Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DW needs side mirror

As is typical on many Class A pushers, the passenger side mirror is mounted out front instead of on the side because of the entry door. DW can't see the mirror when seated in the passenger seat. She is much more comfortable if she can see down the side of the coach and particularly the white line on the road. Otherwise, she feels like I'm driving too close to the edge of the road.

I'm looking for a small mirror I can glue onto the door glass. There are plenty of fisheye mirrors available but they all assume there's a mirror or other surface pointed in the correct direction to attach to.

Looking for homemade or aftermarket solutions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
Community Administrator

All of the poor excuses for humor have been removed.
Let's have respect for the OP who's looking for some advice.
Thanks .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Suggest that you look into some 50's and early 60's mirrors. small mirrows round and oval etc. mount them just below the passenger side window. A lot of them can be found in antique and junk stores.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #4

I think it a good idea as it never hurts to have another pair of eyes watching and helping as long as it doesn't turn into too much passenger seat driving.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fit System 1705 Clamp-on Mount Universal Mirror from Amazon.com $9.66

Maybe you could clamp this mirror to the edge of the door so she could see it thru the door window.

Here's the link.
Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-17...de+view+mirror
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I would suggest you mount an aftermarket camera and small monitor near her seat. Mount camera on the mirror and run wiring with the power mirror wiring. Or alternately use a wireless one similar to those cameras used for hooking up trailers when backing in.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wborst View Post
Fit System 1705 Clamp-on Mount Universal Mirror from Amazon.com $9.66

Maybe you could clamp this mirror to the edge of the door so she could see it thru the door window.

Here's the link.
Bill

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-17...de+view+mirror
I looked at that very item earlier. Couldn't see how it would clamp on. The surface area the clamp seems too small for the job.

Thought about getting a rear view mirror and mounting it sideways on the door glass.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Search around long enough on Amazon and you get lucky.

http://a.co/dNRDLep

Not sure how it would hold up outside. I suspect I'll have to glue the ball mount to the mirror to keep it from moving around.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
and this.

http://a.co/7m4k2oe

found these by searching for rear view mirror instead of side view mirror. Go figure.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
I looked at that very item earlier. Couldn't see how it would clamp on. The surface area the clamp seems too small for the job.

Thought about getting a rear view mirror and mounting it sideways on the door glass.
There are motorcycle mirrors that would fit the bill that mount via an epoxy glue.

With the option suggested mount the mirror to a GPS flat suction mount (or something similar) with the screws and then use the suction mount on the side window by your wife's seat.

I just may go this for my DW. She too panics in close quarters. There's a portion of highway four on Vancouver Island where she has to keep her eyes closed on our return from the west coast because she is sure we are way too close to the passenger side cliffs as we climb up past Kennedy Lake.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Way back in the old days I've seen things mounted to the back window of trailers or large vans that would allow a wide angle view of what's behind. These weren't mirrors, more like convex plastic 'bubbles' that were just stuck to the window and would 'bend' the light coming in for a wider view.
I don't know if these are still available (or, obviously, what to call them), but perhaps a smallish one mounted on the passenger window would give DW the view she wants without obstructing yours.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Way back in the old days I've seen things mounted to the back window of trailers or large vans that would allow a wide angle view of what's behind. These weren't mirrors, more like convex plastic 'bubbles' that were just stuck to the window and would 'bend' the light coming in for a wider view.
I don't know if these are still available (or, obviously, what to call them), but perhaps a smallish one mounted on the passenger window would give DW the view she wants without obstructing yours.
Like this???

Wide-Angle Rear Window Lens | Canadian Tire
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, just like that! Thanks Possum.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
I would suggest you mount an aftermarket camera and small monitor near her seat. Mount camera on the mirror and run wiring with the power mirror wiring. Or alternately use a wireless one similar to those cameras used for hooking up trailers when backing in.

After getting a new car with factory back-up cam, we added after market cams to 3 other vehicles ...awesome!!

I would get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Chuanganzhuo-.../dp/B01ARR42W2

And feed a monitor like one of these or, if like us, feed the passenger side GPS screen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H04O41O

They only need a power and ground.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote