that Michelin is an inferior product but I'm only saying that I personally don't wish to spend the extra money on Michelins. If you and others believe that they are superior --and you're in the majority-- then yes, you should continue to buy Michelin. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

It's just that I would buy Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, or a lot of other brands before I spend the premium prices that the first-tier tire brands command like Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc. There's NOTHING wrong with Mchelin, they are an excellent tire and will continue to out-sell other manufacturers. It's just that I personally do not want to pay the premium prices for a product that isn't horribly different than a Toyo in its quality, safety features, ride and handling characteristics, or longevity.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney2 View Post
The general consensus of many RV forums is to avoid tires made in China; not necessarily where the corporate offices are, but where the tire is actually manufactured.
I created a list to decipher the 2 characters in the DOT code that let you know what country the tires were manufactured in. Maybe that can assist you in your search.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=391
Piney,
\
Thanks to you for the list. I have downloaded it and will keep it for reference. I did notice Kumho tires listed, but I have not heard anyone on IRV2 mention them before. I had six on my previous dp and loved them. The pressures nevery varied other than what ambient conditions would indicate. They were very good tires and I had no complaints over five years of using them. I would buy them again if I need to. I am also happy with our cirrent set of Continentals. It seems that now, you don't get to choose what brand you want so much as what is available in your size.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Piney,
\
Thanks to you for the list. I have downloaded it and will keep it for reference. I did notice Kumho tires listed, but I have not heard anyone on IRV2 mention them before. I had six on my previous dp and loved them. The pressures nevery varied other than what ambient conditions would indicate. They were very good tires and I had no complaints over five years of using them. I would buy them again if I need to. I am also happy with our cirrent set of Continentals. It seems that now, you don't get to choose what brand you want so much as what is available in your size.
Kumho used to make a very good tire. It's a long-standing South Korean company but ran into some kind of controversy about 20 years ago in their manufacturing method in one line of passenger car tires that somehow related to their quality. I can't remember the exact details of what went on, however.

Lately, they really don't have as stellar a reputation or the vast product line as Hankook, the other South Korean and most prominent tire manufacturer there.

I think I heard where Kumho is now controlled by a Chinese company who holds the majority of shares. However, the company headquarters remains in South Korea. They have a lot of plants globally but the majority are now in China.

I'm going to disagree slightly with Piney and give, again my own opinion, on the Chinese company vs Chinese manufacturing plant statement ...and I'm referring to RCR and not ROC:

I refuse to knowingly buy tires (or any product for that matter) that is manufactured by a company that is headquartered in China (PRC). My reason for this is "political" and not that the product they produce is necessarily inferior ...although, lots of products that come from China are inferior as we all know. Yes, we all buy products made in China everyday. There's no way around that currently. But I don't want to knowingly purchase products from a Chinese-based manufacturer where my money ends up as profit to that company that is ultimately headquartered in China.

I also somewhat disagree with Piney with regards to tires made in Chinese manufacturing plants. If the tire is manufactured by a well-known company with a good reputation that is hardhearted outside of China, they will use the same manufacturing techniques as is used in the plant that might be located where their headquarters might be.

For example, Hankook has stated in an interview that the tires made in their plant(s) in China are no different than the tires that come out of their South Korean plant. They have on-site South Korean managers overseeing the operation and they use the exact same equipment and techniques that are identical of those in their South Korean plant.

Michelin has said the same thing about tires made in their plants in China ...as have many of the major tire manufacturers that have plants in China.

But yes, if I can avoid a tire (even from Hankook or Michelin) that might be made in their Chinese plant, I most likely would even though they may be of the same quality and no different but that's just an "if possible" scenario.

And as I have stated in previous posts, tires made in Taiwan or from a company that is headquartered in Taiwan (ROC), to me would be fine.

My personal preference would be a tires from a second-tier manufacturers that have their headquarters in either the U.S., Japan, or South Korea and are manufactured in a plant in either the U.S., Japan, or South Korea. So again, my favorite brands (but not that I wouldn't buy other brands under the right circumstances) would be Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, or Hankook that are made in plants in the U.S., Japan, or South Korea.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #25

I and two of my friends have have Toyo tires and do not have any problems with them. Sumitomo and Yokohama tires are very good as well. Out of the three, get the ones with the best price.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiland View Post
Not sure what size you have, but I have the Hankook AH37 275x70x22.5 and absolutely love then.
I have the same size tires in Sailun truck tires. They are much better than the Goodyear G670's they replaced, and were 1/3 the cost.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have the same size tires in Sailun truck tires. They are much better than the Goodyear G670's they replaced, and were 1/3 the cost.
Sailun definitely is a quality tire. It has a good reputation in the trucking industry and is ranked the #3 tire manufacturer by the China Rubber Industry Association. And from everything I'm gathering, it has up-to-date technology and its manufacturing techniques are right up there with the best. They're designed by top-notch Chinese engineers and are really second to none.

They produce millions of OTR tires for distribution around the world and are especially prominent in Canada and Europe.

But to the point in my previous post, Sailun is headquarted in Qingdao China (PRC). I do not want to knowingly make purchases from companies headquartered in the PRC ...it's my stubborn political beliefs. Yes, we all buy and use plenty of products from China but much is beyond our control as we are forced to but I don't want to consciously make a decision to buy from a company that is headquartered in the PRC if I don't have to no matter how good their product might be or how good a value it represents ...yes, Sailun tires are an excellent value. There is no doubt about that. Just not for me.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
I replaced GY tires with Hankook AH 35s after a fair amount of research. The Hankooks are standard equipment on Ford F series medium trucks.
One thing that I'm not comfortable with is the idea that any product that doesn't carry the manufacturers' brand is "just like" the original product. If I make AITG tires that's my name and reputation on every tire. If a large customer asks for 10,000 tires for 10% below my regular price I take my name off the tire and start looking for ways to reduce my cost of manufacturing. Something to consider...at the end of the day it's your RV and your money.
True that my F150 came from the factory with Hankook tires. I was really impressed with how smoothly they rode, until one of them blew out on me on a busy Arizona interstate. Can't say that wouldn't happen with any brand, but a bad experience like that tends to stick with you.

Tags
tire, tires