Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Dynasty Battery Disconnect

Working on a 01 Dynasty,In the door entry there is a switch called Battery Cut-Off Switch, When I turn the switch on & off I hear a solenoid in rear and it cuts off the stereo in dash but all lights are still on & refer, Is there another switch or 2 solenoids on this switch that may be 1 is burned out . His battery's are going dead. Art
prevostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevostart View Post
Working on a 01 Dynasty,In the door entry there is a switch called Battery Cut-Off Switch, When I turn the switch on & off I hear a solenoid in rear and it cuts off the stereo in dash but all lights are still on & refer, Is there another switch or 2 solenoids on this switch that may be 1 is burned out . His battery's are going dead. Art
When you turn the battery disconnect off in the door entrance, it should disconnect all DC power to your coach inside. Your dome lights will not work. Now your frig runs off AC power, so it will continue running if you are hooked up to shore power.
RayChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Art,
I have a 2001 Dynasty and hopefully I can provide a possible solution to your question.

I would suspect that you have one of the two 12 volt solenoid relays that has the internal contacts stuck in the ON position, even though the 12 volt control voltage has been been removed as a result of the rocker switch being turned to the OFF position as you referenced.

On my coach, when you turn the rocker switch to OFF, which is located by the entry steps, it should cut off all 12 volt power to components on my coach, except the refrigerator. This Battery Cut-Off rocker switch controls two different 12 volt relays (Cole Hersee part no. 24059, 12v, 85A, continuous duty relay). These relays are located in the front section of the rear run bay (electrical compartment) located behind the battery compartment. I as well had one of these hang up or stick on me which resulted in a problem similar to what ypu are experiencing. I diagnosed it by going back into the electrical compartment and jumpered 12 v control voltage directly to the solenoid and it started working. As a result I replaced both of these Cole Hersee solenoid relays, which can be purchase at most all automotive parts stores for around $20-25.

As information, my Norcold refrigerator 12v power supply is not controlled by the Battery Cut-Off switch near the entry steps. The refrigerator power is supplied from a 12 v circuit breaker located in rear portion of the same rear run bay (electric compartment).

Hope this helps and happy RV'g.

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Thanks' guys that confirms what I thought. I have a Foretravel with Aqua Hot and when you shut off the batts Aqua Hot-Refer and a couple of other things are not affected. I wonder why they use 2 solenoids? The owner of this coach just bought the coach so he's not sure what it;s supposed to do. Like I said in the Post I can hear a click in battery compartment and a couple of things shut off but all lights stay on. My coach came with a complete set of AC-DC-Air and water schematics, that makes trouble shooting much easier. If Jack or any one has a picture or a schematics of that compartment that would be vary helpful, Thinks; Art
prevostart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Art,
As you requested, I have attached a few photos that I placed in a PDF document that helps illustrate the layout of the rear run bay (electrical compartment) on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty. These photos illustrate the location and appearance of the 2 each, 12 v Cole-Hersee Solenoid Relays controlled by the Battery Cut-Off Switch. These photos also illustrate the location of the Circuit Breaker that provides 12 v power to operate my Norcold Refrigerator which is NOT controlled by the Battery Cut-Off switch near the entry steps.

As a follow up note, the sound of one of the relays snapping in can be confusing as you might think that all is well, but in reality the sound made by the one relay will disguise the fact that the other (2nd) relay is not actually pulling in.

Hope this helps and happy RV'g

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Cut-Out Relay & Refer CB.pdf (333.8 KB, 55 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery