Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Dutch star vs phaeton

Was wanting to know of anyone that has had experience with either of these models, pros and cons.
My wife and I will have her student loans paid off at the end of the year and will be able to afford around $2k month payment. We have been lookin between these 2 machines. We will get one in 2014.
Newmar Dutch star 3736 or a tiffin phaeton 36gh
I really like the no questions asked tiffin warranty, one piece molded roof cap amd the floor plan. I like the fact that the Newmar has @450 up engine which will help pulling my BBQ trailer vs the tiffin 380hp. I have researched newmar to have better fiberglass and paint finish and i like the one big slide and half bath. The televator just seems like one other thing in the Newmar to break but i love the opposing couches since we uually have family at cookoffs. Both can be upgraded to the 10kw Onan which I will need since my BBQ trailer is gonna have a a/c. Any input on the good, the bad, and the ugly will be appreciated.
Might I add I have to stay below 40' or I will have to buy 2 Cookoff spaces, that's NO BUEÑO
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #2

I have a dutchstar. Love it. I was looking at both rigs as well. Just found mine at the rite time and the rite price.
I would think about the upgrading the grenny. Sounds like you parking your rig and trailer(BBQ) as the same location. Saying you have to stay under 40 ft. What about on the future if you cannot park both together. Then what would you do about a grenny. Get a honda portable grenny and mount it on the trailer. Get has not propane.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

I will always be able to have them side by side. All of our Cookoff spaces in TX are 40x40 or 40x30. I really like doing my homework before I buy. It's half the fun. We will definitely upgrade to the 10kw quiet diesel. It only runs @1800rpm vs the 8kw 3600rpm @ max load. The 10kw also uses less fuel and has twice the oil capacity, lower rpm, less vibration, so I'm sure it will last alot longer. I like having power to spare because sometimes my family brings shop fans or lights for the tent, or occasionally a competitor next door has genny problems and I always borrow a outlet if I can, it's good BBQ karma. Every time I have done it, we have either gotten 1st place calls and/or a grand championship.
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We were looking at both units prior to buying the Dutch Star. We looked new but decided to buy used. We weren't 100% positive on what we wanted.
Tiffin's warranty is great; in Red Bay Alabama. Newmar's warranty is good too.
You'll find that the model numbers are about 18" short of overall coach length.

Tiffin builds more MH's than anybody. About 4 times more. Newmar builds about 1/4 of the amount Tiffin builds. Newmar will customize. Tiffin will only allow listed options (this when we were looking April 2013).

Good luck. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Not sure what the HP is on the 36GH. The site lists 380, but the site also lists the 42LH as 400 when it is really 450. Does anyone know for sure what the HP is on the the Phaeton 36GH.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #6

I have a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH. It has 380 HP. Wife and I like the GH floor plan But there is only the 2 of us. We purchased new 6-7-13 and have only been able to use it for 2 weekend trips which included this past weekend. The rest of the time it has been in the shop. I had to carry it back to the dealer today. Tiffin needs much better quality control concerning it suppliers. I think the Phaeton will be a good motorhome when all of the bugs are worked out.

I bought a new Newmar Mtn Aire 40DP in 1999. I never had any problems of any kind. BUT it is not fair to compare any 1999 to any 2013. I think most things were built better then than now. We could have purchased a Dutch Star but felt the Phaeton was a a little nicer and we live in Alabama where Tiffin is manufactured.
ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Isn't the Dutch Star more of an equivalent to the Alegro Bus? I would think the Ventana is more on the level of the Phaeton.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure you can go "wrong" with either choice if the floor plan meets your likes and needs.

A few quick comparisons:

1. The one thing that the DSDP will offer is the Comfort Drive Steer. While I hear it is great no matter the length of the MH, I tend to think it would make a bigger difference in the handling of the shorter models without the tag.

2. The DSDP will have a Jake Brake while the Phateon will have an exhaust brake.

3. HP - DSDP 450, Phateon 380. After a good BBQ...you may need the extra HP. The 400 HP on my 43' with a CRV toad seems to do a very nice job. I would suspect 450 HP on a lighter unit but a heavier trailer (maybe heavier?) would still do wonderful. OTOH, the 380 HP will get you there just fine with maybe a minor slow down in big hills. (The Jake Brake capabilities on the DSDP seem to be a big +)

4. The DSDP wheel base is 242" compared to 228".

I like my DSDP but there is no reason the Phateon wouldn't do just fine.

BTW...Tiffin gets the nod on service center location. Who wants to go to northern Indiana in the winter for factory service?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #9

Well my thoughts are I don't want to go to either place, Red Bay or Indiana. I have a DSDP that hasn't been anywhere for the 3 yrs. we've been full timing, except to a diesel shop for yearly maint. I bought a coach to travel in, not putting in to have things fixed all the time. Just my 2 cents.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
Was wanting to know of anyone that has had experience with either of these models, pros and cons.
My wife and I will have her student loans paid off at the end of the year and will be able to afford around $2k month payment. We have been lookin between these 2 machines. We will get one in 2014.
Newmar Dutch star 3736 or a tiffin phaeton 36gh
I really like the no questions asked tiffin warranty, one piece molded roof cap amd the floor plan. I like the fact that the Newmar has @450 up engine which will help pulling my BBQ trailer vs the tiffin 380hp. I have researched newmar to have better fiberglass and paint finish and i like the one big slide and half bath. The televator just seems like one other thing in the Newmar to break but i love the opposing couches since we uually have family at cookoffs. Both can be upgraded to the 10kw Onan which I will need since my BBQ trailer is gonna have a a/c. Any input on the good, the bad, and the ugly will be appreciated.
Might I add I have to stay below 40' or I will have to buy 2 Cookoff spaces, that's NO BUEÑO
My wife and I have been full time for going on 7 years now. I have 2 suggestions for you to consider:
1. Before you drill down to the specific coach you want, spend some serious time talking out a list of desirables that are not coach specific.
A. Chassis
B. Engine/transmission
C. AquaHot or not
D. tag axle & CCC
E. Washer/dryer. Stackable or combo
F. Residential frig or RV
G. General floor plan

These are just a few of many. Decide on must have, nice to have, unnecessary and undesirable. Beware of "what you know to be true". Visit dealer and big shows. This is a big financial decision and you enjoy the research so put some time into it. Go to a big dealer like LazyDays in Tampa and spend a few days in coaches. There is a big RV show in Hershey, PA in Sept. There is the big Tampa Super Show in January. Blow some vacation time and it will pay off in satisfaction.
2. Consider a used coach. Particularly with a DP, you can increase your purchasing power tremendously by going to a 3-5 year old coach. If you spend the same amount you can find yourself in a top of the line coach.

My wife and I followed the above advise and in '06 we purchased the coach we have lived in since. After 2 years, I took over the routine maintenance myself. The coach has never had a breakdown and has not been in a shop except for some interior remodeling 2 years ago. I'm knocking wood vigorously.

Good luck in your search and safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Well my thoughts are I don't want to go to either place, Red Bay or Indiana. I have a DSDP that hasn't been anywhere for the 3 yrs. we've been full timing, except to a diesel shop for yearly maint. I bought a coach to travel in, not putting in to have things fixed all the time. Just my 2 cents.
I'm not sure I understand your point.

No one WANTS to go to the shop but in some cases it is best to go to the factory. I simply stated that if one needed to get factory service then Red Bay was probably better in the winter than Nappannee.

That also assumes that a customer can't get issues solved at there local dealer or some other place closer to "home" where ever that might be at that time.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #12

Uh Oh

[QUOTE=Steve Ownby;1675199]My wife and I have been full time for going on 7 years now. I have 2 suggestions for you to consider:
1. Before you drill down to the specific coach you want, spend some serious time talking out a list of desirables that are not coach specific.
A. Chassis
B. Engine/transmission
C. AquaHot or not
D. tag axle & CCC
E. Washer/dryer. Stackable or combo
F. Residential frig or RV
G. General floor plan

We may be in trouble--we are researching and shopping and hoping to purchase in a few months when my husband retires. And I don't even know what these things mean: AquaHot, tag axle, CCC. Help?
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
2. Consider a used coach. Particularly with a DP, you can increase your purchasing power tremendously by going to a 3-5 year old coach. If you spend the same amount you can find yourself in a top of the line coach.

Good luck in your search and safe travels.

Steve is one of the folks I listen to very closely.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I actually sold my 2011 36' Phaeton and purchased a 2012 40' Dutch Star for the following reasons.

1. More living space
2. Tag axle on a 40 footer.
3. Comfort drive. It makes a huge difference.
4. More horses, however, the tiffin pulled it's weight and toad well enough.
5. Better quality.
6. Total electric option was not available on the Phaeton.
7. Newmar's post sale warranty is just as good as Tiffin's

Tiffin has a great reputation on post sale warranty, which is necessary because of the many problems I had. Cracks in the side walls, cracks on the fiberglass roof, rotting wood in the wet bay and under the driver slide. Tiffin is building more units than their quality control can stay up with.

As stated in an earlier response, the Dutch is more of an equal to the Allegro Bus, but a significantly better price. I'm very happy with my switch to the Dutch Star and would not consider going back to Tiffin.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote