Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 01:51 AM   #1

E bike covers on Jeep toad that don't block tail lights

New owners of two E-bikes that we will put on the back of the Jeep that is towed behind the motorhome. Looking for suggestions that will cover/protect the $4 K investments while traveling thousands of miles on the road. BUT the covers online that I am finding will block out the taillights of the Jeep.....not good. I can't be the only one who finally got in the E-bike game and have this issue. Can anyone shed some light on what they have done? Thanks!
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 05:37 AM   #2

I use a dual trailer hitch to mount my bikes behind the RV, not the Jeep.

I made some auxiliary lights for the back of the Jeep when the bike rack is there too. I use the 4-pin plug on the Jeep and wired to a pair of LED brake/turn/tail lights I bought on Amazon. They attach to the rack with some magnets. You can buy a magnet set of lights for trailering online too as another option.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:04 AM   #3

We bought the cover below for the very same reason - we have used it many times and in rather rough weather conditions and it has worked well. While our bike rack has tail lights built into it (Saris Door County), I would like to have maximum lighting at the rear of the toad and MH.

From Amazon:
Formosa Covers Bike Cover for Car, Truck, RV, SUV Transport on Rack - Protection While You Roadtrip or Perfect for Home Storage, Reflectors (Dual (2 Bikes))
Old 03-26-2023, 08:27 AM   #4

I added lights to the bike rack that aren’t blocked by the cover. I added a 4 way plug in, in the toad lighting harness.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
I use a dual trailer hitch to mount my bikes behind the RV, not the Jeep.

I made some auxiliary lights for the back of the Jeep when the bike rack is there too. I use the 4-pin plug on the Jeep and wired to a pair of LED brake/turn/tail lights I bought on Amazon. They attach to the rack with some magnets. You can buy a magnet set of lights for trailering online too as another option.

Morning, where do you plug the aux lights in?

Do you plug them into the Jeep or the wiring from the motor home?

Thanks

Frankie
frankiejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiejones View Post
Morning, where do you plug the aux lights in?

Do you plug them into the Jeep or the wiring from the motor home?

Thanks

Frankie
I have never tested my trailer light plug on my Wrangler to see if when the brakes/signals in the RV are used if that plug works also.

But if it does you could get these and magnet mount them to the bike rack https://www.amazon.com/p/B078GNDQQH/

I know people have stated that they use a double hitch on the back of the RV, but then what happens when you unhook the Jeep and want to take it to a national park and bike ride in the park? The is a pain to unload the bikes, move the rack to the Jeep, and load the bikes up again. I travel with my bikes on the back of the Jeep
mdntblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I added lights to the bike rack that aren’t blocked by the cover. I added a 4 way plug in, in the toad lighting harness.
X2^ me too!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, jeep, light, lights, tail lights, toad