Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dumb things some motor home builders do

I have looked at a lot of Motor Homes and question why so many manufacturers continue to build them the same way.
WHY?
Put carpet anywhere in a bathroom?
Put carpet in the kitchen and under the dining area?
Build the dining area on the driver’s side instead of the passenger side? When sitting at the table, I want to look out on my patio not someone else’s.
Install the loud traditional generators instead of the “Inverter” type? Inverters are so quiet and economical compared to the old traditional type.
Not attaching the basement storage so they come out with the slideouts. I hate having to crawl under the slide to get something.
Sometimes I wonder if the designers are even campers.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I have looked at a lot of Motor Homes and question why so many manufacturers continue to build them the same way.
WHY?
Build the dining area on the driver’s side instead of the passenger side? When sitting at the table, I want to look out on my patio not someone else’s.
Install the loud traditional generators instead of the “Inverter” type? Inverters are so quiet and economical compared to the old traditional type.
Not attaching the basement storage so they come out with the slideouts. I hate having to crawl under the slide to get something.

I don't think they are campers or they would fix some of these things. Lol!

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
WHY?
I have had a MH with bays attached to the slide they were little instead of a pass through style.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #4

Or the wet bay door that folds up not sideways. Have to crawl under it to hook sewer & water hoses ?? My last RV did open sideways.

No way to see water tank while filling it. Till it runs out on ground. I've modified last two RV's to correct that.

That just a couple.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago (and a few others) had the Store More storage compartments integrated into at least one big slide. I believe they gave it up to allow for more real 'pass through' storage in the bays. It is a trade off. I now have a coach with big sliding storage trays in the pass thru compartments. It is still not always easy to get under the slide to get to the tray.

I agree on carpet.... if it was up to me, there would be no carpet in our coach except maybe around the bed. Carpet makes it less expensive, IMO, to use flat floor slides. Simple metal runner on bottom of slide skids across the carpet and another piece of carpet on the slide floor to overlap the joint and hide it. To do that with a hard surface takes a bit more engineering, material and cost. Read the many posts from folks who complain that their big heavy slide is scratching or marring their nice wood or plank vinyl floor.

As far as generators, my Onan quiet diesel is just that..... pretty quiet. It basically hums.... can hardly hear it inside the coach and it is not obnoxious outside. Gasoline generators, which are normally air cooled, are noisy. Takes a lot of batteries or solar to provide enough inverter power to run a lot of things that spoil us.... like air conditioners.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

I am glad my bays are not part of the slides. I enjoy my 3 large bays full pass-through.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #7

Dumb things some motor home builders do

I agree with you on the carpet. At the FMCA rally I asked a Newmar rep about a no carpet option. He snottily told me if I wanted that I would only have plywood on the floor of the slide then.

Nice.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess we can all add to the list. Here's three off the top of my head.
  1. Why did they take away the driver's door option? I find mine very handy.
  2. Why are many TVs in places inconvenient to watch? How many of you have sore necks after a couple of nights in the coach?
  3. Why are there floor plans that are unusable when the slides are in? Sometimes you just want to stop along the roadside for a sandwich or a pitstop. I have seen refrigerators behind slides and bathrooms you can't get to. I actually saw a new coach (brand escapes me) this year that had double slides in the front that blocked the way to the driver's seat when in.

I remember several years ago visiting the Winnebago plant for the tour. They had some coaches out front for display and walk-through. One of these had a design flaw that resulted in the door not being able to fully open as a result of an awning support. And this was on display - unbelievable!
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Basement that doesn't slide out, not a problem.I store things that come out before slide does, and go in before slide does. Dinette in driver side slide bothers me less than LP hoses and water/waste lines in slide would.But a swing out water bay door would sure be nicer than the head knocker.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
I guess we can all add to the list. Here's three off the top of my head.[*]Why did they take away the driver's door option? I find mine very handy.[*]Why are many TVs in places inconvenient to watch? How many of you have sore necks after a couple of nights in the coach?[*]Why are there floor plans that are unusable when the slides are in? Sometimes you just want to stop along the roadside for a sandwich or a pitstop. I have seen refrigerators behind slides and bathrooms you can't get to. I actually saw a new coach (brand escapes me) this year that had double slides in the front that blocked the way to the driver's seat when in. I remember several years ago visiting the Winnebago plant for the tour. They had some coaches out front for display and walk-through. One of these had a design flaw that resulted in the door not being able to fully open as a result of an awning support. And this was on display - unbelievable!

It is not just with the slides in either I have seen fridge issues even with the slides out. I recently viewed two coaches with residential fridges. Due to their placement you couldn't open the left door fully as it opened up into a wall. If you wanted to take the ice bin for the ice maker out of that left side you were outta luck.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #11

We were looking a new class C and I decided to open couch bed to see how it operated and it scratched the cabinets on the way down unfolding. When the bathroom door chunked the wall we were done looking. That one was going to take too much M&R!

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38 PDQ
Old 08-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

...........Sometimes I wonder if the designers are even campers.
No, they are not.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote