Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bazinga!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

I tossed that bayonet connected hose in the trash several years ago
Go with a quality "cam lock" end and be done with it .....Forever
Check out "Drain Master" and the 360 vent systems while you are at it
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
RussellG,

Why don't you try the Rhino hose again in the standard square bumper storage. We had the small bumper storage, I got a Rhino hose and it didn't fit. I wondered why they'd make a nice hose that wouldn't fit into the storage bumper. I cussed myself for spending the $$$. I tried it again and when I turned the hooks to each corner of the square it went in just like it was intended. I just had to get a little smarter. If it's the standard sized drain hose I think it will fit.

Let us know the results.

TeJay
Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #18

Upon further reflection, and noserider's laughing face, it must have been. Best not to try humor with text. So much for my welcome.
Jim Woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #19

I used to have a Rhino flex hose. At about 2 years old it turned into a corkscrew when I lifted it off the ground. Then I got a red Valtera. It was very difficult to get onto the outlet and I couldn't get it locked onto the fitting and it would come right off upon pulling the dump handle. I then got the Blue Line push together system and it has been trouble free. I'm very happy with the Blue Line system.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #20

ChasA, the Blue Line push system makes me a little nervous, and so I followed Dr4Film's idea of the filter wrenches. But instead of his large filter wrench, I found a Pittsburgh locking oil filter wrench that clamps onto to either end of the Rhino/Dominator hoses, without any damage to the plastic (and now I'm seeing cam-lock as well as bayonet connectors...not sure of the difference). These are only $7.99 at Harbor Freight instead of $18. This is all the assist I need for these types of hoses. I like the solid connection of this product, and if I ever change systems, I still have two dandy filter wrenches.

Jim and Kristie Woodard
Fort Myers, FL
Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #21

Jim, I was also nervous about the push on system. But I had all kinds of problems with the bayonet type fittings. So I decided to try the push ons. I was very nervous the first couple of times I used it. But not anymore. Personally, I wouldn't use anything from Harbor Freight. I would never ever use another Rhino flex hose. The one I had came completely apart. To each his own.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodard View Post
Upon further reflection, and noserider's laughing face, it must have been. Best not to try humor with text. So much for my welcome.
Jim

I was not so much laughing at you but with you. Your first post sounded like something I would say myself. And the comment from one of the resident pros about nice attitude was classic and pretty dang funny hence the laughing face. If you follow some of my newbie questions I post on here you'll get plenty of chances to laugh at me I promise . Welcome to the party!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the Blue-Line fittings since none of the others will fit in my built in carrying tube. So far I've never had one pop apart although I have had some split and need replacing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
to the OP, Yes you are right they are a bit pricey. Mine came on my camper when I bought it and if it goes out I will be buying a new one immediately. I have talked to a few people at the cash register who were buying them and several of them had been using them for years. The motor finally wore out and they were buying another one. It cures a lot of issues the 3 inch drain hose has. One end is permanently connected so you do not worry about it. The other end has a valve to turn on and off and a cap to screw on the end of the pipe. NO mess to worry about. I noticed one of the posters that agreed with me about how convenient they were said they used a 3 inch drain hose when they were long term camping away from home. Not sure why that is. My system has a bypass hose to bypass the pump. I open the valve on the bypass hose and it bypasses the pump and goes straight to the drain hose. I leave the drain hose in the septic opening with the drain valve open. I then open the grey water valve and leave it open when camping. This allows my grey water tank to drain continuously. When I need to drain the black water tank I open the valve for the tank and turn on the pump. Pretty easy to deal with. I did make one change to my system. where the hose connects to the discharge valve I added a piece of clear plastic hose at that point so I could see when the black tank was getting empty.

I looked at the lippert system. NOt much difference in price between it and a macerator pump.

I did not want to hurt their feelings but the people that replaced the worn out system could have bought a rebuild kit for the pump for 60.00 that had everything you need to rebuild it. Takes about 30 min if you are slow like I am. 15 IF you work at a normal speed.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #25

noserider: No worries. I'm sure if my wife and I had you and JFXG on either side of us, we'd end up best of friends and plan future rendezvous'.

For those that mentioned hose storage, I recall asking my salesman what that 30-inch deep round compartment, just to the right of the tank outlets, was for. He didn't know! The larger compressed Rhino hoses are about 34" so it never really occurred to me to utilize it, and I've always had plenty of room in one of the port-side storage areas for all things plumbing: water hoses, tank hoses, spare nozzles and single to double or triple output connectors to send the park water in different directions.

It is excellent that gemini5363 mentioned a re-build kit for the macerator pump. If a little pile of money falls on my head, I'll go to that system, but for now, I can take my two $8 round locking filter wrenches and connect and disconnect with glee.

Jim and Kristie Woodard
2004 Dutch Star
Fort Myers, FL
Old 10-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not take the ends off the hose, unless I am replacing the hose, but I have more or less given up on Rhino for other reasons.

I have a collections of hoses, different makes and types.. I will list.
I have the original el-cheap hose that came with the RV.. Believe it or not nine years latter I am still using it.. Still works too.. In fact it is the one I have on theh coach RIGHT NOW. The only modification I have done is this.

I cut about a foot off the end, and made a very short adapter to ground, put male and female connectors on the cut ends so it is now an "Extension Hose"

On the elbow I drilled out the hose fitting so I can use it as a Gray Water Tank #2 (Wash Water) drain.. THIS is why Im' using it now instead of the last hose on the list.

I have a Camco E-Z Store 20. configured as an extension hose.

I have a red or orange hose from camping world 10' extension hose. This one along with the original store in a 6" PVC pipe bolted to the frame of the motor home.

I got my first Rino in 2006, wore it out and another which I tossed in 2009, these things were nice but a problem.

The last hose I bought was a Tethford Smart Hose, this uses cam-lock connectors to hook to the ends.. There are still some issues with this system extension hoses, for example, are hard to find, (BUT that will be fixed) I really like this hose.

Initial assembly was a pain.. Took all I had and then some to get the hose to properly lock into the connectors.. But the 2nd time it was way easier, No leaks so far.. But the hose fitting I use for Gray 2,, Not there, so I can not use it, which is why I am using the el-cheapo.

(Gray 2, since my wife died, is not often used)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Try the Sewer Solution. It works well. Stores well. Extends well. Will flow uphill on a slight grade. And very little mess.

Priced between a slinky and a macerator with some benefits of each.

4 years of use with no replacement parts.

However, I do use a cheap slinky at a dump station for speed.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Thetford SmartDrain (?) There is nothing smart about it. The bayonet adapter to the coach gushes a disgusting black water fountain each time I open the dump valve. It only lasts a moment but the dirty deed is done.

I have three of these couplings. The first two failed when the gasket was sucked down the dump tube. This last redesigned one only gushes on the first inrush from the tank. Great improvement.

My recommendation is to avoid this system. It is not worth the time, money or mess.

Rick Y