Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, like others...I have learned to connect the sewer, water, electric...before putting out the slides.

The one thing I really hated was doing the duck walk to access the dump valves during our stay. I wound up installing Barker AutoDrain motorized valve actuators and drive them with a wireless controller. Now, I can dump from my smartphone without climbing under the slide.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I guess I did find one solution....I sit there, moan loud enough so my wife can hear it and then complain about having to get something out of the bays. Often she'll offer to do it.
My wife just moans back at me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I have seen some Class A Motorhomes that have the storage area come out with the slide out. It looks like that puts a lot of weight on the slide out. Don’t remember the manufacturer or model. Another option is the have a tray that pulls out which most all Class A now have as standard or at least as an option.

The tray is nice, but you still have to crawl under the slide to pull the release so the tray rolls out. I just had knee replacement, not sure how that’s going to impact getting to the latch.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #18

Thank you everyone for the help. Unfortunately it confirms my worries. I guess a pull out tray is the best way to go for me.

Has anyone tried a short chair/stool on wheels? Maybe it isn't worth the space to store one.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The only thing I've figured out is to pull everything you need out of the storage compartments or hook up everything you need to hook up BEFORE you put the slides out. It's tough to remember everything but once you do it a few times it almost becomes routine. Then you need to remember to put your slides in first and THEN pack everything back into the basement. My knees and back thank me every time I remember to do it correctly.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
The tray is nice, but you still have to crawl under the slide to pull the release so the tray rolls out. I just had knee replacement, not sure how that’s going to impact getting to the latch.
I pray our new MH with power trays fixes this. Switch is on compartment door.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #21

Ended up in the Chiropractor's office after our first outing this year due to trying to get my tools out of basement storage.(and this wasn't even under a slide) Bought one of these roller stools and it works wonderfully. Even on gravel or grass I can set it at the end of a compartment, spin around and reach most of the compartment. Also saves my back lifting heavy items out of the bays. I have also found myself using it a lot in the garage at home when working on mowers and lower items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller seat.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	304100  
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #22

I have slide out trays but they don’t help that much.

I haven’t tried it yet but someone suggested a pool noodle slit full length stuck to the slide bottom edge cuts down on bumps and bruises.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just like "96 Wideglide", the two bays that have my tools, chairs and cocktail table, is between two slides....no bending.

I added an electric black tank valve and can dump my tanks from inside my coach, which really saves my back. I also bought a cheap rolling stool from Harbor Freight and use it to roll around the coach, even under the slide to wash and wax the lower half.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am 6’ 1” and have struggled with this issue.

I try to do what others have suggested. Get everything I think I will need out before the slide out are extended and put everything back after I put them in.

That only helps some.

My basement doors all open sideways and I have two power slide out trays. That helps as well.

I also try to store the least used stuff under my big deep slide on the drivers side front.

When I do have to go in I try to bend at knees and be careful, especially when I have to bend with something heavy in my hands.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
Hinge on the side, not on top is what he means.
Wouldn't that hinge be vertical???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
About the only solution is a horizontal henge and a slide tray.

It behooves me that it took the RV industry so long to go to a horizontal henge. No air shocks needed no ducking under a door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Wouldn't that hinge be vertical???
“Vertical”...Yes and the door is often referred to as a “barn door”. I would say my 08 Navigator comes close to covering all the bases...first bay is a 4’ barn door with switch on the door for the full length power slide. I added a second 4’ wide manual 3/4 length slide at the back of the LR slide...can open the door and release the slide without going under the slide. The wet bay and electric reel are not under a slide and the 4’ door opens upward against the MH...easy access to everything and another reason why I would not want a full wall slide.

I have a problem with the barn doors...should have made the MH bay wider. I cannot open the 4’ doors all the way so the slides cannot come out...cannot get to items inside as well as the top henge doors on the 04 Dynasty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32F898AB-E713-49E9-8B34-3F7BA5B6764A.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	304130  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #27
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I have slide out trays but they don’t help that much.

I haven’t tried it yet but someone suggested a pool noodle slit full length stuck to the slide bottom edge cuts down on bumps and bruises.
I use pipe insulation along all of my edges and have corner protectors on every slide out corner.

Went back inside and gave my granddaughter a big hug and kiss one day and of course she smiled and asked what that was for.

I smiled back and said, "Because you did YOUR job of putting those noodles on the edge of the slides Grandpa didn't have a big bump on his head"

I actually leave the black pipe insulation in place 24/7 even while traveling. Using a fresh razor blade the outside porting can be trimmed flush and it blends right into the coach lines. Sometimes when freshening up the stuff a little contact glue is used on the inside. The stuff lasts for several years and has saved my back and head so many times.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #28

Okay, we appear to have the vertical and horizontal planes figured out. Would anyone care to discuss latitude and longitude? Just a thought.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide