Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #1

Early 30s couple - mistake buying Class A ?

Hello,

First off, if I am posting in the wrong forum, please feel free to move this or let me know...I judged this forum to be the most relevant.

My wife and I love travel of all types. We have been many places in the world and want to go to the rest. We fly many places but also are into the overlanding/off grid RV experience as well. I bought a new EarthRoamer a couple of years ago and have a bigger, very special rig being built by Global Expedition Vehicles right now.

With that said, we are considering buying a very nice Class A, perhaps a new Newell. We are so accustomed to not being tethered to RV parks in our expedition-style travel [or when we are in, say, Europe at the hotels of our choice] that I am wondering if buying a Class A would be a mistake, regardless of how nice it is. I am curious about insight on how it might feel to be very active, adventurous and in our early 30s but hanging out in RV parks [again, regardless of how nice they are]. Of course we could bring toys - perhaps even a stacker trailer with major toys like one of my special cars, motorcycles, etc. I've considered just boondocking because of the major fuel, power, and water capacities but the on-road-only characteristics and huge slide-outs really seem to cater to being in an RV park. That said, my wife rides horses competitively so the coach would get used at horse shows, though that isn't enough reason alone to spend $2mm++ and deal with all of the maintenance, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts and if I am missing anything.
buddilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddilly View Post
Hello,

First off, if I am posting in the wrong forum, please feel free to move this or let me know...I judged this forum to be the most relevant.

My wife and I love travel of all types. We have been many places in the world and want to go to the rest. We fly many places but also are into the overlanding/off grid RV experience as well. I bought a new EarthRoamer a couple of years ago and have a bigger, very special rig being built by Global Expedition Vehicles right now.

With that said, we are considering buying a very nice Class A, perhaps a new Newell. We are so accustomed to not being tethered to RV parks in our expedition-style travel [or when we are in, say, Europe at the hotels of our choice] that I am wondering if buying a Class A would be a mistake, regardless of how nice it is. I am curious about insight on how it might feel to be very active, adventurous and in our early 30s but hanging out in RV parks [again, regardless of how nice they are]. Of course we could bring toys - perhaps even a stacker trailer with major toys like one of my special cars, motorcycles, etc. I've considered just boondocking because of the major fuel, power, and water capacities but the on-road-only characteristics and huge slide-outs really seem to cater to being in an RV park. That said, my wife rides horses competitively so the coach would get used at horse shows, though that isn't enough reason alone to spend $2mm++ and deal with all of the maintenance, etc.

No, I don’t think you missed anything at all. Just enjoy!
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
No, I don’t think you missed anything at all. Just enjoy!
Well, if I didn't miss anything, then I am wondering if I am making a mistake pursuing a Class A because we don't know if the RV parks will be fun for us. Our perception is that it's mostly families and retired folks. We like families and retired folks but we want that adventurous environment with some like minded people who are into similar hobbies/activities.

I have been trying to find a thread of younger Class A owners to connect with.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I'd say if you can afford a new Newell in your early 30's you're doing something right! Enjoy the scenery, boondock, stay at RV parks, whatever floats the boat. Although we're not anywhere near our 30's, we've met some of the nicest folks RV'ing off the grid and in parks. RV parks, contrary to popular belief, are not like going to the Shady Acres retirement home. Even us old farts still like to have fun.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We’ve met a few folks in your age group who travel in a type A. They stay in the rv park and seem pretty active with whatever toy(s) they bring. I’ve never met a couple who weren’t enjoying themselves and I suppose it all depends on each specific couple. You’ll find folks who bellow long and loud about hating rv parks and folks who get along in them just fine. It’s how each of us create the experience I suppose. With your previous experiences you seem pretty flexible and adaptive and I suspect whether you like the experience or not will be positively influenced by that.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

This is great feedback!
Old 07-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Early 30s couple - mistake buying Class A ?

Don’t let the class of rv you have dictate the activities you do. We are not as young as yall but are very active. The rv park for us many times is just a place to park our home on wheels while exploring surrounding areas and they’re somewhat boring unless you’re camping with friends. And the age of the fellow campers varies greatly depending on what activities are close by. Sometimes we camp near a lake and bring our boat, sometimes in a 4wd park and bring our Polaris RZR. Future plans are to buy a Jeep or Bronco as our towed, and explore mining roads and ghost towns. We enjoy boondocking also. True we don’t venture as far as we might if we had a 4wd class-c instead of a 40’DP, but we usually are towing our exploration vehicle with us. We love the luxury of a class-A.

Oh and the ride is like you’re on a cloud.... with a fridge and bathroom lol
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

What robM said I agree with. The only thing I might add is that the large class a’s tend to be all electric … which means either plugging in, or regularly running the generator (even if you have solar). So … if you are serious about regularly boondocking, you might consider a “lesser” coach that is more heavily dependent on propane for the refrigerator and fir heating and hot water… propane is easier for boondocking compared to running the generator 4 or so hours twice a day…

Otherwise as others have said, people make of the RV parks what they want … a place to stay exclusively, or a”base” from which to launch adventures. My wife and I just stayed a little more than a week at the kaibab Paiute campground just west of fredonia AZ. kind of in the middle of nowhere (but not really). VERY well maintained and affordable (and an international dark sky site!).. yet about an hour away from all of lake Powell, Zion, Grand Canyon north rim, vermillion cliffs, grand escelante, a whole bunch of state-maintained hiking trails, and just a little further away from Bryce Canyon (also an hour or so from hurricane UT for shopping needs). We stayed there for a week, but went off on “adventures” almost every day…
Old 07-13-2021, 12:58 PM   #9

I bought my 1st Class A when I was in my 20's... I'm 51 now. Have had many RV types since then. Never once thought I made a mistake. I learned from every coach and RV that I have ever owned. I don't regret any of them.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sure. Buy one. Come back and post pics and let us know how it's going.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello,

Just an idea because as you say "you don't know what you don't know", and your perception is purely your own and we are all totally different, but what about renting a similar sized rig by checking out Outdoorsy or even AirBnB (they allow folks to advertise their RV's for rent), or other private large rig owner sites.

Hubby and I can totally relate, we are not RV organised park folks, started in our 30's now in late 50's and mid 60's. We love to boondock, and whilst we have often thought of upgrading our 18 year old gasser to a DP it is the access to some of the boondocking locations we frequent by lakes, rivers, streams, mountains, that have caused us to abstain.

By renting a private RV of similar size/weight for say a good month or so trip, you would get a feel for how it might be is my thought???? For sure you won't get as far back in some of the BLM/USFS arteries as you might with a lighter smaller rig but maybe towing the right towed you could be happy with a compromise.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Just an idea because as you say "you don't know what you don't know", and your perception is purely your own and we are all totally different, but what about renting a similar sized rig by checking out Outdoorsy or even AirBnB (they allow folks to advertise their RV's for rent), or other private large rig owner sites.

Hubby and I can totally relate, we are not RV organised park folks, started in our 30's now in late 50's and mid 60's. We love to boondock, and whilst we have often thought of upgrading our 18 year old gasser to a DP it is the access to some of the boondocking locations we frequent by lakes, rivers, streams, mountains, that have caused us to abstain.

By renting a private RV of similar size/weight for say a good month or so trip, you would get a feel for how it might be is my thought???? For sure you won't get as far back in some of the BLM/USFS arteries as you might with a lighter smaller rig but maybe towing the right towed you could be happy with a compromise.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Happy Travels.
Great point about renting something. Not quite the full experience as having my own brand new rig, but I would probably learn a decent amount to help inform my decision.

I appreciate all of the feedback. This is helping!
Old 07-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello,

When we were young and without children, we spent months in Europe.
Exploring and we enjoyed every minute of it, happy we did it.
We have been camping for over 30 years and still enjoy it today.
We have some of the greatest family memories from all of our trips with family and friends over the years.

You are purchasing the top of the Line. It is up to you to enjoy it.......
I can not imagine not enjoying the RV life traveling in that.
The Maintenance is a snap when you pay someone else to do it.
Just like owning a home, if your not handy then hire someone who is.
Update us with pictures of your new pride and Joy when it comes in.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I am wondering if buying a Class A would be a mistake, regardless of how nice it is. I am curious about insight on how it might feel to be very active, adventurous and in our early 30s but hanging out in RV parks [again, regardless of how nice they are].
Are you asking what the "scene" will be like in RV parks for people your age without kids?
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, class a