Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Easy to drive Short, Class A, do they exist?

Hi folks, Hoping to gain from your experience. I have a 2011 Itasca 26P that is just too tiring to drive. Constantly sawing on the steering wheel to stay centered in my lane. Anyone have a coach ~ 30' or less that drives nice? Mine has a bunch of aftermarket suspension items, has been to numerous alignment shops. I rule in the campground with the tight turning radius. My wife and I like the layout and it meets our needs once parked. The view out the front when driving is the best. I have been told my wheel base (158") and weight distribution (front is too light compared to rear) are the contributing issues. Any insight is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4192.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	225896  
F53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

You are right about the rear overhang being a problem. We have a Newmar 2702. The only "handling modification" is a front end alignment. In two years we have put 17,000 miles on it and we're very satisfied with the handling.
Any Class A gas chassis is going to have some body roll and sitting higher than a Class C is going to accentuate that. But ours tracks straight and requires very little steering correction.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

Yes, your shorter wheel base relative to the length of the coach causes the problems you are describing. When looking for another coach, divide the wheel base by the overall length. You want a result as big as possible. .5 or better is what you want to look for. Get as high as you can.

I do not understand why the manufacturer's make coaches with those long overhangs. They cause all sorts of issues including handling and hitting bottom.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #4

My 2017 Thor Axis 25.4 rides and handles pretty good.

Its built on a E450 chassis and the PO installed heavy duty sway bars.

I want to get the front caster checked and increased to near 6° to take out a bit of loosness while cruising along. Otherwise it handles passing trucks great.

You could have the caster adjusted on yours. They slip shims between the axle and spring to change it.

Like a bike with the front wheel out front, caster makes the wheel run straight ahead.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

Hmm... I think the wheelbase-to-length ratio "theory" is a bit suspect. Many gas coaches hover around 0.5; some handle well, and some poorly. The OP's coach comes in at 0.49.

I would like to know what improvements have been made to the coach, and what the values from the last alignment were, especially for caster. Also, has the coach had a weigh, either by axle or wheel ("four-corner")?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F53Challenge View Post
I have been told my wheel base (158") and weight distribution (front is too light compared to rear) are the contributing issues. Any insight is appreciated.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

Short wheelbase is not only hard to drive, but it's a major contributing factor in accidents. Unbalanced weight distribution is almost a given with that much area behind the rear axle.

As was already stated, take the wheelbase and divide by the overall length. Anything less than 55% is unsafe. 55%-56% is marginal. 57% and greater is considered stable.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I think the wheelbase-to-length ratio "theory" is a bit suspect.
https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-whee...o-hand-in-hand

"According to RVCG, under 51% is extremely dangerous; 51% to 54% is dangerous under many road condition and not adequate for general safety; 55% to 56% is marginal; 57% and over is usually steady on the road under most conditions. The higher the wheelbase-to-length ratio the safer it gets."
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

OregonJim-

Our coach's ratio is 0.51. We don't have to "saw at the wheel" to keep it in the lane. Four of five 2011 Itasca Sunstar models (the model the OP has) have ratios under 0.55. These facts make me think that poor handling can result from a number of causes.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
OregonJim-

Our coach's ratio is 0.51. We don't have to "saw at the wheel" to keep it in the lane. Four of five 2011 Itasca Sunstar models (the model the OP has) have ratios under 0.55. These facts make me think that poor handling can result from a number of causes.
Poor handling can be mitigated with suspension modifications, to a point. Safety cannot. Weight distribution remains an issue.

Just because a manufacturer sells 4 models under 55% doesn't make them safe or easy to drive. The RV industry is not regulated like the auto industry - there are LOTS of clunkers out there.

Most of the pushback to the wheelbase guideline comes from owners trying to justify their investment. Just a note for the OP to keep in mind.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Poor handling can be mitigated with suspension modifications, to a point. Safety cannot. Weight distribution remains an issue.

Most of the pushback to the wheelbase guideline comes from owners trying to justify their investment. Just a note for the OP to keep in mind.
Or maybe they just don't have the problem,or learned how to deal with it something for others to keep in mind
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

I know very little, but you guys got me to pull the calculator out. My coach is at 58% and I am very pleased with how it tracks. I can drive one handed and not pay any more attention than I do in my truck. Now...body roll is another issue!
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
I know very little, but you guys got me to pull the calculator out. My coach is at 58% and I am very pleased with how it tracks. I can drive one handed and not pay any more attention than I do in my truck. Now...body roll is another issue!
51% here, and I also drive one handed. The CHF fixed the body roll, and a track bar settled down the tail wag. I've not done anything else.

My wife takes it and leaves me at home quite often, and she says she has no trouble with it either, and lots of our driving is on the crooked roads of Arkansas.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #13

Where is the water tank located? If it’s toward the front maybe try driving with a full tank of water and see if that makes a difference?
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Okay, let's try something different here that "might" reduce some of your sawing action a little until you can come up with something else. How is your seat position to your steering wheel? I mean, how far back are you sitting. I'm 6'3 and in my pickup truck, I sit as far back as possible with my arm nearly at full extension. This creates a long fulcrum which will increase the steering wheel sensitivity. In my MH, I found that this position would not work as I was constantly correcting steering wheel position. Have you ever noticed how a NASCAR driver sits behind the wheel? Well you don't have to sit that close but if you can move the seat as far forward as comfortable, you will reduce the fulcrum moment, and you will drop your shoulders resulting in more positive control of the wheel. Other things will be unchanged such as the vehicles length vs wheelbase ratio but you will be a lot more comfortable. Try it, nothing to lose and it's free! Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a