Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Basement Compartments Come out with slide

Three of our large storage compartments do come out with our large slide out. I keep lawn chairs, grill, other stuff that comes out at the campsite so I empty them prior to hitting the Extend button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CCC0943-89EA-4D23-A350-7CC66F534214.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	304191
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen the pool noodles used before. The guy had multiple florescent colors on all sides. Don't know why I haven't tried it yet. Still doesn't help under the slides. Thought about my bicycle helmet but haven't tried it.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
I have seen the pool noodles used before. The guy had multiple florescent colors on all sides. Don't know why I haven't tried it yet. Still doesn't help under the slides. Thought about my bicycle helmet but haven't tried it.

I just got a chuckle imagining someone donning a bicycle helmet every time they unload stuff from under their slides.... but it would definitely be better than a bump on the noggin.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purchased one of these:

Name:	Camping Pad.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	304196

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Pad/634956813

from Walmart. I cut it into six pieces (12" X 20"). I place one piece in each storage bay that's under a slideout.

As others have suggested, I do most of my bay loading/unloading while the sklideouts are fully retracted. However, when the need arises to retrieve something from a bay under a slideout, I use the piece of camping pad as a kneeler. It's much easier for me to reach into the bay to retrieve something while I'm on my knees and the pad makes kneeling on the ground much less painful (cleaner, too). I do try to wear a ball cap, too.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #33

I carry a couple of cheap gardening kneeling pads like this one -- https://www.lowes.com/pd/SAS-Safety-...Pad/1002439692

Still have to bend knees and kneel, but it's a lot easier on my back than anything else.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #34

I bought some door edge trim to apply to the bottom of the doors to both finish off the edges cosmetically and doubles to make the edge blunt to help the inevitable head bump.
Just need to find an hour to apply it before I hit the door again...
Old 10-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #35

When we were looking for a coach things were on our list.That the compartments came out with the slides or only two slides with one side of the coach with no slide out. Items I rarely use, mostly emergency items that are not needed when parked, are in the basement area under the slides. I would like side hinged doors.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
[QUOTE=Xmcdog;5474967. Would anyone care to discuss latitude and longitude? Just a thought. [/QUOTE]
OK...something about a picture and yes it’s a rainy day in GA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2E3194D1-71FB-472E-BE9A-B9AF8DF2DCEF.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	304282  
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I have seen some Class A Motorhomes that have the storage area come out with the slide out. It looks like that puts a lot of weight on the slide out. Don’t remember the manufacturer or model. Another option is the have a tray that pulls out which most all Class A now have as standard or at least as an option.
Our MH is built that way, Winnebago states no more than 300# in the basement bays.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmholt View Post
I carry a couple of cheap gardening kneeling pads like this one -- https://www.lowes.com/pd/SAS-Safety-...Pad/1002439692

Still have to bend knees and kneel, but it's a lot easier on my back than anything else.
Kneeling is not a problem, getting back up is.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
The best answer to the back problem I could come up with is still a poor solution.

Harbor Freight sells a rubber floor mat, used for standing on cement floors. The mat is thin so a little contact cement and I doubled the thickness of the mat. I then cut the mat into 8" X 20" rectangles. I made enough rectangles to put one inside each basement door.

Now, open a door, grab the mat and put your knees on the mat. Kneeling on the mat, under the basement door is much easier on my back and much better for my knees.

Not an ideal solution but better than nothing.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I bought some door edge trim to apply to the bottom of the doors to both finish off the edges cosmetically and doubles to make the edge blunt to help the inevitable head bump.
Just need to find an hour to apply it before I hit the door again...
My slides have corner guards on them and I still managed to split my skull on one, getting up from a storage compartment.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #41

There is no solution to this problem, save forcing yourself to get out of the seat and go get all the stuff out of the basement (water hoses/water softener/sewer hoses/etc and set it aside while you go back and open the slides.

Of course, this runs counter to the "don't make a fuss in front of the neighbors and get it done quick" school of thought that can't stand the idea of more than 30 seconds of engine run-time once parked (I like opening the slides with the engine running; so sue me).

Oh, and pool noodles on the slide corners.

Of course, until I can train the pool noodles to actually unload the basement items for me, it's still only going to be a partial solution.

After a couple of back surgeries and extremely arthritic knees, I'll do it my way.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good thread. If nothing else to confirm we all have pretty much the same problem.

I keep a large soft kneeler just inside the entry door - easy to grab and a real help. I added a piece of rope to make it easier to extract when done.

I have a slide tray, but dont find it much help with slides extended as there is reduced space as the tray is elevated.

My coach has the wet bay with sewer and other connections between the slides, so no problem there. A full wall slide would be a real pain in this aspect. My power cord bay is under the bedroom slide, which is much higher than the main salon slides.

As others, I retrieve and stow common patio items before slides are extended and after retracted.

Safe travels, and watch your head.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide